Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site
Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager
Towns of Delaware County
ANDES* - was formed from Middletown, April 13, 1819. It lies on the S.E. border of the co., E. of the center. Its surface is a broken and hilly upland, intersected by the deep, narrow ravines of the E. branch of the Delaware and its branches. The hills are high, rocky, and irregular, and are bordered by steep declivities. The Delaware flows S.W. through near the center of the town. Trempers Kil, Little Bush Kil, and Shaw Brook are the other principal streams. The valleys of these streams are all narrow and tortuous and are bordered by rocky hillsides. A considerable portion of the town is still covered with forests. The soil is a clayey and shaly loam underlaid by hardpan upon the hills, and a gravelly loam of good quality in the valleys. Andes, (p.v.,) on Trempers Kil, in the N. part of the town, contains an academy, 3 churches, a flouring mill, and 2 tanneries. Pop. 350. Cabin Hill, (p.o.) in the N.W., is a hamlet. Shavertown and Trempers Kil are p. offices. Permanent settlement commenced in 1784. A few farms were taken up prior to the Revolution, but were abandoned. The W. part of the town began to be settled in 1794-96.** Rev. Mr. House, of Colchester, held the first religious meetings, in 1797.
*Named from the mountainous character of its surface.
**Among the first settlers were James Phoenix, ___Olmsted, Peter Burgher, Joseph Erskine, Silas Parish, E. Washburn, Eli Sears, Jacob, Adam, and Philip Shaver, and Philip Barnhart. The first birth was that of Philip, son of Adam Shaver, Oct. 9, 1786; the first marriage, that of Henry Myers and Catharine Shaver, June 17, 1789; and the first death, that of Wm. June. Wm. Washburn taught the first school in 1792-93; Edward Sands kept the first store, Russell Comstock the first inn, and Robt. More built the first mill on Trempers Kil in 1797.
BOVINA* - was formed from Delhi, Stamford, and Middletown, Feb. 25, 1820. It is an interior town, lying directly E. of the center of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep valleys of small streams. The highest summits are 1500 to 2500 ft. above tide. The streams are Little Delaware River, flowing W. through the center of the town, Bush Creek, the outlet of Teunis Lake, and Coulter, Maynard, Mountain, and Grants Brooks. The valleys of these streams are narrow and are bordered by steep, rocky hillsides. Teunis Lake (S.) and Landons Lake (W.) are small bodies of water. The surface is stony and the soil is generally a clay loam, admirably adapted to grazing. Brushland, (p.v.,) on the Little Delaware, contains a tannery, gristmill, and clothing works. Pop. 183. Bovina, (p.v.,) at the junction of Maynard and Mountain Brooks, contains about a dozen houses. The first settlement was begun in 1792, by Elisha B. Maynard, and during the succeeding 3 years many families from Conn. and Scotland located in the valleys.** Rev. James Richie conducted the first religious services, in 1795. The first church (Un. Presb.) was formed in 1809. The census reports 3 churches, M.E., Asso. Presb., and Ref. Presb.
*Name applied by Gen. Erastus Root, from the Latin, in allusion to its fitness for grazing.
**Francis Coulter, Levi and Jacob Mabie, Jas. Kidzie, Andrew Chisholm, Jas. Ray, Thos. Liddle, Sam'l Davis, and A. Nichols, were early settlers. The first birth was that of Elisha H., son of Elisha B. Maynard, Aug. 26, 1793; the first marriage, that of Jas. Russell and Nancy Richie, in 1799; and the first death, that of Hezekiah David in 1798. ___Edwards taught the first school, in 1808; James Wetmore kept the first inn, at the "Hook;" Robert Hume the first store at Brushland; Stephen Palmer built the first mill, in 1796, for Gov. Lewis; and John Jerome the first factory, in 1808.
COLCHESTER* - was formed from Middletown, April 10, 1792. A part was annexed to Walton in 1799; Hancock was taken off in 1806, and a part of Walton was annexed in 1827. It occupies a central position upon the S.E. border of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, broken by the narrow valleys of the streams. The E. branch of the Delaware flows westward through the N. part of the town, dividing the highlands into two distinct parts. From the N. it receives West Trout, Downs, and Coles Brooks, and from the S. Clearwater and several smaller brooks. Beaver Kil flows through the S.W. corner, receiving Spring Brook as a tributary. The valleys of these streams are all narrow, and many hundred feet below the summits of the hills which rise on either side. The soil is a reddish clay, and is often very stony. A considerable share of the surface is still covered with forests. Lumbering is extensively pursued. Downsville, (p.v.,) on the Delaware, at the mouth of Downs Creek, contains 3 churches. Pop 206. Pepacton and Colchester are p. offices. The first settlement was begun in May, 1774.** The first religious services (Bap.) were conducted by Elder Haynes, and the first church (Bap.) was formed in 1803. There are now 2 churches in town; M.E. and Presb.
*Name applied by Joseph Gee, from Colchester, Conn.
**Timothy Russell, Thos. and John Gregory, (from Westchester co.,) Frederick Miller, (still living, 1859, aged 100 years,) Jas. and S. Shaver, Silas Bowker, Peter, Harry, and Nehemiah Avery, Jacob Bramhart, Daniel and Wm. Parish, and Wm. Rose, began settlement before the war, but were driven off by the Indians and tories. Before leaving they buried their iron implements, to preserve them. After the war several of the families returned, and were joined by Wm. Horton, Abraham Sprague, Thos. Calbreth, Nathan Elwood, Nathan Fuller, Joseph Gee, Caleb and Henry Sutton, Jas Miller, and Dennis Jared, and John Hilt. The first birth was that of Catharine, a daughter of Wm. Roe, Dec. 24, 1784; and the first death, that of Thomas Gregory. Adam J. Doll opened the first store, and built the first bridge across the river at the place now known as Brooks Bridge. Wm. Rose built a sawmill in 1790. On the farm of Wm. Early, near the mouth of Coles Brook, is the site of an Indian village, with many of the apple trees planted by the natives still standing.
DAVENPORT* - was formed from Kortright and Maryland, (Otsego co.,) March 31, 1817. It lies along the N. border of the co., E. of the center. Its surface is a broken upland, divided into two ridges by the valley of Charlotte River, which extends E. and W. through the center of the River. The soil is a chocolate colored clay loam mixed with slate. Fergusonville, (p.v.,) on Charlotte River, on the E. border of the town, contains an academy, a church, and several manufacturing establishments. Pop. 125. Davenport, (p.v.,) 3 mi. below, contains a population of 95. Davenport Center (p.v.) contains a cradle and rake factory and 5 sawmills. Pop. 125. West Davenport (p.v.) contains a woolen factory, 3 sawmills, and 90 inhabitants. The first settlers were Daniel Farnsworth and ____Pross, who located upon the present site of Davenport Center in 1786.** At that time an Indian trail, of sufficient width to admit the passage of wagons, extended along Charlotte River. Elder Mudge (M.E.) conducted the first religious services, and commenced regular preaching in 1813.
*Named from John Davenport, an early settler and first supervisor.
**Among the other first settlers were Humphrey Denio, Geo. Webster, Daniel Olmstead, ___ Van Valkenburgh, Harmon Moore, and Elisha Orr. Dr. Dan'l Fuller came in 1796, and was the first physician. The first marriages were those of Harmon Moore and Mary Orr, and Richard Moore and M. Banks in 1791, the two marriages taking place at the same time; the first birth was that of a child of Harmon Moore, who died in infancy; this was the first death. The first death of an adult was that of Mrs. Harmon Moore. In 1796, Wid. Hannah Dodge taught the first school; Dan'l Prentice built the first grist and saw mill, in 1792-93, and it is believed he kept the first inn. Ezra Denio kept the first store, in 1800.
DELHI - was formed from Middletown, Kortright, and Walton, March 23, 1798. A part of Bovina was taken off in 1820, and a part of Hamden in 1825. A part was annexed to Walton in 1812. It occupies a nearly central position in the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep valleys of the streams. The W. branch of the Delaware flows S.W. through the center of the town, receiving from the N.W. Platners, Peeks, Steels, and Elk Creeks, and from the S.E. Little Delaware River. The valleys are generally narrow and bordered by steep hills. The soil is a clay loam, and the surface is very stony in places. Delhi, (p.v.,) the county seat, is finely situated on the N. bank of the W. branch of the Delaware. It was incorp. March 16, 1821. Besides the co. buildings, it contains the Delhi Academy, 4 churches, a bank, 2 printing offices, a woolen factory, an iron foundry, a gristmill, and a sawmill. Pop. 919. the first settlement was commenced by Abel and John Kidder, in 1785. The first religious meetings were conducted by Elder Kidder Beck, in 1786.* the first church (Cong.) was formed in 1798.
*Among the first settlers were Judge Gideon Frisbee, Thos. Farrington, Bartholomew Yandes, Joseph Denio, Geo. Fisher, John, Francis, and Levi Baxter, ___ Preston, and Gideon Rathbone and his sons John, David, and Gideon, jr. The first birth was that of Huldah, daughter of Gideon Frisbee, June 14, 1787; The first marriage, that of Philip Frisbee and Jerusha Harmon, in 1791. Thos. Averill taught the first school. The first mills were built in 1788.
FRANKLIN* - was formed from Harpersfield, April 10, 1792. Walton was taken off in 1797, and a part was restored in 1801. A part of Meredith was taken off in 1800, Sidney in 1801, and a part of Otego, (Otsego co.) as "Huntsville," in 1822. It lies upon the N. border of the co., W. of the center. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by deep and narrow valleys. The principal streams are Ouleout Creek, flowing W. through the N. part of the town, and its two tributaries from the S., Croton Creek and Handsome Brook. The soil upon the hills is a shaly loam underlaid by hardpan, and in the valleys a gravelly loam and alluvium. Franklin, (p.v.,) on the Ouleout, in the N.W. part of the town, contains the Delaware Literary Institute, printing office, and 4 churches. Pop. 490. Croton (p.v.) is situated upon Croton Creek , near the line of Meredith. Pop. 200. North Franklin is a p.o. Sluman Wattles, afterward judge, was the first white settler who built his cabin in the valley of the Ouleout. He came in 1784, and was accompanied by his brothers John and Roger and his sisters Sarah and Caroline. The town was surveyed under Judge Wattles, who acquired one of the 4 shares.** The first church (Bap.) was formed at the house of Gad Merrick by Elder Hamilton, in 1798.
*The township of Franklin, embracing 30,000 acres, was patented Feb. 6, 1770, with the usual powers of a township, and a quitrent of two and sixpence for every 100 acres annually. The patentees were Thos. Wharton, Reese Meredith, and 28 others. It was named from Temple Franklin, a natural son of Dr. Benj. Franklin.
**Among the early settlers were Nathan Edgerton, Jas. Follett, Alex. Smith, Daniel and Chauncey, sons of Enos Parker, Gen. Aaron Chamberlain, Moses Clark, Asa Turner, Gad Merrick, Hugh Thompson, Eph'm McCall, Asa Case, Turner and Daniel Clarke, Sol. Green, John Dewey and sons, Maj. Joel Gillett, ___ Mix, ___ Sharp, and ___ Fitch. The first child born was Thos. Edgerton; the first marriage was that of Judah Bartlett and Caroline Wattles; and the first death, that of Mrs. Alexander Smith, in 1795. Sluman Bartlett taught the first school, and Asa Turner kept the first inn and store.
HAMDEN - was formed from Walton and Delhi as "Hampden," April 4, 1825. Its name was corrected. March 17, 1826. It is the central town of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, divided into two parts by the valley of the W. branch of the Delaware. The S. part is covered by lofty peaks and ridges scarcely susceptible of cultivation. Bagleys Brook, a tributary of the Delaware, and Clove Brook, in the S.E. part, are the other principal streams. The soil is generally a brownish clay loam underlaid by hardpan. Hamden, (p.v.,) upon the Delaware, near the center, contains mills, a woolen and satinet factory, and 2 churches. Pop. 191. Lansingville, 1 1/2 mi. above, on the S. side of the river, contains 2 churches and 116 inhabitants. North Hamden is a p.o. The first settlers were Daniel Harrower and Benajah McCall, who came in some time previous to 1795.* The census reports 4 churches in town.
*Among the first settlers were Joseph Fisk, Henry Van Waggoner, Jas. Mason, Reuben Ward, Henry Edwards, Henry and John Howard, Sam'l Robinson, Wm. Cornell, and John and Silas Grimes. Jas. Howard kept the first inn, in 1796, and Matthias Sweney built the first gristmill, in 1797. Gen. Elias Butler was the first merchant near the Walton line.
HANCOCK* - was formed from Colchester, March 28, 1806. It lies upon Delaware River, in the S.W. corner of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, ending in high and nearly precipitous bluffs upon the Delaware, and divided into two parts by the E. branch of the Delaware which flows W. through the N. part. Beaver Kil flows into the E. branch in the E. part of the town. Sands and Cadosia Creeks and Rieds and Baxters Brooks are tributaries of the E. branch of the Delaware, from the N.; and Big Trout, Basket Pond, Giers, Sand Pond, Lords, and Homer Pond Brooks, are tributaries of the Delaware. These streams all flow through narrow ravines bordered by steep, rocky hills nearly perpendicular. The valley at the junction of the two branches is 922 feet above tide, and at the mouth of Beaver Kil it is 1018 ft. above tide. The summits are 1000 to 1500 ft. above the valleys. A large portion of the surface is still covered with forests. The soil upon the uplands is a hard clayey loam, scarcely susceptible of cultivation. Lumber, leather, shingles, and staves are largely manufactured. Hancock, (p.v.,) at the junction of the two branches of the Delaware, is an important trading and R.R. station. Pop. 502. Stockport Station and Lordsville are R.R. stations and p. offices. East Branch, (p.v.,) at the mouth of Beaver Kil, contains 2 churches and 20 houses; and Harvard, (p.v.,) 3 mi. above E. Branch, 15 houses; Partridge Island, on the E. branch, at the mouth of Rieds Brook, and Cadosia Valley, (p.o.,) on Hawks Brook, 3 mi. above Hancock, are hamlets. Before the Revolution two families settled in town; but they soon after left and never returned. The first permanent settlement was made soon after the close of the war by families from Dutchess co.** In 1784, Canope, a friendly Indian, was treacherously killed in this town by Ben Haines. The first religious meetings (M.E.) were conducted by Rev. Titus Williams.
*Named in honor of John Hancock, President of Continental Congress.
**Among the first settlers were Dr. Elnathan Gregory and his son Samuel, John Barber, Daniel Bouker, Henry Ruff, Timothy Rine, Chris, Ruff, Dennis Hitt, ___ Gilbert, ___ Leonard, (from New England, who settled on Reeds Flat,) John Hitt, John and Richard Biddlecon, Ebr. Wheeler, Wm., Jos., John, and Sam'l Mallory, (near Partridge Island,) Josiah Parker, Geo. Hanks, and ___ Jones, (at Hancock Village.) The first birth was that of Elisha, son of Dan'l Bouker, May 11, 1792; the first marriage, that of Abm. Sprague and Polly Parish, in 1791; and the first death, that of Liut. Day. John Gregory taught the first school.
HARPERSFIELD* - was formed March 7, 1788. Franklin was taken off in 1792, Kortright in 1793, and a part of Stamford in 1834. It is the N.E. corner town of the co. Its surface is a rolling upland, constituting a portion of the high plateau region stretching westward from the Catskill Mts. The principal streams are head branches of the W. branch of the Delaware, in the S.; of Middle Brook, in the center; and of Charlotte River, in the N. The valleys are usually narrow, and bordered by gradually sloping hills arable to their summits. The soil is a shaly and slaty loam of good quality. The quality of the soil, and the great abundance of pure soft water which issues from the hillsides, render this co. one of the finest grazing regions in the State. Harpersfield, (p.v.,) near the E. line, contains 20 houses. North Harpersfield (p.o.) is a hamlet. Fergusonville (p.v.) lies on the line of Davenport, North Kortright (p.v.) on the line of Kortright, and Stamford (p.v.) on the line of Stamford. This town formed part of a large purchase made from the Indians by the Harpers in 1768. In 1771, Col John Harper and David Hendry surveyed this town, and a small settlement was made soon after. One of the first settlers was Samuel Claxton, a tory. Several murders were committed by tories and Indians during the war, and the settlement was abandoned. In 1784, Col John Capt. Wm., col. Alex., and Joseph Harper returned, and began the first permanent settlement.** Rev. John Lindsley conducted the first religious services, at an early period. There are now two churches in town, Bap. and Presb.
*Named in honor of Col. John Harper, a proprietor and pioneer settler. The family consisted of John and his wife Abigail and nine children, ___ Wm., James, Mary, John, Joseph, Alexander, Abigail, and two others. The brothers were ardent patriots of the Revolution and active defenders of liberty. Their names are intimately associated with our State history.
**Roswell Hotchkiss, and Levi and Jedediah Gaylord, settled with the Harpers near the center of the town. Josiah Seely, Matthew Lindsley, Sam'l and John Knapp, ___ 2 Hamiltons, ___ Washburn, Isaac Pierce, Stephen Judd, Sam'l, Eliab. and John Wilcox, Richard and John Bristol, Abijah Baird, Byron McIlvaine, David and John McCullough, Isaac Patchin, Wm. Lamb, Caleb Gibbs, and Wm. McFarland were among the early settlers. Rebecca Harper, born Jan. 8. 1783, was the first birth after the war. Rev. John Linsley is believed to have taught the first school. A gristmill, erected about 1775 by Col. Harper was burned by the enemy, and was rebuilt soon after the war.
KORTRIGHT* - was formed from Harpersfield, March 12, 1793. A part of Delhi was taken off in 1798, a part of Meredith in 1800, a part of Davenport in 1817, and a part of Stamford in 1834. It is an interior town, lying N.E. of the center of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by narrow valleys and ravines. The mean elevation of the town is 1700 ft. above tide, and the highest summits attain an elevation of 2400 ft. The streams are the W. branch of the Delaware, forming its S. boundary, and its tributaries, and several small tributaries of Charlotte River, draining the N. half of the town. The hills are steep, but are generally susceptible of cultivation. The soil is a dark, shaly loam, well adapted to pasturage. Bloomville (p.v.) is in the S.W. part of the town. Pop 184. Kortright Center (Kortright p.o.) contains a church and 25 houses. North Kortright (p.o.) and South Kortright (p.o.) are farming neighborhoods. Settlements commenced before the Revolution, but were broken up by the war.** The first permanent settlers after the war were from Conn., Dutchess co., N.Y. and Scotland.*** The first church (Presb.) was formed in 1789.: Rev. Wm. McAuley settled in town in Sept. 1794, and was installed pastor June 6, 1795. He filled that office until the time of his death, March 21, 1851, a period of 56 years.
*Named from Lawrence Kortright, the patentee.
**Among these early settlers were Alex. Mills, agent for the proprietor, Alex. Leal, Daniel McGilivrae, and Hugh Clark. The township was surveyed by Wm. Cockburn in 1770, and the first improvement began soon after.
***By an advertisement dated Jan. 1785, it appears that 30 families were then settled in town. The proprietor offered 150 farms, more or less improved, free of rent 5 years, and sixpence sterling per acre annually after forever. The first school was taught by Jared Blakeley, in 1795. Thos. McAuley, brother of the minister, and afterward Prof. in Union College, taught here in 1799. Judge Keeler was the next teacher. A Mr. Alexander built a mill before the war, and the irons concealed then have never been found. The first birth was that of Dan'l McGilivrae; the first marriage, that of Michael Sexsmith and Mary Ann Riggs; and the first death, that of a son of Issac Randell. By an act of April 5, 1810, fairs were established in the village of "Health," in this town, for the sale of livestock, agricultural produce, and domestic manufactures. It was to be supported by a tax of 1 per cent. on all sales.
MASONVILLE* - was formed from Sidney, April 4, 1811. Its surface is a hilly upland, divided into 2 ridges by the valley of Bennetts Creek, which extends E. and W. through the N. part of the town. These ridges are subdivided by numerous lateral ravines, through which flow small brooks. The highest summits are 600 to 1000 feet above the valleys and 1800 to 2000 feet above tide. The surface is stony, and the soil a shaly loam, difficult of cultivation except in the valleys. Masonville (p.v.) is situated on Bennetts Creek, in the W. part of the town. Pop 234. The first settlement was commenced in 1795, on "Cookburns Gore," upon the W. border of the town, by immigrants from Mass.** In 1797, the State Road from Cherry Valley to Jericho was opened through the town. The first religious services were conducted by Rev. Joel Chapin, in 1797. the first church (Bap.) was formed Dec. 7, 1811. There are 3 churches in town; Bap., Presb. and M.E.
*Named from the Rev. John M. Mason, of N.Y., principal owner of the Evans Patent in this town.
**Among the early settlers were Wm. and Aden Wait, Danl. Scranton, Enos Goodman, Justin Nash, Peres Moody and son Moses, Asa, Terry and Caleb Monson. The first birth was that of Sally, daughter of Daniel Wait, Aug. 10, 1797, and the first death was that of Wm. Wait, the same summer. Dr. Eli Emmons taught the first school; Simeon Wells kept the first inn; Fitch & Phelps the first store, in 1808; and Joseph Bicknell built the first saw and grist mill, in 1802.
MEREDITH* - was formed from Franklin and Kortright, March 14, 1800. It is an interior town, lying N.E. of the center of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, less broken than most of the towns in the co. The S. and E. parts of the town are occupied by the high ridges forming the watershed between Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers. The streams are small brooks and creeks. The soil is a reddish clay and shaly loam. Ouleout (p.v.) contains 25 houses. Meredith Square (Meredith p.o.) contains 2 churches and 20 houses. West Meredith (p.o.,) is a hamlet. These last two places are on the old Catskill Turnpike. Settlement was begun in 1787, by Joseph Bramhall, whose family were sole inhabitants till 1793.** Elder Nathan Stilson (Bap.) held the first meetings. He was not a regular preacher, but a zealous promoter of education and religion.
*Named from Sam'l. Meredith, of Philadelphia, who owned a part of Franklin Patent. Hon. Sam'l. A. Law came into this town in 1796, as agent and part owner of the Franklin Patent. Being a New England man he influenced a large immigration of New Englanders to this place, giving to it the peculiar characteristics of a Conneticut town.
**Among the early settlers who came in 1793 were Nathan Stilson, Caleb Strong, Nath'l Stewart, Oliver Dutton, Dan'l North, and Truman Stilson. Lucy Austin (taught the first school; Jos. Bramhall kept the first inn, and the first birth and death occurred in his family. Rufus Bunnell kept the first store, at the Square, in 1799; David Spoor built the first gristmill, in 1802. The first marriage of settlers was that of Elijah Georgia and Keziah Stewart, who eloped and were married in the fall of 1796.
MIDDLETOWN - was formed from Rochester and Woodstock, (Ulster co.,) March 3, 1789. Colchester was taken off in 1792, a part of Delhi in 1798, Andes in 1819, and a part of Bovina in 1820. It is the S.E. corner town of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, bisected by the deep, narrow valley of the E. branch of the Delaware. The principal streams are Delaware River, Platte Kil, Batavia Kil, Red Kil, Bush Kil, and Mill Creek. The valleys of these streams are bordered by steep, rocky hillsides often rising into mountains. The soil is a shaly and gravelly loam. Margaretville*, (p.v.,) on the N. bank of the Delaware, near the center of the town, contains 40 houses. Griffins Corners, (p.v.,) on the Bush Kil, in the S.E. part, contains 30 houses. Clovesville, (p.o.,) Solitude, and Arkville are hamlets on the Bush Kil, below Griffins Corners. **Dry Brook Settlement is a lumber station on the S. branch of the Bush Kil. Halcottsville, (p.o.,) on the Delaware, near the E. border of the town, is a hamlet of a dozen houses. Spruceville is a little settlement between Halcottsville and Margaretville. New Kingston*** (p.o.) is a hamlet upon the Platte Kil, in the N. part of the town. Clarks Factory (p.o.) is a little settlement on the Platte Kil, near its mouth. Lumberville (p.o.) is a lumber station at the mouth of Mill Creek, in the W. part of the town. A vague tradition exists of an early settlement of this town by French traders, but no positive proof. In 1762-63 a party from Hurley, Ulster co., commenced a settlement, which increased rapidly and in a few years spread over the Delaware bottom lands.*** The settlers were driven out in 1778,**** but returned soon after the war. The first church (Ref. Prot. D.) was formed in 1794. There are 3 churches in town; 2 M.E. and 1 Asso. Ref. Presb.
*The old Indian village of "Pa-ka-tagh-kan" was situated about 1 mi. E. of this village, at the mouth of the Bush Kil.
**Named from the Griffin family, early proprietors and residents.
***The first settlers were Harmanus and Peter Dumond, Johannes Van Waggoner, and ___ Hendricks, who located near the old Indian village. Among those who came soon after were families named Kittle, Yaple, Brugher, Slyter, Hinebaugh, Green, and Bieurch.
****Most of the settlers became tories, and in 1779 the Governor was empowered to cause the removal or destruction of grain in the back settlements of Ulster co., to prevent it from being serviceable to the enemy. Soon after the war, the settlers of "Pa-kataghkan" came before the legislature for redress; but no act was passed in their favor.-Legislative Papers, St. Lib.
ROXBURY* - was formed from Stamford, March 23, 1799. It occupies the extreme E. portion of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, forming a portion of the great plateau extending W. from the Catskill Mts. The declivitiers of the hills are steep and rocky and are mostly unfit for cultivation. The highest point on the N. and W. borders of the town are estimated to be 2800 feet above tide. The principal streams are the E. branch of the Delaware, flowing S.W. through the center of the town, Bear Kil in the E., Batavia Kil and Red Kil in the S., and numerous smaller creeks. The soil is a reddish clay loam. Roxbury (p.v.) lies on the Delaware, near the center of the town. Pop. 232. Moresville, (p.o.,) near the N.E. border, Strattons Fall, (p.o.,) in the S., Little Falls, upon the E. border, and Batavia Kil are hamlets. The first settlement was made by John More, a Scotchman, on the site of Moresville, in 1786.** The first religious meetings were conducted by Rev. H. Myres.
*Named from Roxbury, Conn., from which place many of the early settlers came.
**John More, Israel Inman, Abm. Gould, Geo. Squiers, Josiah Pachin, Nehemiah Hayes, David Squiers, (most of them from Fairfield, Conn.) settled along the valley near the present village of Roxbury, in 1789.-Gould's Hist. Del. Co., 197-98-99. The first child born was Charlotte, daughter of Nath'l Tiffany, in March, 1792; and the first male child born was John Gould, in Oct. of the same year. David Smith taught the first school, in the winter of 1794-95; Isaac Hardenburgh owned the first store, John More kept the first inn, and John Pierson built the first gristmill.
SIDNEY* - was formed from Franklin, April 7, 1801. Masonville was taken off in 1811. It lies upon Susquehanna River, in the N.W. corner of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, ending in high bluffs upon the valley of the river. The highest summits are 800 to 1200 ft. above the valley. Ouleout and Carrs Creeks flow W. through the town and empty into the Susquehanna. The valleys of these streams are deep and narrow, and are bordered by steep, rocky hills. The soil in the valleys is a fine fertile alluvium, and upon the hills a dark, shaly loam. Sidney, (p.v,) on the s. bank of the Susquehanna opposite Unadilla, contains 2 churches and 25 houses, Sidney Center, on Carrs Creek,** 1 church and 20 houses, and Sidney Plains,(p.v.,) upon the Susquehanna, in the N.W. corner of the town, 2 churches and about 20 houses. In May, 1772, Rev. Wm. Johnston, with an Indian guide, explored this region of country, and finally selected the present site of Sidney Plains as a place of settlement.*** Early in 1773 he moved in with his family, being the first settler in the Susquehanna Valley within the limits of the State. Several others soon followed. Just before the war, Gen. Herkimer held an interview with Brandt at this place, and the menacing attitude assumed by the Indians led Johnston and others who sympathized with the Continental cause to leave their new home for a less exposed situation. A few inhabitants remained during the war, and many returned immediately after its close.**** By an act of April 6, 1790, L800 was granted for the construction of a road from "Olehoudt" Creek to Catskill on the Hudson. The census reports 5 churches; 2 M.E., 2 Cong., and 1 Bap.
*Named from Sir Sidney Smith, the British Admiral. The name was first applied by John Mandeville, an English schoolmaster, then living on Sidney Plains.
**Named in memory of John Carr, a tory, who built a sawmill upon this stream at an early period.
***At this place was the site of an old Indian fort. Three acres of ground were enclosed by mounds of earth surrounded by a ditch. From early times the place has been called "The Fort Grounds."
****The first gristmill W. of Harpersfield was built, in 1778, by Abm. Fuller, on the Ouleout, near Wattles Ferry. An inn was opened at the ferry in 1785, by Nathaniel Wattles. The first raft was sent down to Harrisburgh in 1795, by Capt. David McMasters. In 1787 a great scarcity of provisions occasioned much distress in this valley, and the settlers were saved from starvation by a boat load of flour from Northumberland, Penn, got to them through the exertions of Gen. Daniel Bates.
STAMFORD* - was formed April 10, 1792. Roxbury was taken off in 1799, and a part of Bovina in 1820. A part was annexed from Harpersfield and Kortright, April 22, 1834. It lies N. of Roxbury, on the N.E. border of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland. Mt. Prospect, E. of Stamford Village, is estimated to be 1500 ft. highter than the valleys. From its summit Albany City is visible in a clear day. The streams are the W. branch of the Delaware, forming a portion of its N. boundary, and Town and Rose Brooks. The soil is principally a reddish clay and shaly loam. Stamford, (p.v.,) upon the Delaware, in the N.E. part of the town, on the line of Harpersfield, contains a seminary, 2 churches, and 2 woolen factories. Pop. 185. Hobart (p.v.) is situated on the Delaware, 4 mi. below Stamford. Pop 391. The first settlement was made in 1773, by Dr. Stewart and John and Alex. More, from Scotland.** The first church (St. Peters Prot. E.) was formed at Hobart, Dec. 8, 1799. Rev. Philander Chase, afterward Bishop of Ohio and Ill., the first pastor, was installed Aug. 1799.
*Originally names "New Stamford," from Stamford in Conn. It is situated on Great Lot No. 42 of Hardensburgs Patent.
**Jas. Stewart, Wm. Frazer and son Simon, from Scotland, came in 1775. During the war most of the settlers left, but returned in March, 1786. In 1789, a company consisting of 20 heads of families and 2 single men (principally from Fairfield co. Conn.) came into "Delaware co. to examine the country and select locations. Several of them located in this town, and others soon followed. Dea. John Grant taught the first school, in the winter of 1788-89. Lieut. Paine kept the first inn and store, and ___ Calden built the first mill, near Bloomville, before 1780. Andrew Beers, the almanac maker, resided in this town. The first marriage was that of Simon Frazier and Abiah Potter, Jan 1787. the first birth, that of Wm. Stewart, Sept. 1, 1776; and the first death, that of Margaret Frazier, in 1791.
TOMPKINS* - was formed from Walton, Feb. 28, 1806, as "Pinefield," and its name was changed March 11, 1808. It is the central town on the W. border of the co. Delaware River flows westward through near the center of the town to the W. border, where it turns S. and forms a portion of the W. boundary. The portion of the town S. of the river is composed of broken and rocky mountain masses too steep and rough for cultivation. The N. part is broken and hilly and but partially cultivated. The soil is a clay, slate, and gravelly loam. Deposit** (p.v.) is situated on Delaware River, at the mouth of Oquaga Creek, on the line of Sanford, Broom co. It was incor. April 5, 1811. It is the center of a large lumber business, and is an important trading station and wood depot upon the N.Y. & Erie R.R. It contains a seminary, printing office, sawmill, a large tannery, and 4 churches. Pop. 1249,-of which 593 are in Tompkins and 656 are in Sanford, Broome co.: the depot and R.R. buildings are in the latter town. Cannonsville, (p.v.) at the mouth of Trout Brook, on the Delaware, 7 mi. above Deposit, contains a sawmill, flouring mill, a large tannery, and 2 churches. Pop. 325. Hales Eddy, (p.o.,) on the Delaware, 5 mi. below Deposit, Barbourville, (p.o.,) on Cold Spring Brook, near the N. border, and Trout Creek, (p.o.,) in the N.E., are hamlets. Dickinsons Station is near the S. line. The first settler was Squire Whittaker, from Wyoming, Penn., who came in 1787; John Hulse, from Neversink, (Sullivan co.,) came in April, 1789, and Philip Pine and Conrad Edict in 1791.*** The first religious meetings were held at the house of John Hulse, by Rev. Hugh Compton, in 1794.
*Named from Daniel D. Tompkins, soon afterward Governor. **Named from having formerly been an important station, or place of "deposit," for lumber preparatory to rafting in "the spring freshets." It was called by the Indians "Cokeose," (Owls Nest,) a name corrupted by the English into "Cookhouse," by which it is still designated by the old inhabitants.
***Mr. Edict was a soldier of the Revolution. The first birth was that of Polly Hulse, in 1789 or '90; and the first death, that of Dorcas, wife of Oliver Hale, about 1790.
WALTON* - was formed from Franklin, March 17, 1797. a part of Delhi was taken off in 1798, Tompkins in 1806, a part of Hamden in 1825, and a part of Colchester April 14, 1827. A part of Colchester was set off Feb. 1, 1799, a part of Franklin March 13, 1801, and a part of Delhi was annexed June 17, 1812. It is an interior town, lying W. of the center of the co. The deep valley of the Delaware divides the town into two nearly equal parts. The S. half is a broad, rocky, mountainous region with abrupt declivities and a surface too rough for cultivation; the N. half is broken and hilly, but generally well adapted to pasturage. The principal streams are East, West, and Hydes Brooks. The soil is a shaly loam upon the hills and a fertile alluvium in the valley. Tanning and lumbering are extensively carried on. Walton, (p.v.,) upon the N. bank of the Delaware, near the center of the town, contains the Walton Academy and 3 churches. Pop. 430. New Road, a p.o. in the extreme N. part, has 1 church. West Brook is a p. office. Dr. Platt Townsend, of Dutchess co., purchased a tract of 1740 acres in this town in 1784. He surveyed it the same year, and in 1785 he located upon the present site of Walton Village. He was accompanied by 5 families, of 20 persons, mostly from Long Island. A large number of immigrants from New Canaan, Conn., came in within a few years.** The first church (Cong.) was formed in 1793.
*Named from Wm. Walton, a large land proprietor in this vicinity. Walton's Patent (20,000 acres) was granted in 1770.
**Among the early settlers were Gabriel and Robert North, Isaac and Wm., sons of Platt Townsend, Wm. Farnum, Joshua Pine and sons, Daniel and Joshua, Michael Goodrich, Eph. Beers, Jos. Cable, Thaddeus Hoyt, Chas. W. Stockton, Matthew Benedict, John Eells, Alan Mead, Lindal Fitch, Jas. Weed, Nathan Kellogg, Cephas Beech, Eph'm Waring, Sam'l Hanford, jr., Seth Berray, David and Sellilck St. John, and Seymour Fitch. The proprietor offered a lot of land to the first male child born in town who should be named Wm. Walton; and the prize was within reach of a son of Mrs. Robert North, the first woman who came into town, but she had set her heart upon the name of Samuel, and a lot of land could not induce her to change her mind. The first marriage was that of Seth Berray and Ann Goodrich. Lewis Seymour and Judd Raymond kept the first store, in 1791; M. Goodrich built the first saw and grist mill and Robt. North the first framed house.-Hist. of Walton in Nos. 6 to 22, Vol II of "The Walton Jour." Hon. Joel T. Headley, late Secretary of State, was a native of this town.
Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager
a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753
Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger