Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

soldier They're in the Service

A scrapbook of WWII clippings from the Daily Star, Oneonta, NY, purchased at a flea market in Reading, PA. by Dr. C. Joseph Waring of Delanson, NY. The articles include releases, marriages and deaths of service people. Their does not seem to be any particular organization of clippings that are from varied months of 1945. I would estimate there are upwards to a thousand clippings here touching upon many Delaware and Otsego county servicemen and families.

Note: To reach photo of soldier, click on highlighted-underlined name.

copy of scrapbook submitted by Lodema Jenkins
electronic text by Joyce Riedinger who also is scanning the photos
permission to use on the Delaware website granted by the Daily Star, Oneonta, New York

This page contains Part 2 of Scrapbook

Jan 19, 1945

Sgt. Edwin Nelson Gets Purple Heart Awarded Medals
Sgt. Edwin J. Nelson
Cherry Valley - Sgt. Edwin J. Nelson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl J. Nelson, this place, has been awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in the European theatre in December. He has also earned the Combat Infantryman badge. Sgt. Nelson entered service March 17, and went overseas in September. Before going into the Army, he was a member of the faculty of Sea Cliff High School where his wife and two children now live. His brother, Pvt. George E. Nelson, who was inducted Feb. 11, 1944, was sent to San Diego, Cal., in July, where, shortly after his arrival, he was stricken with spinal meningitis, and has been hospitalized since. Dec. 24 he was transferred to a hospital in Philadelphia, Pa. Before entering service, Pvt Nelson was a member of the faculty of the Jeffersonville Central School. His wife and daughter are living with relatives in Bellrose, L.I.

Corp. Donald C. Miller
Corp. Donald Miller Injured in Action
Corp. Donald C. Miller is hospitalized in Burma for treatment of a leg wound, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Vivian Miller, and his parents, Postmaster and Mrs. Chester A. Miller, 62 Ford. In a letter received here yesterday, Corp. Miller said he is "receiving excellent treatment." He is believed to have been wounded in action about three weeks ago. Corp. Miller was employed by Preston Motor sales prior to entering service Feb. 26, 1943. He served at Camp Swift, Tex., and Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., and participated in maneuvers in Louisiana. He arrived in the Burma-India-China area in June.

On Furlough
East Meredith - Pvt. James Ferrara, Camp Wheeler, Ga., is spending a seven-day furlough visiting friends here.

Jan 10, 1945
Oneontan Missing; Laurens, Richfield Soldiers Killed
Intensified enemy action on the various fronts is revealed in the latest War department casualty list which names two soldiers in the Oneonta area killed in action in the Mediterranean, two missing from the European theatre, five wounded in the European front, and one wounded at Leyte in the Pacific. (The War department has kept next of kin informed directly of any change in status of men named on casualty lists).
Sgt. Irving M. Douglas, husband of Mrs. Irene M. Douglas, Laurens.
Pfc. Harold G. Brown, son of Mrs. Hazel Brown, Richfield Springs.
Cpl. Edward P. Reynolds, son of Philip A. Reynolds, 17 Watkins Ave.
Cpl. Douglas I. McKown, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert McKown, Franklin.
Pf. Albert (Bud) Lord, formerly of Delhi, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Lord, Middletown
Pvt. Gerhard Rottingen, son of Mr. and Mrs. Chris Rottingen, Seward.
Pfc. Perry TenEyck, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Perry TenEyck, Seward.
Pvt. James Huftalen, Meridale.
Pfc. Frank Gomiller, Cooperstown, husband of Mrs. Marie Gomiller, 433 1/2 Chestnut St.
Sgt. David Cortese, son of Mrs. Edith Nichols, Prattsville.

Cpl. Edward Reynolds Missing in Belgium
Cpl. Edward P. Reynolds, son of Philip A. Reynolds, 17 Watkins Ave., has been reported missing in action in Belgium since Dec. 21, according to word received yesterday by his father from the War department. He was honored Sept. 10, 1944, for "meritorious duty" against the enemy, by the award of the Bronze Star medal. He was a member of the famed Seventh division which was cited for its valorous stand late in October in southeastern Holland.

Unadilla Man's Wounds Serious
The names of three Oneonta area men are on the latest War department casualty list.
Pvt. Warren Newhall, Lexington, Grand Gorge central school graduate.
A/C Edwin S. Bundy, Hamburg, brother of Mrs. E.E. Scatchard, 18 Myrtle Ave.
PFC Norman F. Humphrey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Humphrey, Unadilla
Unadilla Soldier Badly Wounded in Belgium
PFC Norman F. Humphrey was seriously wounded in Belgium Dec. 24, according to a War department telegram received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Humphrey, Unadilla. The last letter received by the family was dated Dec. 15. Pvt Humphrey is a graduate of Unadilla central school.
Grand Gorge School Graduate Died in France
Pvt. Warren Newhall, Lexington, has been killed in action in France, according to word received here. Pvt. Newhall graduated from Grand Gorge central school in 1935 and played on the first baseball team to represent the school. Before entering the service he was employed by the State Conservation department and served as a fire warden on Hunter mountain. Pvt. Newhall is the third graduate of the school to lose his life in this war.
Brother of Oneontan Killed in Plane Crash
A/C Edwin S. Bundy, Jr., 19, of Hamburg, was killed Wednesday in a plane crash at Greenville, Miss. A/C Bundy, son of E.S. Bundy, was a brother of Mrs. E.E. Scatchard, 18 Myrtle Ave., and M.C. Bundy and Mrs. K.W. Root, Cooperstown. He also leave a sister, Miss Emily Bundy, Hamburg.
Restaurant Owner Dies
New York - August Janssen, Jr., 40, operator of a group of restaurants in New York bearing his name and formerly operator of restaurants in Philadelphia and New Haven, Conn., died Wednesday. He was a brother of Werner Janssen of Beverly Hills, Cal. musical conductor and composer.

Delhi Girl Weds Walton Sailor
P.O. I/c and Mrs. Adrian Sluiter
Delhi - PO 1/c and Mrs. Adrian Sluiter were married in the First Presbyterian church here Wednesday. Mrs. Sluiter was formerly Miss Margaret F. Hinckley, this place. PO Sluiter's home is in Walton.

Oneonta Girl Weds Soldier
Pfc. And Ms. William J. Reilly
PFC and Mrs. William J. Reilly were married this week in St. Mary's Church here. Mrs. Reilly is the former Miss Katherine G. Gallagher, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John J. Gallagher,, 72 Elm St.

To Return to Base
Cpl. Alfred Scorzafava has returned to the Pacific coast, where he is expected to be reassigned for overseas duty, after spending a 140day furlough with his wife and children, Paul and ronald, 27 Fairview St. Son of Mr. Nad Mrs. Santo Scorzafava of Childs, Pa., Cpl. Scorzafava served 30 months in the Southwest Pacific area, participating in three invasions. He was employed by the D. & H. railroad prior to his induction into the Army Feb. 14, 1942.
Corp. Louis J. Nadeau, AC, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Nadeau, 7 Reynolds Ave., has returned from 30 months overseas in the Mediterranean area and is spending a furlough at his home.
Corp. Clyde Jones has arrived in England, according to word received by his patents, Mr. and Mrs. Anson R. Jones, 31 Ceperley Ave. Corp. Jones entered service in October, 1942, and served at Camp McQuaide, Cal., Ft. Rodman, Mass., and Camp Hood, Tex. He married the former Miss carol Becker last Oct. 20, his last furlough home before going overseas.
F 1/c Stuart Butler, 9 Harrison Ave., is undergoing training with the Navy's amphibious forces at Camp Bradford, Norfolk, Va., and has been assigned to the crew of an LST, largest of the amphibious craft capable of making a beach landing.
PFC and Mrs. James Townsend, Camp Blanding, Ga.., are spending 15 days with his mother, Mrs. Mildred Forbes, 312 Chestnut St. His wife, the former Ellen Dutcher, laurens, is x-ray dental technician at the camp. Another son, PFC Larry Townsend, A.A.F., Hunter Field, Ga., is spending a furlough with his wife at Norwich. Mrs. Forbes has two other sons in service, Sgt. Donald Townsend, A.A.F., North Africa, and Corp. Kenneth Townsend, serving with an anti-aircraft unit in Holland.
East Worcester - S/Sgt. Glen Dibble, who was wounded in the South Pacific area, is visiting friends here. He will report next week to a hospital camp in Long Island where he expects to be reassigned to duty. Sgt. Dibble is the husband of the former Miss Minnie Rury and before entering the Army was associated with his father-in-law in the East Worcester Meat Market.

Pfc. Kennedy Gets Bravery Citation
Pfc. Thomas H. Kennedy
Pfc. Thomas H. Kennedy Jr., 8 Reynolds St. has been cited for heroic achievement with an infantry platoon near Pizzo di Campiano, Italy. The citation states that Kennedy and his buddies, between last Feb. 19 and 22, fought their way for nine hours up a steep ridge beset with trip-wire grenades while under fire from enemy small arms. There followed an attack by the Americans, counter-attack and exposure to fire from an enemy covered position in a house. The patrol killed the Germans in the house, captured their weapons, and dispersed another assault several hours later. In fact, the Ameicans took the offensive and inflicted casualties. Bring up artillery, the Nazis obtained high ground to the rear and isolated the Yank platoon. Lacking food, water and communications, and with ammunition running low, Kennedy's group "valiantly fought on and, with resolute courage, held their position throughout the night, repulsing well planned coordinated attacks until early morning when friendly artillery was placed upon enemy strong points and a relief party made its way through to replenish their exhausted supplies." "During this period," the citation continues, "the men once more displayed strong defiance, pluck and vigor in repulsing another enemy attack and withstanding heavy artillery fire before it claimed completion of its mission and success of the entire operation."

Soldier With 120 Points Wants to Stay in Army
Cpl. Joee Otello, son of Mrs. Angelina Otello, 15 Fonda Ave., has returned home from overseas on a 30-day furlough. Cpl. Otello was a member of the 330th bomber squadron of the Eighth Air Force operating out of England. He went overseas in August, 1942. He has a total of 120 points, but insists he still wants to stay in the Air Corps. At the end of his furlough, Cpl. Otello will report to Camp Dix N.J. for reassignment

Pfc. John Powers Wins Bronze Star For Heroic Action
With the Fifth Army, Italy - Pfc. John A. Powers, 25, of Oneonta, N.Y., recently was awarded the Bronze Star medal for meritorious service in combat on the Fifth Army front in the Italian campaign. He serves with the 87th Mountain Infrantry Regiment of the 10th Mountain division. Powers many times braved enemy shelling to repair breaks in communication wires between elements of the company and higher headquarters. Once, when a terrific barrage destroyed communication lines between his unit and a forward observation post, he left his foxhole fout times at the height of the shelling to put the line back into operation. His prompt action allowed the forward observer to relay information about enemy guns which soon resulted in their destruction by counterbattery. "Throughout the entire period, Powers performed his duties bravely and efficiently, gaining the praise and commendation of all," the citation stated. He entered military service Feb. 12, 1941. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Powers, live at 6 Lawn Ave., Oneonta.

Oneonta Soldier In Army Hospital
Butler, Pa. - Pfc. Robert Quigley, 22, of Oneonta, N.Y., is now at the Army's Deshon General hospital here for convalescence and treatment after serving 21 months overseas in the European theater. Pfc. Quigley was injured in France. He has been in the service 31 months. His wife, Elizabeth, resides at 124 Magnolia Ave., Jersey City, N.J., and his father, Benjamin Quigley, lives in Davenport, N.Y. Prior to entering the service, he was employed by the New York State Department of Public Works in Davenport.

Home on Leave
Pfc. Jack G. Dearbeck, who served two years overseas with the Medical corps. is spending a ten-day furlough with his mother, Mrs. Kenneth Finch, 346 Chestnut St. He will return to duty at Fort Hamilton August 31.

Going to Hawaii
Sea.1/c Dorothy May Moore, WAVE, daughter ot Mr. and Mrs. George F. Moore, 26 Otsego St., is home on a ten-day leave. She will leave Tuesday for the west coast for overseas assignment in Hawaii. She enlisted in May 1943, trained at Hunter College, and had been stationed at Washington, D.C. for two years.

Jan 28 1945
Stamford-Oneonta-West Harpersfield
Stamford - Eugene Francis Crosby, son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Crosby, Stamford, has been promoted at Fort Jackson, S. C., to private first class. He has been in service about a year. Pfc. Crosby has Good Conduct medal as well as medals for shapr shooting and flame throwing.
With Eleventh Corps Artillery on Luzon - Sgt. Michael Vargo, husband of Mrs. Margaret M. Vargo, 13 River St., Oneonta, N.Y., serves with the 517th Field Artillery Battalion under the 11th Corps of Major General Charles P. Hall on Luzon. Veteran of the North Solomons campaign, Vargo adds the Luzon action to his record, as well as the recent Ipo Dam offensive in the hills east of Manila.
The 31st Air Transport Group, England - Staff Sgt. Claude D. Fisher of Oneonta, N.Y. is assigned to the 31st Air Transport Group, 808th Air Engineers Squadron, as statistical clerk. It is his job to compile daily a list of aircraft serviceable and unserviceable C-47 transport planes of his group. Sergeant Fisher was employed by the U.S. Census Bureau as a clerk in Washington, D.C., prior to entering the service in April 1941. He arrived in England in May, 1943, for his present assignment with the 31st Transport Group. Sergeant Fisher, a brother of Mrs. S.M. Keenan, 50 Ford Ave., Oneonta, N.Y. is a graduate of Oneonta State Teachers college, attended Hartwick college and is a graduate of Duke university. He is a member of the Phi Lambda Chi fraternity.
1st Base Air Depot, Warrington, England - V-E day found S/Sgt. Kenneth C. Kimball of West Harpersfield, N.Y., on the job, helping to ready more combat planes and equipment for immediate action wherever they might be needed. S/Sgt. Kimball is son of Mrs. Mary Kimball, West Harpersfiled, N.Y. S/Sgt. Kimball overseas since August 1943, was employed by the Scintilla plant at Sidney, N.Y., prior to entering service in June, 1943. He attended South Kortright Central school, South Kortright, N.Y.

Killed in Action: Oneontan Is Hurt
Pfc. Hubbard - Pvt. Baldo
Three area casualties were reported over the weekend, according to the latest War Department information. One Cooperstown soldier has been killed in action in Germany; an Oneonta serviceman has been wounded; and a Lexington soldier seriously wounded.
Pfc. Robert J. Hubbard, Cooperstown, Is Killed
Cooperstown - This community records another war casualty, according to a War Department message received Saturday by Jesse D. Hubbard, Beaver Meadow Road, informing him that his son, Pfc. Robert J. Hubbard, 19, had been killed in action in Germany. A letter, dated March 22, had been received here by his sister, Miss Eleanor M. Hubbard, only a few minutes before she learned of the government message. Pfc. Hubbard, member of the 1944 graduation class of Cooperstown High School, who completed his course in January, was inducted March 18, 1944. He was assigned to the infantry and trained at Camp Maxey, Tex., and at Camp Polk, La. He was at his home on a 16-day furlough last August, and went overseas early in November. His most recent assignment had been as a messenger with the Ninth Army in Germany. Pfc. Hubbard was born here Sept. 16, 1925, son of Jesse D. and Addie F. (Eaton) Hubbard. His mother died when whe was 6. He attended P{hoenix Mills school, entering Cooperstown High in the seventh grade. Before entering the Army, he had worked his out-of-school hours in the local A. & P. store, where his courtesy and geniality won him many friends. His immediate family include his father; his sister, employed as bookkeeper with Cooperstown Electric Co. and his uncle, Wilfred Hubbard, who operates the Phoenix Mills farm with his brother under the name of Hubbard Bros. Mrs. William Meeneghan, Hartwick Seminary, is an aunt, and Kendrick Eaton, Cooperstown, an uncle.
Oneonta Soldier Is Wounded in Germany
Pvt. Pat P. Baldo, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Baldo, 28 Academy St., was wounded in action in Germany April 3, according to word received by his family yesterday. The telegram said he was in a hospital in England. Pvt. Baldo was inducted Feb. 12, 1942, with the first draft contingent sent out by the Oneonta Draft Board. He was stationed at Camp Lee. Va., and was sent overseas Oct. 16, 2944. He has been in England, France, Belgium, and Germany.
Pfc. Horace F. Miller, Lexington, Wounded
Word was received March 28 by Mr. and Mrs. David Miller of Lexington that their son, Pfc. Horace F. Miller, was seriously wounded in the right arm March 15. Later reports say that his condition is good and that he expects to be returned to this country soon. Pfc. Miller was inducted Oct. 7, 1942, and was sent to the Panama Canal area where he served 20 months. He went to France in November, 1944, and was assigned to General Patch's 7th Army.

United in Double Ring Ceremony
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Boyd Baker, who were married Saturday, January 19, in Sidney First Congregational church. Rev. Charlton Opdyke officiated at the ceremony. The bride is the former Miss Trudy Wuthrich. The bridegroom served 15 months in the Navy in the Pacific area.

Grave of Oneontan Visited in Holland
Sgt. Charles H. Dels, Syracuse, formerly of this city, visited the grave of his cousin, 1st Lt. Owen Jones, in a cemetery about six miles east of Maastricht, Holland, according to word received by the late lieutenant's mother, Mrs. Etherl Jones, Oneonta, RD2. Sergeant Dels, who was with the 187th Combat engineers, wrote a letter to his aunt that "the cemetery is very beautiful and an atmosphere of peace and quiet predominate. If one didn't know he was in Holland he could easily imagine it was near Oneonta." Lieutenant Jones was killed in action Feb. 22, 1945, in western Germany. His widow, Mrs. Esther Jones, and son, Roger, are living in Portland, Ore. A drawing of the cemetery Sergeant Dels sent his aunt contains the location of the grave. In the letter to Mrs. Jones, her nephew said that grass is being planted on the graves and permanent crosses will be erected and names engraved upon them.

Enters Service
Pvt. Joseph J. Fox, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Fox, 15 Forrst Ave., formerly of South Kortright, was inducted into the Army January 7 and is now stationed at Fort Hancock, N.J.

Officer Promoted
Major Clifford Silliman
Oneonta Officer Is Made Major At Base in Italy
Special to The Star 15th AAF in Italy- Clifford R. Silliman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford W. Silliman, 448 Main St., Oneonta, N.Y., was recently promoted to the rank of Major. He is a staff member of a Fighter Wing commanded by Col. Morris R. Nelson. In his capacity of engineering officer, Major Silliman is right in line with his training and natural bent. In civilian life he specialized in civil engineering and was graduated from Tri-State College, Angola, Ind., in March, 1940. After a short period with the Easton Car & Construction Co., Easton, Pa., he entered the service and took an aircrafts' mechanics course at Chanute Field. Following that the Army sent Major Silliman to Purdue University, where he took special courses in aeronautical engineering. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in December, 1941. The major's present tour of foreign duty began back in August of 1942, when he flew the Atlantic with the second P-38 group to enter combat. His theatre ribbon bears seven stars, to indicate his participation in the air offensive over Europe, the French-Morocco campaign, the Tunisian and Sicilian campaigns, the Foggia-Naples and Rome-Arno campaigns, and the invasion of Southern France. Of these he claims the Tunisian days were the most exciting, and represent to him many days and nights of foxhole memory. In November, 1942, Major Silliman flew to North Africa from England to take part in the North African invasion, but his plane didn't quite make it. He still bears vivid memory of "ditching the plane" in the Atlantic and spending several hours on a raft. Two weeks in the Libyan Desert also rank high in the experiences he wouldn't like to repeat. Major Silliman, who graduated from Oneonta High School in 1937 has a brother in the service at Ft. Myers, Fla., Sgt. George B. Silliman, whose duties are instructing in aircraft gunnery.

Sgt. Hughes, Pfc. Masker Wounded on Western Front
One soldier has received his third serious wound in action, another wounded in Belgium, and one is missing in Germany, according to the latest official War Department announcement yesterday.
Sgt. William H Hughes, son of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Hughes, 30 1/2 West St. Pfc. Howard G. Masker, son of Mrs. Ella Masker, 24 Broad St.
Cpl. Thomas Meehan, nephew of Mrs. John Horan, Schuyler Lake, and son of James Meehan, Olyphant, Pa.
Sgt. W. H. Hughes, Oneonta, Wounded Thrice
that Sgt. William H. Hughes has received his third wound in action since his entrance into service in World War II is the information sent to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William H. Hughes, 30 1/2 West St., by the War Department. The official telegram stated "seriously wounded." Sgt. Hughes was first a casualty when he was sounded June 6, 1944, in the D-day invasion of Normandy. He was transferred to a hospital in England and recovered in time to be put back in service for the Holland invasion, when he was wounded again Sept. 24. His last wounds were received in Belgium. He entered the service, Oct. 12, 1942, and served at Fort Toccoa N.C., Fort Benning, Ga., and Camp Mackall, N.C., before leaving for overseas in December, 1943. He is a graduate of Oneonta High School, Trinity Preparatory School, and attended Columbia University. Sgt. Hughes was prominent in athletics, receiving a scholarship to Columbia.
Pfc. Howard G. Masker Wounded in Action
Pfc. Howard G. Masker, 24 Broad St., has been seriously wounded in action in Belgium, Jan 10, according to word received from the War Department by his mother, Mrs. Ella Masker, yesterday. He entered the service in June, 1943, and was sent to Camp Croft, N.C., and Fort Jackson, S.C. He went overseas in October, 1944, where he served in England, Belgium, and France. Pfc. Masker attended Oneonta High School and he left school to go into the Army.
Cpl. Meehan, Formerly Of Schuyler Lake, Missing
Cpl. Thomas Meehan, son of James Meehan, Olyphant, Pa., has been missing in action in Germany since Dec 16. He is a nephew of Mrs. John Horan, Schuyler Lake, and he lived in that vicinity before entering the service.

Oneontan Missing
Sgt. LeRoy Turner
St. LeRoy Turner Missing; Franklin Man Is Wounded
Two soldiers have been wounded in the European theater and two are mentioned as missing in action in the same area, according to information released yesterday in an official War Department announcement.
Sgt. LeRoy Turner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Turner, 3 Woodside Ave.
Maj. Evan Tansley, former Cooperstonian, husband of Mrs. Margaret Austin Tansley, Cherry Valley, formerly a nurse at Bassett Hospital, Cooperstown.
Pvt. Harold S. Wilber, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Wilber, Franklin
Sgt. Legrand W. Sweet, son of Mrs. Grace Sweet, West Edmeston.
(The War Department has kept next of kin informed directly of any change in status of men mentioned on casuality lists.)
Sgt. Turner, Former Police Officer, Missing in France
That Sgt. LeRoy Turner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Turner, 3 Woodside Ave., has been missing in action since Jan. 4, is the information received by his wife, Mrs. Rita Turner, in an official notification from the War Department. He was stationed in France. Sgt. Turner received his Army training at Camp Adair, Ore., and Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. He was sent overseas in December, 1944. Cont'd.
A graduate of Oneonta High School, he married Miss Rita Gardner, Oneonta, in 1937. He was employed at the City Drug Store, and later with the D. & H. railroad. In 1942 he passed civil service examinations and qualified as a patrolman of the City Police department. He was so employed when he went into service.

March 26 1945

Oneonta Sergeant Receives Decoration
With the Fifth Army, Italy - Sgt. Marshall Bull, Oneonta, is congratulated by Maj. Gen. Edward M. Almond, commanding general of the 92nd "Buffalo" division, after receiving the Bronze Star medal for heroic achievement in action while serving on the Fifth Army front in Italy. (A.P.S. photo from Fifth Army)

Staff Sgt. Frederick Heck Killed in Okinawa Battle
Staff Sgt. Frederick R. Heck was killed in action on Okinawa May 13, according to a War department telegram received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Amand Heck, 14 Telford St. Sgt. Heck met his death in action just two days before his mother had received a Mother's day card from him sent from Okinawa. The last letter his parents received was dated in March. Sgt. Heck left Oneonta with Co. G and remained with that unit during its training in this country. He served in Hawaii, the Marshalls, Marianas, and Saipan before arriving on Okinawa April 1 of this year. Born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., June 20, 1922, he came to Oneonta the following year with his parents and attended schools here. He was a senior in Oneonta High school when he left for the service. A memorial mass will be conducted Monday, July 2 at St. Mary's church at 7:30 a.m. Besides his parents, Sgt. Heck is survived by six brothers, Edward of Philadelphia, Pa.; Leonard, of Fort Plain; Charles, 31 Burnside Ave., Amand, Jr., 41 London Ave., Pvt Joseph F., who recently left for an undisclosed overseas destination, and Gustave, of Binghamton; two sisters, Mrs. Gertrude Alger, 14 Telford St., and Mrs. Arthur O'Conner, Albany; and several nieces and nephews.

Soldier, Reported Missing, Is Home
By Margaret W. Carr
New Lisbon - S/Sgt. Elbert Hull, who was reported missing in action, arrived by plane at Mitchel Field, New York, Monday. He is with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Andy Hull, Garrattsville. Later he will return to Tilton Hospital, Fort Dix, N.J., for further treatment to his foot. Sgt. Hull entered service Jan. 1, 1943, and went overseas in September, 1944. He was wounded in February.

On Nagoya Raid
Delhi - Pvt. Richard Thompson has written his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. Harold Thompson, a graphic description of a recent raid on Nagoya, Japan, in which he took part.

Wounded by Nazis
Delhi- S/Sgt. Raymond Secord, this place, is hospitalized in Italy following a hand wound caused by a German mortar shell.

Pvt. Kenneth A. O'Brien, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur O'Brien, Goodyear Lake, has arrived in Italy. Employed by the D. & H, he trained at Camp Croft before going overseas. His wife lives at 4 Butler St.
Pfc. Melvin D. VanBumble, 24, with the 7th Army in Germany, has been awarded the Infantry Combat badge, according to word, received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. H. VanBumble, 3 Filbert St. Pfc. VanBumble entered service March 5, 1942, and has been overseas since last November. He was formerly employed at Sidney Scintilla.
1st Lt. John Disbrow, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Disbrow, 8 Draper St., has arrived in France, according to a letter received by his parents Wednesday. Lt. Disbrow joined the Army Feb. 18, 1943, and trained at Camp Wheeler, and Fort Benning, Ga., where he received his commission, and was later stationed at Fort Cooke, Cal. He is a graduate of Oneonta High School and Hartwick College.

Jan. 26, 1945
Pvt. Wilber of Franklen Wounded in Belgium
Pvt. Harold S. Wilber was wounded in Belgium Jan 3, his parents, mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Wilber, Franklin, were informed by the War Department in an official communication. Pvt. Wilber entered service Jan. 2, 1943 and was assigned to a tank destroyer outfit. He spent 16 months at Camp Hood, Texas, and was then sent to Camp Carson, Col., where he was attached to an infantry company. He was ordered overseas Oct. 24, 1944. He is the oldest of 11 children and his wife, Mrs. Violet Wilber, now resides at 10 Columbia St., Oneonta. He is the father of three children.
Maj. Tansley, Former Hub Interne, Missing in Action
Maj. Evan Tansley, Newark physician and surgeion, and a former interne of the Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital, Cooperstown has been listed as missing in action since Dec. 22 in Luxemburg, according to a War Department message to his wife, the former Miss Margaret Austin, daughter of Mrs. William Austin, Cherry Valley, and a nurse in the Bassett Hospital during her husband's internship. They have one daughter, Margaret, aged ten. Maj. Tansley entered service with the Army Medical Corps in September, 1942, with a captain's commission. He received training at O'Reilly General Hospital, Springfield, Mo., and studied neuro-surgery and brain surgery both in the United States and England, where he was sent in May, 1943. He was leader of a medical field hospital unit which went into Normandy four days after the June 6 invasion, and has since been with the frontline troops through France, Belgium, and Luxemburg, where he was last reported to be located. He was promoted to the rank of major last May.
Sgt. Sweet, W. Edmeston, Is Wounded in Action
Among the 2,637 names of soldiers wounded in action in the European area listed by the War Department is Sgt. Legrand W. Sweet, son of Mrs. Grace Sweet, West Edmeston.

Delello Brothers in Army, Navy
S/Sgt. Martin J. Delello and Sea. 1/c Bernard E. Delello, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Patsy Delello, 13 East End Ave., are serving in the Army and Navy. Sgt. Delello, who is in Italy, enlisted in January, 1942, and went overseas, the following December. In a signal Corps unit, he served in North Africa before going to Italy. Sea. Delello, who enlisted Jan. 13, 1943, served several months on convoy duty in the Atlantic. Last October, he suffered an injured foot, but is now back on duty.

Made Captain
Capt. Florence Walker
Sidney Nurse Is Promoted Captain
By Mrs. Blanche Baker - 2196 Sidney - Mrs. Benjamin J. Ellis of Riverside received a letter Tuesday from her sister, Florence Walker, that she had been promoted to captain. Capt. Walker is a member of the Army Nurse Corps, in which she is chief nurse in an Iceland hospital. Capt. Walker enlisted in June, 1943, was assigned to Madison Barracks, and later to Pine Camp, receiving basic training at Halloran Hospital, Staten Island. She is the daughter of J.S. Walker of Leonardsville, formerly of Sidney, and the late Annie Rogers Walker. Capt. Walker is a graduate of Sidney High school, St. Mary's Hospital, New York, and served at Carmel Medical Center, Municipal Hospital, Wadsworth, Ohio, and Bassett Hospital, Cooperstown.

Dykeman Due Home on Furlough
Douglas A. Dykeman, son of Mrs. Anna Cox, 75 Gilbert St., now serving with the A.A.F. in alaska, is expected home on furlough in March. In the recent issue of a magazine, the Oneonta soldier described how he used a road scraper as a grader for which he received a $25 War bond. Before entering the Army in May, 1940, he was employed by a motor transportation company. His brother, Sgt. Charles Dykeman, is in Europe.

Sgt. Earl R. Sutliff, Oneonta, Killed In Action in Germany on March 4
Mrs. Earl R. Sutliff, 40 West St., has received word that her husband, Sgt. Earl R. Sutliff, was killed in action in Germany on March 4. Sgt. Sutliff had been in service since Feb. 12, 1942, and was sent overseas in August, 1943. He received basic training at Camp Polk, La., and was assigned to a tank destroyer unit as a driver. Sgt. Sutliff, born in Kortright June 26, 1920, is survived by his wife; his mother, Mrs. Mary Sutliff, Glens Falls; a brother, Pfc. Charles Sutliff, in Germany; a sister, Ms. Thomas McIntosh, Glens Falls, and several aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews. A memorial service is planned.

March 12 1945

At Holy Cross
A/S Ralph M. Roland, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mayo Roland, Schenevus, who has been training under the V-12 program at Hobart College, was one of the 12 trainees transferred to NROTC at Holy Cross College, Worcester, Mass. A/S Roland was graduated in January, 1944, from Draper Central School, where he was an outstanding athlete and a member of the school band.
Sgt. Frank s. Kelley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas F. Kelley of 56 Elm St., Oneonta, N.Y., has been assigned to the A.A.F. Training Command Radio School at the Sioux Falls Army Air Field, Sioux Falls, S.D., for training as a radio operator-mechanic. Upon completion of a 26-week course, he will be fully trained to take his place a s member of a highly skilled bomber crew of the Army Air Forces.
T/Sgt. Raymond V. Beecher has arrived in England, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Catherine Beecher, 17 Church St. Sgt. Beecher was a member of the Oneonta High School faculty prior to entering service in February, 1942. He had served in Alaska and the Aleutians.
Mrs. Betty Barton, 138 River St., has received word that here husband, Pfc. Harry E. Barton, has arrived in France. Pfc. Barton was inducted into the Army in October, 1943, and served at Camp McQuade, Cal., Fort Monroe, Va., and Camp Somerset, Md. He is serving with the Signal Corps.
Pfc. Walter Renwick, recently promoted, is serving in France, according to word received by his wife, who resides at 440 Main St. His brother, Cpl. Homer Renwick, is in New Guinea.

Made Sergeant
Sgt. Frank Luscaskevge, Jr, 10 Boylston St., was recently promoted to that rank at Leyte, Philippines Islands.
Worcester - Lt. S. Walter Sperry has arrived in France according to word received by his wife. Lt. Sperry entered service in 1940, and was commissioned at Camp Lee, Va., in March, 1943.
Milford Center - Cpl. Harold Armstrong, who is receiving treatment for wounds at Tilton Hospital, Fort Dix, N.J., is spending a three-day leave with his mother, Mrs. Isabelle Armstrong. He returns to Fort Dix today for further treatment. Cpl. Armstrong enlisted in May, 1941, and received training at Fort Jackson, S.C., and Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. When sent overseas, he was first stationed in northern Ireland, and went to France in July, 1944.
1st Lt. Robert D. McGuinness, formerly of 31 Cherry St., was recently promoted to that rank, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Ethel M. McGuinness, who is spending the winter with her sister in Baldwin, L.I. Lt. McGuinness entered the Army as a second lieutenant last April and went overseas with a railway battalion the following September. He was stationed in Paris for a time and is now in Belgium. Lt. McGuinness was formerly employed in the stores department of the D. & H. here
T-Sgt. Raymond V. Bucher has arrived in England, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Catharina S. Bucher, 17 Church St. Sgt. Bucher, attahced to a port batallion unit, was a member of Oneonta High School faculty before his induction in February, 1942.

Completes Missions
1st Lt. Robert L. Hatcher
Lt. Hatcher Made B-25 Instructor
1st Lt. Robert L. Hatcher, 20 East St., who completed 35 missions with the Eighth AAF and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters, and two Bronze Stars for major engagements, has been flying B-17 bombers at Laredo Army Air Field, Tex., for the Central Instructor School since his return to this country. He recently appeared before the standardization board to request a transfer to B-25 bombers, which was granted. He has been sent to Moody Field, Ga., where he was assigned as an instructor. His wife, Mrs. Margery H. Hatcher, is with him. Lt. Hatcher, son of Mrs. Marvin M. Hatcher, was one of the pilots taking part in the famous shuttle bombing raids last year, which took off from bases in England, flew to Russia, then over Italy for bombing missions, and back to home ports in England. He also participated in flights over the European theater. His unit received a Presidential citation.

Oneonta Brothers Home on Furlough
S/Sgt. Earl M. Couse and Pfc. Ralph Couse are spending a 30 day furlough with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Couse, Oneonta, R.D.1. Both happened to arrive home on the same day, neither knowing that the other was to have a furlough. Besides being reunited after months in service, Pfc. Couse was able to act as his brother's best man at his marriage Wednesday night to Miss Marjorie Schultz, at Main Street Baptist Church. Sgt. Couse, who had been in the European theater for 31 months, had served in seven campaigns and had been stationed in Iceland, England, Africa, Sicily, Corsica, and Italy. In the air force, he joined the Army Nov. 2, 1939, and wears the European theater and pe-Pearl Harbor ribbons. He also has earned a Good Conduct badge and a Presidential citation. Pfc. Couse, who has been in service three years, returned home from South America where he had been stationed two and a half years. His ribbons include the Carribean and European theaters. He wears a Good Conduct badge.

March 16, 1945
Arrives in France
Mrs. Betty Barton, 138 River St., has received word that her husband, Cpl. Harry E. Barton, has arrived in France. Cpl. Barton was inducted into the Army in October, 1943, and served at Camp McQuade, Cal., Fort Monroe, Va., and Camp Somerset, Md. He is serving with the Signal Corps.

Sgt. Walter Gildersleeve, son of Mr. And Mrs. Walter B. Gildersleeve, Davenport, has arrived in the Netherlands East Indies, according to a letter received by his family. An upper turret gunner on a B-29, he enlisted Oct. 1942, and served 14 months in the Pacific.

Otego Soldier Is Killed; - Two Other Area Men Hurt An Otego soldier has been reported killed in action in Germany and two other area men wounded, according to official War Department information. One, an Oneontan, was wounded in the Philippines and a Schuyler Lake serviceman was slightly wounded in Germany.
Pvt. Marshall Sisson Killed in Germany
Mr. And Mrs. Charles Sisson, Otego, received word Friday that their nephew, Pvt. Marshall H. Sisson, was killed in action Feb. 19 in Germany. Pvt. Sisson was born April 17, 1926, in Sidney. For the past eight years he had made his home with his uncle and aunt in Otego. He attended Otego Central School. He was inducted into the Army Aug. 22, 1944, and went overseas in January of this year. Pvt. Sisson is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Benjamin Phillips, River St., and Mrs. Maida Ross, Buffalo, a grandmother, Mrs. Eva Sisson of Guilford; and several aunts and uncles.
T/5 William Paparteys Is Wounded in Action
T/S William T. Paparteys, son of Mr. And Mrs. William A. Paparteys, 24 Broad St., was wounded in the Phillipines and is now in a hospital there, according to word received by his parents. He has been in service for two and one-half years. A graduate of Oneonta High School, he attended Ithaca College and was prominent in athletics. He received his training at Camp Johnson, Calif., and was with the amphibious engineers.
Schuyler Lake Soldier Wounded in Germany
Mrs. Edward Duncan, Schuyler Lake, has received a telegram from the War Department advising that her son, Pfc. Howard J. Duncan, was slightly wounded in action in Germany Feb. 16. Pfc. Duncan received basic training at Fort Knox, Ky., and was sent overseas in October, 1944.

S/Sgt. William D. Martin has returned to Fort Thomas, Ky., after spending a three-day leave with his parents, Mr. And Mrs. Daniel Martin, 259 Main St.

Five listed here
Sgt. Robert Bathelmes, who had been stationed in Porto Rico for two and one-half years, is spending a furlough at his home, 50 River St., with his wife and daughter. He entered service Oct. 17, 1942. Sgt. Bathelmes is a graduate of Stamford High School and was employed by the A. & P., Oneonta, when inducted. His wife is the former Miss Helen Cronin, Oneonta, whom he married in 1941. Their daughter, Bonnie, is three years old.
Mrs. Andrew Hinds, 79 Hudson St., left last week for Fort Dix, N.J. to visit her son Pvt. Wilbur J. Hinds, who was wounded in action in Germany, Dec 23. He was returned to this country March 8 and is now in Tilton Hospital, Fort Dix. Pvt. Hinds was wounded when a land mine exploded, receiving a broken leg, abdominal injuries, and chest wounds.
Sgt. Harold Richards was appointed to that rank Dec 4, 1944, according to work received by his parents, Mr. And Mrs. Carl Richards, 63 Maple St. Sgt. Richards, who is with the Marine Air Corps, went into service Sept. 27, 1943, and trained at Parris Island, S.C. and Norman, Okla. He was sent overseas in May, 1944, and is in the Philippines. He attended Oneonta High School and was WORKING for General Electric co., Schenectady, when inducted.
Armand O. Roy, 159 Maion St., has been promoted from private first class to corporal, according to the Panama Coast Artillery Command. Cpl. Roy is a cook on duty with Lt. Col Thomas A. Rodgers' anti-aircraft automatic weapons organization. He has served with the Coast Artillery forces in Panama since Feb. 8, 1943.
An Eighth Air Force Bomber Station, England
The promotion of Cecil R. Colburn, 22 of Burlington Flats, to sergeant has been announced here. A ball turret gunner on a B-17 Flying Fortress, Sgt. Colburn is taking part in the bombing attacks against targets in Germany. The son of Mr. And Mrs. Howard Colburn, he was a student at Edmeston High School prior to entering the service in September, 1940. Sgt. Colburn is a member of the 384th Bomb Group, a veteran unit on the European aerial front with more than 270 missions to its credit. He is married, Mrs. Colburn living at Laurens.

Feb. 23, 1945

Wounded Veteran Gives legionnaires Graphic Picture of War
S/Sgt. Peter J. Petropoulos, who took part in the Normandy invasion and was wounded on D-Day plus 2, spoke at the annual banquet of the American Legion last night. Left to right, Edwin Moore, Harold Alger, Mrs. Robert Johnson, Sgt. Petropoulous, Helen Still, Robert Johnson, and Mayor A. F. Carson.
Sergeant, Wounded During Invasion of Normandy, Gives Oneonta Legionnaire Vivid Glimpses of Beachhead Battle
S./Sgt. Peter J. Petropoulos took the lid off the subject of battles at the American Legion banquet in the Windsor Hotel last evening and gave his listeners, a glimpse into what really went on at Normandy invasion and experiences of wounded man. He told of several false starts in which groups of L.C.I's spent days on the Channel only to be landed again in England. He spoke of the discouragements of such experiences. But his real story dealt with the care given the wounded. The sergeant was wounded on D-day plus two when a German grenade broke his leg and twisted the limb behind his back. Previously, he had been wounded in the left hand, and was hit twice by American bullets as he lay on the ground awaiting aid.
He had to be his own first aid man and swallowed all the sulfa pills he had, dusted sulfa upon his open wounds, but ignored the morphine because he knew his tourniquets had to be loosened occasionally and that if he were asleep he couldn't do that, and gangrene might set in. After a time, the Nazis picked him up and took him to a house where he was later rescued. When asked when he had been wounded, he told the medical men "June 8." They would not believe him and recorded it as the 19th, the date of the rescue. "The American soldier goes into battle with a great deal of helpful articles," the sergeant stated. "He has sulfa pills, dust, and morphine, besides the usual first aid packets." While he lay on the ground awaiting succor, he pulled himself inch by inch to bodies of dead comrades and took their sulfa pills. He spoke of the innumerable changes from ambulance to ambulance, finally arriving at an evacuation hospital on a beach that was being shelled by the Nazis. Finally, he was flown to England, put aboard a hospital train, and into a hospital, where real treatment began. Later he was flown in a C-54 to LaGuardia Field and 'phoned his sister, who fainted on hearing his voice. Sgt. Petropoulos has been a patient in Rhodes General Hospital several months and will be there for some time. The speaker told his attentive listeners that the German 88 is the "best gun in the world." He added that eight of ten wounded men questioned about the cause of their wounds said they were due to those 88s. In the invasion, each man carried 50 to 75 pounds, Sgt. Petropoulos asserted. I had two boxes of ammunition, with eight grenades hanging from my side, beside other equipment."
He declared that no prisoners were taken. "We had no facilities for handling them; we were ordered to take none. And when a G.I. was sent back with some they were dead in a few minutes." His injuries were received in hedgerow fighting after several men of the 27 he started out with had been killed or wounded. His lieutenant had been killed. The enemy had many strong points that the artillery then available could not subdue, so the Navy was signaled necessary information and its big guns soon reduced the position. The banquet was in charge of Edwin R. Moore, commander of Oneonta Post. Mayor Alexander F. Carson gave a welcoming talk in which he outlined efforts of the city to help the veteran. Robert L. Johnson, sixth district commander, outlined the G.I. bill of rights, what part the Legion played in its enactment, and how it benefits the veteran of War II. Mrs. Lucy Johnson, vice chairman of the Legion Auxiliary's sixth district organization, spoke on membership and declared that nine counties were already over their quota figures.

Arrives in France
Pfc. Stanley H. Trask, grandson of Mr. And Mrs. L. R. Boyd, 6 Pearl St., has arrived in France. He entered service in June, 1942, and served at Camp Gordon, Ga., Camp Croft, S.C., Fort McClellan, Ala., and Camp Polk, La., before going overseas. He is attached to a Chemical Warfare Battalion.

In the Philippines
Pfc. Warren Houghton, brother of Mrs. Charles Markle, 29 Chestnut St., has arrived in the Philippines.

Feb 3, 1945

Four Area Boys Are Casualties
Oneontan Dead In Philippines; Three Wounded
1st Lt. David William Hodges, son of Mrs. Hazel Ehrman of 12 Cliff St., is Oneonta's second fatal casualty from action of Luzon, according to an official War Department announcement. The first Oneontan to lose his life in the latest Philippine campaign was Cpl. George Papageorge, who was killed in action last month. The casualty list also announces three soldiers wounded in action, one at Luzon, and two in Germany.
1st Lt. David William Hodges, son of Mrs. Hazel Ehrman of 12 Cliffside Ave.
Lt. Harry D. Archer, son of Mrs. Harry E. Archer, Sidney.
Sgt. Fred Barry, son of Mr. And Mrs. Arthur Barry, New Britain, Conn., formerly of Grand Gorge
Pvt. Francis Madden, son of Mrs. Esther Madden, Jefferson.
(In case of divergence between this list and information sent to the next of kin, the last War Department telegram or letter to the next of kin is always the appropriate final authority on the status of a soldier.)
Lt. David Hodges, Oneonta Killed in Action on Luzon
1st Lt. David William Hodges, 185th Infantry, was killed in action Feb. 11, on Luzon, according to word received by his mother Mrs. Hazel Ehrman of 12 Cliff St.
Lt. Hodges left Oneonta with Co. G. in 1941 as a sergeant, going first to Ft. McClellan, Ala, and then to Hawaii. He was returned to this country to attend Officers Candidate School at Ft. Benning, Ga. After graduation he was transferred to Fort Ord, Calif, where he was attached to the 104th "Timber Wolf" Division. In January, 1944, he volunteered for overseas duty and was sent to New Britain, where he served until January, 1945, when he was sent to the Philippines.
He was the first veteran of World War II to join the local Veterans of Foreign Wars. He attended the United Presbyterian Church. Before entering service he was employed by Coville Winsor, Oneonta broker. Sgt. Hodges was born Jan. 23, 1921, at Utica, the son of David W. and Hazel (Champlin) Hodges. He is survived by his mother, a brother, Pfc. Robert C. Hodges, serving in the European area; an aunt, Mrs. Marlon Hoose, Mt. Vision; an uncle, Cecil Champlin, 5 Ivy Ct; a great uncle, Albert H. Straight, and three cousins.
Lt. Archer of Sidney Is Wounded in Philippines
A letter was received Feb. 19 by Mrs. Harry E. Archer, Sidney, from her son, Lt. Harry D. Archer, who has been in action on Luzon, stating that he had been wounded by a Japanese machine gun and received a broken left thigh bone. His letter, dated Feb. 6, said that he had been in a cast from the waist down since Feb. 3.
Lt. Archer has been in service four years and has served in the south Pacific for nearly three years. He was a member of the R.O.T.C. while attending Cornell University. He was graduated just before entering service.
Pvt. Madden of Jefferson Is Wounded in Germany
Mrs. Esther Madden, Jefferson, has received a telegram from the War Department, that her husband, Pvt. Francis Madden, was slightly wounded in action on Feb. 12 in Germany. The telegram stated that a letter would follow with the details direct from the hospital. Pvt. Madden entered service May 9, 1944, and received basic training at Camp Blanding, Fla., and Fort George G. Meade, Md. He went overseas in December, and has been in England, France, Belgium, and Germany.
Sgt. Fred Barry, Formerly of Grand Gorge, Wounded
Sgt. Fred Barry, son of Mr. And Mrs. Arthur Barry of New Britain, Conn., formerly of Grand Gorge, has been wounded in Germany, according to a telegram received by his brother, John Barry. Sgt. Barry stepped on a hidden mine and shrapnel pierced both arms. At the present time he is in a field hospital in Germany.

East Worcester Soldier Is Dead in Belgium
East Worcester-Pvt. Mahlon B. Zeh, 24, has died of wounds suffered in Germany Feb. 8, according to a War Department telegram received Sunday by his parents, Mr. And Mrs. Olin Zeh, this place. His death occurred in Belgium, the telegram said. Besides his parents, he leaves a wife and three children, three sisters, and three brothers. One brother, Pvt. Marvin Zeh, who is spending a furlough with his parents, reports to California this week.

Oneontan Honored
Sgt. Herbert W. Odell Wins Silver Star Special to the Oneonta Star
With the 27th Infantry Division in the Pacific - During the fighting on Saipan for possession of the Jap-held Island Sgt. Herbert W. Odell of 35 Otsego St., Oneonta, N.Y., experienced two of the longest days and nights of his life. As the result of his gallant action during those days Sgt. Odell of the Knickerbocker Regiment of the famed 27th was recently awarded the Silver Star medal. He, with another sergeant and several other men, was marooned behind the Japanese lines for some 96 hours. In that area they experienced the terror of being shelled by their own artillery. In finding their way back to friendly positions, Sgt. Odell and his companions killed five Japs in addition to locating three enemy machinegun positions. When they were again within their own lines they immediately reported the location of the enemy machineguns to their battalion commander as well as the location of some of our wounded. The citation Sgt. Odell received with his medal appropriately read, "For Gallantry in Action."

Llewellyn - Wright
S/Sgt. Earl Llewellyn, son of Mr. And Mrs. S. E. Llewellyn, Cliffside, Goodyear Lake, was recently promoted to this rank in France. Wounded in the European theater on Oct. 4, 1944, Sgt. Llewellyn has fully recovered and returned to duty Jan. 2.
S/Sgt Robert Wright and Pvt. Leon Wright, sons of Mr. And Mrs. Ernest Wright, 81 Main St., met for the first time in four years when they spend recent furloughs at their home. Both served in the Pacific area. Robert has returned to Camp Upton.

March 3, 1945
Oneontan Wins Citation as Saipan Invasion Gunner
Pfc. Paul L. Rorick, son of Mr. And Mrs. Arthur J. Rorick, of 52 Cedar St., has received a citation for "excellent service as a member of a 75mm gun crew in action against enemy Japanese forces during the invasion and capture of Saipan, Marianas Islands, June 15-July9, 1944." According to the citation, signed by Maj. Gen. C.B. Gates, commanding the Fourth Marine Division, Pfc. Rorick's "initiative, skill in the operation of his weapon and devotion to duty contributed materially to the success of his unit." In presenting the well earned awards to one officer and 42 enlisted men for services performed during the operations against Saipan and Tinian, Col. W.W. Wensinger, commanding officer said: "It is regretted that these citations and commendation certificates were not received in time to permit a ceremony ashore. It is significant that you are all enroute to your next objective as your outstanding performances at the last one are being formally recognized by these awards. "One year ago you were flushing the enemy out of the drainage ditches of Dyess airfield on Rol. Just six months ago today you were completing final moping up phase on Tinian. A few weeks from today you will have completed or will be in the process of completing another task assigned to us. "To each and every one of you I want to express the gratitude of the President of the United States, the Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force and the Division Commander for a job well done. It is needless for me to say that I, your officers and your buddies are proud of you. We all salute you, and we trust that you will again have that strength and courage which you so clearly demonstrated when you last met the Jap in his own back yard. This time we are going onto his front porch, and we are going to push him off of it." Pfc. Rorick, now believed to be with the Marines on Iwo jima, is a graduate of Oneonta High School. He enlisted in the Marine Corps July 20, 1942, and served at Camp Pendleton, Cal., before embarking for overseas duty.

Arrives Overseas
Pvt. Ralph K. Simmons,_7 Hudson St., has arrived in the European area, according to information received by his wife. He was inducted July 24, 1944, and received basic training at Camp Wheeler, Ga.

Maple Grove - Mr. And Mrs. Will Emerson received a letter last week from their son Cpl. Maynard Emerson, U.S.M.C., that he has been promoted to that rank and is in charge of shipping and storage in the engineering section at the base depot at San Francisco, Calif. Cpl. Emerson has been in service since Feb. 17, 1944. His wife is spending a month with him.

Ends Leave
Gilbertsville - Sea. 1/c Howard Birdsall returned Wednesday to Boston, after spending a 30 day leave with his mother, Mrs. John Birdsall. He graduated from central school in 1939, and worked at Scintilla until June 19, 1944, when he enlisted in the Navy. Sea. Birdsall received boot training at Sampson and was sent to the Mediterranean area.

On Sea Duty
T 2/c Frederick A. Catella, son of Mr. And Mrs. James Catella, 77 Hudson St. is on sea duty in the Pacific area. He entered service May 25, 1944, and received boot training at Sampson.

Pvt. John B. Post, 34 Cherry St., who was reported missing in action in Germany Feb. 9 has written his wife that he had been wounded, but was safe in Belgium. Pvt. Post, who was inducted June 15, 1944, received basic training at Camp Croft, S. C., and went overseas Dec 10, 1944.

Miss Beatrice J. Parish, daughter of Col. And Mrs. E. J. Parish, 75 Chestnut St., recently arrived in this country after 16 months with the Red Cross in the Pacific area.

List of Fourteen
Sea. 1/c Walter Muckle, who participated in the invasion of the Philippines, has been awarded the Bronze Star, according to word received by his parents, Mr.and Mrs. Henry F. Muckle, 3 Fair St. Seaman Muckle, who attended Oneonta High School, was employed by the D & H railroad prior to his induction into the Navy last April 27.
Fort Oglethrope, Ga., Pvt. Margaret B. Tripp, daughter of mr. and Mrs. R. Tripp, Oneonta Mountain, who has been stationed at the Third Training Center of the Women's Army Corps here, has been assigned to Newark A. A.F., Post of Newark, N.J.
Pvt Vernon R. Collins, 36 of 469 Main St. is a member of a harbor craft company, stationed with a United States Army Transportation Corps port in England. He is helping to maintain the flow of allied troops and supplies to the front line.
T/Sgt. Edward Deery, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward F. Deery, 164 East St., and Capt. John Powers, son of Mr. and Mrs. John J. Powers, 5 Hill Pl., met recently in the Philippine Islands. Father Powers is a Catholic chaplain attached to the paratroop infantry. This is the first time the two men had met since they were stationed at Fort Jackson, S.C., three years ago. Sgt Deery is the husband of Mrs. Vivian Deery, Norwich.
1st Lt. G. Palmer Bennett has been transferred to Luxemberg, according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Giles Bennett, 1 Pearl St. Lt. Bennett is with the Quartermaster Corps in the 80th Division under Gen. Patton.
Lake Placid - T/4 James H. Johnston, 3 Grand St., Oneonta, son of Mrs. Florence Johnson, who recently returned from overseas duty has reported to the Army Ground and Service Forces Re-distribution station at Lake Placid Club, N.Y. Sgt Johnston entered the service April 9, 1941 and was overseas for 42 months in the Central Pacific theatre of operations. He participated in the Marshall campaign.
Harold R. Foster, son of Mrs. Willard Foster of Wells Bridge, R.D. 1, has been chosen by the Navy for duty aboard an L.S.M. (Landing Ship, Medium. He was inducted into the Navy last August. Now stationed at the Amphibious Training Base in Little Creek, Va., Foster is preparing for duty in the Pacific on one of the new fast tank carriers.
2nd Lt. Celia K. Carline, ANC, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Ottavio at 438 Main St., has completed here basic military training and was recently graduated from the basic training center for Army nurses, an Army Service Force facility, at Camp Rucker, Ala. Lt. Carline is a graduate of Bellevue Hospital School of Nursing, Ne3w York City. She enlisted in the Army Nurse Corps Jan. 1.
Ambrose Jackson. 1 Mickle Pl., is serving basic training at Sampson Naval Training Station. He was inducted with a Walton group Jan. 11.
Mt. Vision - Pvt. Ellsworth Castle has arrived in France, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Ruth Castle, this place. Pvt. Castle, who left with the Selective Service contingent on June 15, 1944, trained at Camp Blanding, Fla. and Mt. Meade, Md., before going overseas in November.
Jaime H. MacInnis, son of Jack MacInnis manager of the Oneonta Sears Roebuck store, left yesterday for New York City to enter the Navy. He was inducted two weeks ago. Because of his pre-medical training at the Citadel Military College, Charleston, S.C., he has been assigned to the Naval Hospital Corps.
Fort Thomas, Ky. - S/Sgt. William J. Dyer, 24-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. G. R. Dyer, South Kortright, N.Y. has arrived at the Army Air Forces Convalescent Hospital at Fort Thomas, Ky., for a period of rest, recreation and therapy. Sgt. Dyer went overseas on July 27, 1941, and returned to the United States July 15, 1944. He flew three missions as an armorer-gunner on a B-17 Flying Fortress and was awarded the European theatre ribbon. He is a graduate of Stamford Seminary, Stamford, N.Y., and entered the service March 19, 1940.
Tenopah, Nev. - Staff Sgt. Walter B. Gildersleeve, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Gildersleeve of Davenport, N.Y., qualified as a sharpshooter with the 45 caliber pistor, it was announced by Colonel John A. Feagin, commanding officer of the Tonopah Army Air Field, only Fourth Air Force base in Nevada.
Jefferson - Pvt. Francis Madden, with the Infantry in Belgium, has received a Presidential citation for bravery. According to word received by his wife, mrs. Esther Madden, Jefferson.

List of Four
T/5 James A Hogan was recently promoted to that rank in the Aleutians where he has been stationed for a year and a half, according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. F. Hogan, 21 Didision St.
Pvt. Ernest A. Torrey has returned to Fort Benning, Ga., after spending a 14-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Torrey, Cliffside, Goodyear Lake.
Sidney - Maj. Carl Cook is in a hospital near Paris, according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. W. Cook. He wrote that he expected to return to duty soon.
Pvt. Ralph Blanchard, Infantry, is hospitalized in Belgium for treatment of scarlet fever, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Gladys Blanchard, 275 Main St.

Feb 1945

Enlists in AAF - Home on Leave
Dean McGowan, 18, son of Mr. and Mrs.Dean McGowan, 8 Grove St., reports today at Fort Dix, N.J. McGowan enlisted in the Air Force Reserve July 12, 1944. He was employed at City Drug Store for the past 15 months.
Pvt. Robert Buckingham, son of Dr. and Mrs. Harold C. Buckingham, 64 Chestnut St., arrived Saturday night to spend an eight-day leave with his parents. He is attending the City College of New York, and was a student at Wyoming Seminary prior to his induction into the Army last August.

Feb 15, 1945

Former Jap POW, Others Back in States
Arrival in San Francisco of Staff Sgt. Richard B. Dubois, Grand Gorge, a former Japanese prisoner, was announced Thursday along with the homeward deployment of two Oneonta women and 32 other area men. A total of 35 names were listed - 27 honorably discharged through Fort Dix and seven new arrivals via ships. Sergeant Dubois landed Tuesday on the SS Joseph Dyckman. Staff Sgt. Harold D. Reed and Pfc. Harry F. Carr, both of Cooperstown, were on the SS Howard Victory, which docked at Boston Tuesday. On the SS Marine Wolf due Wednesday at New York were Pfc. Carmen J. Vagliardo. Oneonta; Pfc. Norman E. Wentworth. Cherry Valley; and Sgt. Milford E. Dyer, Walton. Sgt. Robert B. Goss, Harpersfield, and T/ Ichabod S. Cocke, Davenport, arrived Thursday at Newport News, Va., on the SS Blue Ridge Victory. Those discharged through Fort Dix were: Sgt. Martha H. Disbrow, 82 Clinton St.; 1st Lt. Mildred D. Otto, 306 Chestnut St.; Pvt. Lamont H. Rutan, 35 Grove St.; Pfc. Fred J. Koerner, 63 West Broadway; Pfc. John W. Georgeson, 159 Main St.; T/4 Henry D. White, 36 East End Ave.; T/5 orlo R. Thayer, 2 Van Woert Ave.; and Sgt. Lester W. Perry, 13 Liberty St., all of Oneonta. Staff Sgt. Harry M. Wilsey, Schoharie; T/5 James H. Adsit, Riuchfield Springs; Sgt. Gerald W. Butler, Cooperstown; T/5 Lavern R. Charles, Unadilla; T/4 Donald M. Wallace, Burlington Flats; Pfc. William F. Walker, Walton; T/5 William E. Wilson, Andes. Cpl. Louis P. Dimicco, Sidney; Capt. James M. Lynch Jr. Cooperstown; T/4 Georege H. Ronk, Fishs Eddy; Sgt. Robert J. Mahoney, South New Berlin; Sgt. Paul D. Jones, Hobart; T/5 Raymond E. Bennett, Apex, town of Walton; and T/5 Carroll G. Bussey, Otego. T/5 Charles Vurchank, Worcester, RD 2; T/5 Hervert VanValkenburgh, Roxbury, RD 1; Staff Sgt Clarence Ostrander, Delhi; T/3 Clause W. Newcombe, Fleischmanns; and T/4 Floyd L. Kenyon, Deposit, RD1.

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger