Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

These items come from my Mother-in-law, Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson, she and Walter Alverson, were both born in Beerston, and graduated from Walton High School. After they married they lived in Indiana, Michigan and Florida. She kept a subscription to the Walton Newspaper and cut out these clippings of her relatives and friends. I am sorry to say there are no dates on the clippings to tell when they were printed in the newspaper, but most of them have dates within the clippings. I hope you will enjoy these. I remain, an avid researcher, --Diana Alverson

Note: This is a work in progress. As Diana transcribes items from the scrapbooks of her Mother-in-law, Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson, I will continue to add them to this page. This is Section 3 of the Collection. Latest additions at top of page.

newspaper clipping - 1953
GRANSBURY - In Walton, April 1, HERBERT JOHN GRANSBURY of Walton, aged 67 years.
- - - - - -
OBITUARY - HERBERT JOHN GRANSBURY - HERBERT JOHN GRANSBURY, 67, died Wednesday at Delaware Valley hospital following a cerebral hemorrhage. He had been ill for two years. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 2 from Lyon Brothers' chapel, Walton, REV. HENRY G. LINCOLN officiating. Burial will be in Walton cemetery. A well known musician, violin player and square dance caller, MR. GRANSBURY was born May 2, 1885, the son of CHARLES and BERTHA CLARK GRANSBURY of Walton. On May 12, 1911, he was married to the former BERTHA J. HOUCK at North Harpersfield. They had lived in Walton for the past 42 years. MR. GRANSBURY was a farmer and a member of the Methodist church. He is survived by his wife of Walton; son PAUL, Walton; a brother, HARRY GRANSBURY, Deposit; two sisters: MRS. ELSIE RAMPE, Miami, Fla., and MRS. JESSIE NIGHTINGALE, Deposit, and four grandchildren, PAUL JR, GARY, LORAINE, and COL.......

newspaper clipping - 1953 OBITUARY NOTICE (small)
HOWLAND - At Rock Rift, Jan. 17, MRS. JENNIE C. HOWLAND of Rock Rift, aged 75 years.
- - - - - - - - - - -
MRS. JENNIE C. HOWLAND - Funeral services were held from Lyon Brothers' chapel Tuesday at 1 for MRS. JENNIE C. HOWLAND, 75, wife of HOMER R. HOWLAND of Rock Rift. DR. J. M. FINDLEY BROWN was the officiating clergyman. Burial was in Walton cemetery. MRS. HOWLAND died at her home on Wakeman Brook, Rock Rift, Saturday following an illness of 10 weeks. She was born at Franklin Depot, June 12, 1877, the daughter of CHESTER and CATHERINE (PALMATIER) CLEAVELAND. She was married to MR. HOWLAND at Northfield, July 14, 1901. She moved to Beerston from Fishs Eddy in 1919. After residing in Beerston for 12 years, the couple moved to Rock Rift where they resided for the past 19 years. MRS. HOWLAND was home loving, unselfish and always willing to help others. Surviving besides her husband are two daughters, MRS. DONALD ROTZLER, Delhi, and MRS. THEODORE McLEAN, Hamden; a son GERSHOM L. HOWLAND, Rock Rift; a sister, MRS. HARRY S. SMITH, Sidney; a brother, CHESTER CLEAVELAND, Afton, six grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Wedding Date: Jan 28, 1952
MISS ARLETTA JEANNE BEERS, daughter of MR. and MRS. RAYMOND BEERS of Walton, became the bride of JOHN DuMOND of Dunk Hill, Walton, Wednesday of last week at the Baptist church in Franklin. REV. WENDELL STANDFORD performed the single ring ceremony. The bride was attended by her sister, MISS BERNICE BEERS of Walton, and KENNETH McCALL, also of Walton, was best man. The bride wore a navy blue suit with hat, gloves, and shoes to match, and a corsage of red roses. Her bridesmaid selected a brown dress with hat, gloves, and shoes to match and a corsage of yellow roses. Following the ceremony a reception for the immediate members of both families and a few friends was held at the home of the bride's grandmother, MRS. MELVINA BEERS of Unadilla. The couple will make their home on St. John street, Walton. MR. DuMOND will continue to work for the Walton GLF.


newspaper clipping - May 1952
(From Beerston correspondent)
The home of MR. and MRS. FRANK BURDICK in Bloomville was the scene of a very pretty wedding Sunday, when their daughter ELSIE BELLE and LYLE RALPH WILSON, son of MR. and MRS. HOBART WILSON of Beerston plighted their troth before a bower of flowers consisting of chrysanthemums and pompons, and an archway of crepe paper with wedding bells. The color scheme of yellow, rust and green was carried throughout the decorating for wedding and reception. FORD BURDICK, young brother of the bride, acted as ring bearer, while REV. W. B. CHANDLER of Bloomville performed the double ring ceremony in the presence of the immediate families. Appropriate wedding music on records was played during the ceremony. DOUGLAS H. WILSON of Metuchen, NJ., acted as bested man for his brother. The male members of the party wore fashionable corduroy shirts in colors of green and gold. GIVEN BY FATHER The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore a street length dress of leaf green nylon net in embossed leaf design. She carried a white Bible with a nosegay of yellow pompons fastened to streamers of white ribbon. Her corsage was white roses. MRS. LOIS ALTA RAY, sister of the groom acted as matron of honor and wore a dress of yellow taffeta with corsage of carnations. The mother of the bride wore a corsage of pink carnations on her dress of aqua faille. MRS. WILSON, mother of the groom, wore rust pompons on her dress of dark green silk. After a bountiful turkey dinner served by MRS. BURDICK and friends of the bride, the couple left for a brief trip to Ithaca. The will reside in a two-room apartment in the home of MR. and MRS. BURDICK. MR. WILSON is a graduate of Walton High school, class of 1950, and is a supervisor for the D. H. L. A., serving the Bovina Center, Meridale and Andes association.

newspaper clipping - 1952
The following officers were elected at the business meeting held at the church Sunday: Trustee, RONALD BUDINE, to replace REUBEN JOHNSON; MRS. BERT GRABY, Granton, clerk of the church: MRS. JENNIE JACKSON, treasurer; ELLA McDOUGAL, assistant treasurer; ARDYS WHITAKER, superintendent of Sunday School; CHARLES TITTLE, assistant superintendent; MRS. GRAHAM JACKSON, secretary of Sunday school; ANNABELLE BARNHART, treasurer of Sunday school.

MR. and MRS. JOHN CALABRESE and children, who live near Andes, were Sunday guests of her father HERBERT JEFFERY, here.

HOMES CHANGE HANDS - MR. and MRS. OTTO FRANK have sold thier home here to MR. and MRS. HOWARD RICHARDSON of Walton. Possession was given last month. MR. and MRS. FRANK have moved to Rochelle Park, NJ., where he has employment. school; ANNABELLE BARNHART, treasurer of Sunday school.

MR. and MRS. REUBEN JOHNSON have sold their place to MR. and MRS. WALTER TAIT of Walton. Possession will be given in the sping when MR. and MRS. JOHNSON will move to the property they have purchased at Delancey. school; ANNABELLE BARNHART, treasurer of Sunday school.

MRS. WALTER ALVERSON of Detroit, Mich., writes this correspondent that her grandson, GLENN ALVERSON, JR. aged 15, and a student at Ferndale High school, has been chosen to represent his school and travel with 24 other boys representing other Detroit schools to New York city and sit in on the U. N. sessions for two days. The Rotary Clubs of Detroit assumed the expense of this trip and the boys were chosen for their grades in school, their interest in the subject and their character rating. Both MR. and MRS. WALTER ALVERSON were Beerston young people. He is the son of MR. and MRS. THOMAS ALVERSON who lived on the present REUBEN JOHNSON farm. MRS. ALVERSON was LENA BEERS, daughter of MR. and MRS. CLARK BEERS whose home was the present REX BEERS farm.

newspaper clipping - 1952
CHARLES RODE Believed Victim of Heart Attack.
(From Roscoe correspondent.)
CHARLES FRANK RODE, 47, who made his home on the Beaverkill road not far from the RUSSELL HODGE farm, was found dead on the road before seven o'clock Monday morning, Nov. 24. He had apparently intended to go away because he was carrying a suitcase. Two young people driving toward Roscoe saw the body lying by the side of the road. They hurried to the home of CHARLES STANTON and told him, and not having a phone, MR. STANTON went to the RUSSELL HODGE farm and notified the state police. Upon investigation, the troopers found that the man was dead and they called DR. ALFRED HESSE, who stated that he had been treating MR. RODE for a heart ailment, and gave a heart attack as the cause of death. The body was removed to the Twiss funeral home in Roscoe. Surviving besides the wife are two sons in Korea, Lieut. HOWARD RODE, 24, and Corporal KENNETH RODE, 20; a son, ROBERT, 25, Roscoe; a daughter, HILDA, 8, of Lock Sheldrake; one grandson; a brother, FRED, of Rockland; and two sisters ETHEL BEERS of Roxbury and CHARLOTTE of Binghamton. MR. RODE was the son of the late EDWARD and LILLIAN ECKERT RODE of Spring brook. He formerly resided on upper Park street, Walton.


newspaper clipping - 1952 (Photo)
POINTING THE WAY - Street Commissioner VICTOR B. GOODRICH, Sr. and RALPH GREGORY, one of his assistants, have completed the task of erecting a sign at the intersection of Franklin road and Townsend street. It points the way to the Walton business district. The sign replaces a big arrow and was placed at the intersection because several out of towners continued along Franklin road instead of turning southward onto Townsend.

newspaper clipping - 1952 (I think)
Last Friday at 7 in the evening at the Cannonsville Baptist church, which was decorated with white mums, MISS JULIA MARGARET GRABY became the bride of LEROY PRESTON CHAMBERLIN. The REV. FELIX MILAS performed the double-ring ceremony. The bride is the daughter of MRS. AUGUSTUS GRABY, Cannonsville. The Bridegroom is the son of MR. and MRS. GARROLD CHAMBERLIN, Deposit. Before the ceremony MISS MARY LOU EAGEN sang several selections accompanied by MRS. CHARLES WARD. Given in marriage by her brother, KENNETH GRABY, the bride was attired in a waltz-length gown of chantilly lace and tulle over satin with a jacket of lace. Her fingertip veil of illusion was attached to a headpiece of chantilly lace and satin. The bride carried a white Bible on which was a white orchid and a knitted lace handkerchief made by her great, great grand mother. MRS. PHYLLIS CHAMBERLIN, sister of the bridegroom, attended the bride as maid of honor. She wore a waltz-length gown of aqua lace and carried a cascade bouquet of deep pink carnations. PETER BARNOSKI, friend of the bridegroom, served as best man. BERT GRABY, brother of the bride and ALBERT LLOYD ushered. After a reception for 100 guests, MR. and MRS. CHAMBERLIN left for a short honeymoon. Upon returning, they will reside at 20 Center street, Deposit. The bride is a graduate of Deposit Central school and is now employed as stenographer for the Deposit Telephone company. The bridegroom is a graduate of Deposit Central school, a veteran of four years in the Air Force and is now employed by the Scintilla Magneto Division, Sidney.

newspaper clipping - Dec. 1952
OBITUARY - LAWRENCE ELLSWORTH HOUCK - Funeral services for LAWRENCE ELLSWORTH HOUCK, 53, of Walton were held Thursday afternoon at 2 from the United Presbyterian church of Walton, REV. J. M. FINDLEY BROWN officiating. Burial was made in Walton cemetery. MR. HOUCK died about 5 Monday morning, Dec. 15, at Smith hospital following an illness of three weeks during which he suffered from bronchial asthma. Deceased was a weaver in the Julius Kayser silk mill, Walton. A lifetime resident of Walton, he was born here March 17, 1899, the son of NEWTON E. HOUCK and MRS. ABBIE (STEWARD PRATT). He was married in Middletown, May 14, 1918, to FLORENCE BEERS of Middletown. He was a member of the United Presbyterian church of Walton, the American Legion and the Walton Veterans' club. His late residence was at 75 Bruce street where he resided for the past 17 years. Survivors include his mother, MRS. GEORGE PRATT, Elmira; two sons VIRGIL and ERIC, both of Walton; two daughters, MRS. MAYNARD BUTLER, Smithtown Branch, L. I., and MRS. MILTON WAYMAN, Otego, a sister, MRS. EDWARD FISH, Elmira and nine grandchildren.

His Mother was ABIGAIL ANN SEWARD (Spelling from the family records)

newspaper clipping - April 11, 1952 (Photo - not real good. Does not say what year the picture was taken.)
OLD-TIME SCHOOL - MRS. LAWRENCE HOUCK has furnished The Reporter this picture of the old Beerston schoolhouse. She remembers at one time there were 63 children at the school studying under a single teacher. Teachers in picture are MISS EVELYN GILBERT and MRS. FLORENCE OWENS. Fifteen of the children were named BEERS.

newspaper clipping - Mar. 27, 1953 (Date of death: 23 Mar 1953)
OBITUARY - JAMES E. TAGGART - Funeral services for JAMES E. TAGGART, 77, of Walton will be held this afternoon (Friday) at 1 from Lyon Brothers chapel, Walton, REV. HENRY G. LINCOLN officiating. Burial will be in Walton cemetery. MR. TAGGART, a life-time resident of Walton, died Monday. Deceased was born Mar. 20, 1876, in the town of Walton. He was married to the former Ethel Wilson. A laborer, he was a member of the Methodist church. Survivors include a son, JAMES WILSON, of Norwich, Conn., a brother, JOHN TAGGART, of Franklin and four grandchildren.


newspaper clipping - 1952
ANNIVERSARY - MR. and MRS. LEWIS MORE - (Photo - but very, bad quality)
WED 57 YEARS - MR. and MRS. LEWIS MORE of Walton celebrated their 57th wedding anniversary Sept. 18 at their home when about 30 friends dripped in on them. The MORES were married at Mt. Holley in 1895 and set up housekeeping on the ancestral home of MR. MORE at Beerston, where he farmed it. They later moved to Walton, purchasing the JOHN T. McDONALD farm, now the TIFFANY farm, three miles from the village. For 5 years, MR. MORE operated an estate in Dutchess County for the former secretary of the treasury, HENRY MORGENTHAU. They also lived in Deposit for 18 years before coming to Walton to construct the home in which they now live on Bruce street.


newspaper clipping - 1952

ALVERSON - At Delhi hospital, May 22, to MR. and MRS. GEORGE ALVERSON, a son.


newspaper clipping - June,1952
WILBUR - SHULTIS (From Roxbury Correspondent.) - The Margaretville Methodist church was the scene of a June wedding Saturday norning, June 28 at 1:30 when MISS CATHERINE ELIZABETH SHULTIS, daughter of MR. and MRS. FRANK SHULTIS of Denver, became the bride of JAMES HILTON WILBUR, son of HILTON WILBUR of Margaretville, and MRS. GLADYS WILBUR of Florida. The ceremony was performed by REV. MR. BUTTERER, Lutheran pastorn or St. Johnsville, an uncle of the groom, assisted by REV. EUGENE CRABB, Margaretville Methodist pastor. The double ring ceremony was used. The church was beautifully decorated with baskets of red and whte peoniues and whte candles. Prior to the ceremony, MRS. VIOLA PLACE of Margaretville played the traditional wedding marches and MRS. PETER TUBIOLO of Grand Gorge sang, 'Because' and 'I Love You Truly.' The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, wore a formal gown of white slipper satin, fashioned with a long train. Her full-length veil was caught to an orange blossom coronet. Her gown was fashioned with long pointed sleeves and a round beaded neckline. She carried an old-fashioned bouquet of white roses, snapdragons, carnations and bridal wreath.

newspaper clipping - Aug. 22, 1952 (Photo)

SEND OFF - DR. and MRS. FRANK LATHOM are shown at Beerston Presbyterian church as 100 well-wishers gave them a farewell send-off last Friday evening. The cake, a reproduction of the church, was the masterpiece of MRS. MAXWELL DUTCHER of Walton.

BUILT CHURCH INTO SELF-SUFFICIENCY - More than 100 person from Beerston vicinity gave DR. and MRS. FRANK LATHOM of Walton a farewell party at the church parlors Friday evening. DR. LATHOM, pastor of Walton Reformed Presbyterian church leaves Sept. 1 for new work in Beaver Falls, Pa., and at Geneva college. DR. LATHOM has been serving the Beerston church on alternate Sundays with the Rock Rift church. He has had the Beerston charge about 13 years and when he first took over there this church depended upon mission income for much of its support. Owing to his good work, it is now self-supporting, and attendance has been built up considerably until there are now about 50 members and several regular attendants besides. MRS. WILLIAM JACKSON of Beerston probably spoke for the entire congregation of the Beerston church when she said, "We certainly regret his going and don't know how we shall get along without him"

STRING ORCHESTRA PLAYS - Music at the farewell affair was by MRS. HARVEY ALEXANDER of Batavia at the piano, MISS LAURA MARVIN and ARTHUR JAMIESON, both of Walton, violinists. MR. JAMIESON also led community singing and MRS. ANTHONY CARUSO of Brooklyn sang. JOSEPH A. WEBER of Beerston showed color slides of his recent trip to Europe as part of the program. A sum of money was presented to DR. LATHOM and MRS. LATHOM received a pair of hand-worked pillow cases from MRS. HENRY McDOUGALL and MRS. JACKSON. MISS ELLEN LATHOM was given a gift from the Beerston Ladies' Aid. Another cake was made for the occasion by MRS. ROBERT GALLEY and refreshments were served at the close of the evening.

newspaper clipping - 1952
OBITUARY - MISS LOIS M. LOUDON - MISS LOIS M. LOUDON, 27, daughter of MR. and MRS. MERRITT C. LOUDON of Walton, died Sunday evening at Bassett hospital, Cooperstown, following an illness of three days. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 2 from the United Presbyterian church, Walton with DR. J. N. FINDLEY BROWN, pastor of the church, officiating. Burial was in Walton cemetery. MISS LOUDON was assistant librarian in Ogden Free library, Walton. She was a member of the United Presbyterian church. A graduate of Walton High school, class of 1942, she attended Oneonta State Teachers college for four years and was employed at Bassett hospital, Cooperstown after her college years were completed. She was born Aug, 29, 1924 in Walton and was a resident here most of her life. She is survived by her parents and two sisters, MISS DORIS LOUDON, who has been nursing in Johnson City, and MISS BARBARA LOUDON, Walton.

newspaper clipping - Aug 22, 1952
OBITUARY - MRS. DOROTHY IRENE GOODRICH - Funeral services for MRS. DOROTHY IRENE GOODRICH, 44 , were held at the First Baptist church, Walton, Wednesday at 2 with DR. FRANK H. LATHOM of Walton officiating. Burial was in Walton cemetery. Arrangements were by Lyon Brothers, funeral directors. MRS. GOODRICH, a former Waltonian and a school teacher, died suddenly Saturday in Albany following a coronary thrombosis. A native of Walton, she was born here Aug. 29, 1907, the daughter of CHARLES L. and RENA (HALL) BEARDSLEE. She resided in Walton for 25 years, graduating from Walton High school in 1926. She worked with the American Locomotive company of Schenectady as filing clerk after teaching school. For the past 12 years she has resided at Stop 21, Central avenue, Albany. She was a member of the First Baptist church of Walton. She was married to HAROLD GOODRICH, May 31, 1930, at Walton. MR. GOODRICH survives. Other survivors include her parents, MR. and MRS. CHARLES L. BEARDSLEE, Walton; three sisters, MRS. EDMUND S. CALHOUN of Delancey, MISS MARGARET BEARDSLEE, Walton, and MRS. EVERETT KILPATRICK, Walton, and three brothers, SAMUEL, ROBERT, and DONALD BEARDSLEE, all of Walton.

MRS. DOROTHY IRENE GOODRICH date of death was 16 Aug 1952

newspaper clipping - 1952 (Photo)
BIG BOY NOW - DR. HARRY J. WILBUR and MRS. JUNE VAN VALKENBURGH gaze fondly at RONALD LEE VAN VALKENBURG in the nursery at Smith Hospital prior to the boy's trip home. RONALD was born March 21 at the hospital and then tipped the scale at a micro-weight of 2 pounds 3 ounces. He wasn't given much of a chance to pull through. But now RONALD's a robust 5 pounds 6 ounces and has gone to his Beerston home.

newspaper clipping - May, 1952
MRS. ROBERT RAY, son, FREDERICK; MRS. LEON JESTER of Delhi visited MRS. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

RONALD LEE, infant son of MR. and MRS. JUNE VAN VALDENBURG, born Mar. 21, and who spent his entire life in an incubator, now weights 3 1/2 pounds. He was gaining too fast to make his own blod, so it was necessary to take him to Cooperstown for blook transfusion. He was there for one week and is back again now to Smith's hospital in Walton, were he is a favorite patient of the nurses. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MRS. JOSEPH BONACKER of Albany visited her sister, MRS. E. C. PARSONS, over the week end. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

In her quest for data of the early history of Beerston church, MRS. WILSON has been loaned a picutre of a class of small children with MRS. NORMAN WALL as teacher, also a class of young people showing SMITH GOODRICH'S sons in their late teens. The BARLOW boys are present in the picture with MRS. WALL. Does anyone else have similar pictures taken about 1895 or 1910? Your pictures may show other sersons, be as interesting to reproduce, and incorporate in the history. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

Sunday guests of MR. and MRS. GRAHAM JACKSON were MR. CHARLES BENDLE, SR., MR. and MRS. CHARLES BENDLE, JR., and family of Jeffersonville; MR. and MRS. HOMER SALISBURY, MRS. WILLIAM McUMBER and children, MRS. CAROLINE LAKE, all of Roscoe. MRS. LAKE is spending a few days with her daughter before returning home. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MR. and MRS. DONALD BUDINE visited his brother, RONALD, at Camp Kilmer Sunday. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MR. and MRS. ORVILLE WHITTAKER spent the week end in Syracuse, guests of MR. and MRS. WARD HOLLEY and MR. AND MRS. LYNN HOLLEY. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MR. and MRS. HOBART WILSON and son, NILES, are visiting MR. WILSON's brothers and sisters in the western part of the state this week end. This is a trip in celebration of their 25th wedding anniversary. There were the first couple to be married in Beerston church, and the church will again resound to the wedding march this week when MISS JEANNETTE DUTCHER will become the bride of GENE WILSON of Williamsport, PA., on May 31 at 3 p.m. This will make the 5th wedding in Beerston's church. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MR. and MRS. ARNOLD BARNHART and family of Woodford, MRS. MARTHA MOSHER and daughter, ANNABELLE, of this place, visited the graves of relatives buried at Cooks Falls, Sunday. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MRS. ERNEST GOODRICH and son, CHARLES, of Walton, and MRS. STURGIS GOODRICH of this place motored to Goshen Saturday. MRS. NELLIE R. GOODRICH, who has been visiting in New Jersey for the past two weeks, returned home with them. MRS. GOODRICH's last visit was with MR. and MRS. JACK GIBBON of Goshen, where she was met by her daughter-in-law. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MR. and MRS. JESS WOOD of Oneonta called on her mother, MRS. ONA BOWKER, Sunday. FLOYD HALL Friday afternoon. They also called at the WILSON home.

MRS. LYNWOOD JACQUES, who underwent an operation for appendicitis recently, is spending a few days with her mother, MRS. VIVIAN DAVIS, in Sidney.

newspaper clipping - June, 1952
MR. and MRS. HOBART WILSON were pleasantly surprised on the evening of June 4, when about 20 Beerston neighbors drove in their yard bent on helping them celebrate their silver anniversary. Out of town guests were MR. and MRS. BERT GRABY, MRS. CRYSTAL GRABY and daughter, JULIA of Cannonsville. MR. and MRS. ROBERT RAY and son, FREDERICK, and LYLE WILSON, all of Delhi. were also home for the occasion. Relatives presented MR. and MRS. WILSON with a silver chest and service of silver for 14 persons. The seven sons of the couple gave cash to be used for a corner cupboard for the home. The gift from the community was a silver sugar and creamer on a silver tray. MRS. KENNETH GRABY and MRS. GRAHAM JACKSON baked a beautiful cake decorated with a 25th anniversary decoration. Five persons present were at the wedding ceremony in 1827.

ROBERT PARSONS of Mahwah, N.J. is working for his uncle, E. E. PARSONS, this summer.

JAMES BOWDER is helping STURGES GOODRICH with his farm work.

The barn on the ALFRED NEFF farm is being enlarged and a new milkhouse added.

JAMES BOWDER is helping STURGES GOODRICH with his farm work.

KAVEDA LEONARD and friend of Oneonta; MR. and MRS. VICTOR SEWARD, MR.and MRS. LAWRENCE HOUCK and son, ERIC, were Sunday callers at the EATON home on Beers brook.

MRS. ABBIE PRATT is also spending some time with her sister, MRS. MARY BROWN.

The Ladies' Aid will meet with BYRTLE BEERS on June 19.

The Men's Club met in the church basement last Thursday evening to build a coal bin, which will make the basement neater and easier to keep clean. JAMES BOWDER is helping STURGES GOODRICH with his farm work.

MRS. BLANCHE CONSTABLE is staying with her daughter, MRS. HAROLD MICHAEL, here, until her home on Third brook is ready for occupancy again, The farm home was damaged by fire recently. JAMES BOWDER is helping STURGES GOODRICH with his farm work.

MRS. MARTHA MOSHER and daughter, ANNABELLE, accompanied MR. and MRS. ARNOLD BANHART and family to Norwich Sunday, where they called on MRS. MOSHER's daughter, MR. and MRS. HERMAN SMITH and family. JAMES BOWDER is helping STURGES GOODRICH with his farm work.

MRS. H. B. MacDOUGALL and LILLIAN WILSON visited MRS. THEODORE McLEAN at Hamden last Tuesday afternoon. JAMES BOWDER is helping STURGES GOODRICH with his farm work.

newspaper clipping - Mar, 1952
GIVES A GALLON - The Syracuse regional blood bank has made 10 visits to Walton. On eight of them, MRS. KENNETH GRABY of Beerston has been present. At her last visit, she gave her eighth pint of blood, making her a member of the select 'gallon circle.' For her blood donations she will get a special pin. Said MRS. GRABY, 'Six years ago, my husband lost his arm and was given three pins of blood, I think it's my duty to give.' Standing beside her are MISS JOAN McANDREW of the Syracuse regional blood bank and MRS. HERBERT BUERGER, nurses' aid, of Walton. One of the times she was unable to give, MRS. GRABY had been given a dose of penicillin and it was thought inadvisable for her to give.

(There is a picture, if you would like to have it please send me you snail mail address)

clipping - 1952
FOX ATTACKS GIRL AND ELDERLY MAN IN NOCTURNAL PROWL - Animal, Killed by U. S. Wood, Found Rabid; Coon Bites Kellogg A nocturnal visit by a rabid fox raised havoc in Walton village Saturday. Two persons were bitten by the animal and another man almost 'scared to death' by its presence. Victims of attacks were THOMAS HOWE and ELSIE HARRIS, 14 year-old daughter of MR. and MRS. MILLARD HARRIS. Both will have to undergo rabies treatment since the animal was discovered to be suffering from the disease. On Monday of last week, ALBERT F. KELLOGG of Fishs Brook, Walton, was attacked and bitten by a rabid raccoon on his farm. He, too, is taking shots as a preventive measure. Apparently the visit of the fox started in the region of Sheffield's pond at the end of Burton street. His emergence from his woodland home coincided with GEORGE STRAIT's emergence from his home, MRS. LILY TIETGEN's house.SEES SOMETHING MOVING Seeing something moving at the end of the concrete walk, MR. STRAIT, thinking it was one of the TIETGEN's pet felines said, 'Scat.' The animal kept coming at him, and MR. STRAIT saw it wasn't a cat but a fox. MR. STRAIT was the one who did the skedalling. After reaching his household bastion and explaining what he'd seen to his wife and mother, MRS. TEITJEN, a call was placed to the police who came and scoured the neighborhood without results. Around 10 that same evening ELSIE HARRIS and her chum, BARBARA MAIN, both high school students, decided to take a stroll downtown for some ice cream. They perceived what they thought was a cat in front of Liguori's Grocery store. The animal pattered toward them, and they realized it was a fox. ELSIE was bitten in the right ankle before she could escape. She and BARBARA took off in one direction and the fox wandered off in another. She was taken to a village doctor for treatment. A few minutes later MR. and MRS. ULYSSES WOOD, whose home lies back of the old Meadowbrook creamery in the triangle between Mead and Howell streets, bid adieu to some guests who had spent the evening with them. They thought that MR. HOWE, MR. WOOD's uncle, had retired when he was not to be found downstairs. The elderly man had gone out to get a breath of air. He heard a whimpering noise that sounded like one of the neighborhood dogs with which he'd played. Something gamboled toward him, but because of the darkness, he could not tell what is was but assumed it was a pup. Whatever it was, grabbed MR. HOWE's pant leg and tugged on it. MR. HOWE kicked off the animal and started to walk away, but was attacked again. Not thinking it playful he reached down to fend the animal off. For his effort the middle finger of his right hand was gashed. He also displayed tooth marks across the knuckles of the hand.LIGHT REVEALS 'THE THING' By this time, he'd gotten into the light and saw that it was a fox. He called for help and retreated to the porch. When the WOODS came to the rescue he had the animal by the throat on its back on the porch. MR. WOOD took over, and they thought they had strangled the fox. But it still breathed. As a finisher, MR. WOOD bashed it over the skull with a hammer. MR. and MRS. KELLOGG had seen the raccoon around their home Sunday evening. MRS. KELLOGG said, 'It was going towards the hen house. Next morning after MR. KELLOGG had poured his milk through the strainer he noticed the coon snooping around his milk cans. When he attempted to shoo off the animal, it turned on him and bit him in the calf of his right leg above the boot. MRS. KELLOGG was on hand and finished the creature off by hitting it over the head with a board.TESTS MADE ON ANIMALS Both animals were brought to DR. EDWARD J. J. BIGERT, Walton veterinarian, who sent the animals' heads to the diagnositic laboratories at the state School of Agriculture at Cornell university, Ithaca. Report on the raccoon which came back the middle of last week was positive as was the one on the fox which was received this Wednesday. DR. BIGERT said that there exists a possibility that the fox may have nipped some pets of villagers, and the owners should be wary of any strange actions by their pets. MRS. TIETJEN said that Wednesday morning two dogs had 'something else' cornered near the shore of Sheffield's pond.

Feb 8, 1952
(There is a picture, if you would like to have it please send me your snail mail address)
RISE AND SHINE - ARTHUR WILSON is shown here washing a milk can in the new milk house on the farm of his parents, MR. and MRS. HOBART WILSON. The milk house, self-made by the WILSON FAMILY, is an experiment in milk house building. Watching his brother apply the brush to the cans is NILES WILSON. MR. and MRS. WILSON were in New York city attending the graduation exercises of their son, DOUGLAS, from welding school.
WILSON MILK HOUSE IS EXPERIMENTAL - When MR. and MRS. HOBART WILSON of Beers Brook, Beerston, had to construct a new milk house on their farm last summer, they decided they wanted something a bit different from the ordinary milk house. Aided by MR. WILSON's uncle, IRVING CARPENTER of Buffalo, they built what they consider an ideal structure. MR. CARPENTER brought with him a set of factory plans which were hardly more than in the experimental stage. Together will the WILSON FAMILY, he set to work on construction. Using 2x2 studs from framework, they pounded spikes into it. They set them on the form, and then poured the concrete, the spikes setting into the mortar. The outer walls consist of one inch of sand and concrete; a three inch fill of gravel and sand composed the second layer. Aluminum foil was used as insulation material. Perhaps most revolutionary about the milk house is the inside walls. Aluminum sheeting has been used. 'This eliminates any need of painting.' remarked MR. WILSON. The walls are easy to keep spic an span. Apparently it suffices as far as cleanliness tests are concerned because it has passed one of them. The cooling vat is sping fed and works on a gravity system. DOUGLAS WILSON constructed a rack of water pipes which were welded together for milk cans and other equipment.

clipping - 1951
IN MEMORIAM In loving memory of husband and father, GEORGE MORRIS, who passed away one year ago, Sept. 14, 1950.
We do not need a special day,
To bring you to our minds.
The days we do not think of you
Are very hard to find.


May 21, 1952
OBITUARY - LAWRENCE L. BUDINE LAWRENCE L. (BUTCH) BUDINE, 51, Scintilla employee and Walton taxi driver, died at Sidney hospital on Wednesday after an illness of four weeks. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 2 at the Walton Methodist church with REV. HANRY G. LINCOLN officiating. Friends may call at Lyon Brothers' chapel until noon Saturday. MR. BUDINE was born at Dryden, December 9, 1900, the son of LESLIE and VIOLA BUDINE. He was married to HAZEL LAKIN in Walton, Feb. 2, 1921. MRS. BUDINE survives. They had three sons, Private First Class LAWRENCE BUDINE, JR., who was called home from Korea recently; JAMES BUDINE and PAUL LAKIN, both of Walton. Also surviving is his mother, MRS. VIOLA GILBERT BUDINE, of Walton; five sisters, MRS. DAISY SCRIBER, South Edmeston; MRS. TRACY BRUNDAGE and EUNICE BUDINE, Schenectady; MRS. ELMER McADAMS and MRS. FRANK BARTOW, both of Walton; and a brother, GERDON BUDINE of Walton. MR. and MRS. BUDINE have owned and operated Budines' Taxi in Walton since 1947. For several years, he was a member of the Walton police force. The have lived at 17 Howell street, Walton for the past eight years.

May 30, 1952
(There is a picture if anyone would like a copy send me your snail mail address.)
MR. and MRS. MORRIS H. TRIPP, Walton, announce the engagement of their daughter, MAUREEN HELEN, to MILLARD E. GAGE, son of MR. and MRS. CLIFFORD H. GAGE, Delanson. MISS TRIPP is a graduate of Walton Central High school, class of 1950, and Mildred Elley Secretarial school. She is now employed by the Internal Revenue in Albany. MR. GAGE is a graduate of Delanson High school, class of 1948, and is a junior in the mechanical engineering department at Rensselaer Polytechnic institute at Troy. The wedding will take place June 29 in the First Baptist church of Walton.

clipping - 1952
OBITUARY - GEORGE J. DUTCHER - GEORGE J. DUTCHER, 69, died at Delaware Valley hospital Tuesday, following a three months' ilness resulting from cerebral thrombosis. MR.DUTCHER was a weaver in the JULIUS KAYSER silk mill in Walton and had lived at 25 William Street, Walton, for the past 30 years. Funeral services were held Thursday at 1 from Lyon Brosthers' chapen with DR. FRANK H. LATHOM officiating. Interment will be in Walton Cemetery. He was born May 19, 1882, at Allaben, the son of MR. and MRS. GEORGE DUTCHER. He was first married to Amy Baxter who passed away. The last of his three marriages was to MURIEL MOSHER of Walton. Survivors include his wife; four sons, GRAYDON, MAX and LAWRENCE, all of Walton and CLIFFORD of Fort Plain; a daughter, MRS. SHIRLEY HUYEK of Walton; two stepsons, FRANK MOSHER and LAWRENCE MOSHER; three stepdaughters, MRS. KENNETH PECK, MRS. ZIGMUNT NAGEL, and MRS. JAMES OLMSTEAD; a brother, CHESTER, Allaben, and a sister, MRS. NEVA PAPPAS of New York city.

clipping - Mar. 9, 1952
(From Franklin Correspondent.)
MISS HARRIET ELIZABETH HOUCK, daughter of MR. and MRS. WILLMOTT HOUCK, Franklin, became the bride of ROBERT JAMES WISSE, son of MR. and MRS. MARINUS WISSE, Franklin, at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Methodist church with REV. CHARLES DIVINE officiating in the double ring ceremony. The alter was decorated with bouquets of white and yellow snapdragons and with lighted candelabra. MRS. RICHARD POST played the traditional wedding music and accompanied the soloist, MRS. CHARLES DIVIDE. Given in marriage by her father, the bride was lovely in a gown of white lace over satin. The fitted waist was gathered to a sheer net yoke and the full skirt was floor length. Her shoulder length net veil was caught to a coronet of seeded pearls and she wore long whte lace mitts. The bride carried a white Bible with white roses on it. MISS THELMA HOUCK, sister of the bride, was the maid of honor and was dressed in a pink satin gown trimmed with matching lace. The style was patterned after that of the bride's gown, with fitted waist, full gathered skirt, floor length. She wore a shoulder length net veil caught to a coronet of pink flowers, and carried an old fashioned nose gays of different colored carnations. MRS. ALBERT BAILEY, sister of the bride, Walton, was her bridesmaid. Her dress, similar in style to the maide of honor, was blue satin. She carried an old fashioned nosegay of carnations. The mother of the bride chose a gray crepe dress with navy blue accessories and the mother of the groom wore a sine dress with black accessories. Both wore corsages of white roses. BERT WISSE of Franklin was his brother's best man. CHARLES HOUCK, Walton; WILLIAM HOUCK, Chittenango and WILLMOTT HOUCK, Franklin, brothers of the bride, were the ushers. Following the ceremony a reception for about 70 was held in the church parlors. The bride's table all in white, was centered with a tiered wedding cake topped with a miniature bride and groom. Bouquets of flowers were decorations. Refreshments were served to the guests buffet style. The couple left for a trip to NEW York city after the reception. The bride is a graduate of Franklin Central school, 1951, and is employed with J. J. Newberry company, Oneonta. The groom graduated from Franklin Central school in 1949 and is associated with his father on a farm above the village. The young couple will live in an apartment in the home of the late W. C. ALEXANDER, near the WISSE farm.

clipping - 1952
IN NORTHERN JAPAN - PFC LAWRENCE L. BUDINE, son of MR. and MRS. LAWRENCE L. BUDINE, 17 Howell street, Walton, is serving with the combat-tested First Cavalry division on Hokkaido, nothern most island of Japan. The division units, of which fought Indians from horseback a century ago, now is taking to skis and snowshoes for training in Arctic warfare after 17 months frountline duty in Korea. BUDINE, a mortar gunner in Company D of the 8th Cavalry regiment, arrived in Korea in June, 1951, and has won the combat infantryman badge and the Korean Service ribbon with one campaign star.

clipping - 1952
Private First Class, DAVID SMITH of Company H, 101st Armored cavalry here, is deep in a course in armored radio maintenance at the armored school at Fort Knox, Ky. PFC SMITH is studying such strange sounding courses as electromagnetism, inductance and capacitance. He writes as follows to Captain ROBERT C. McCOY, commanding officer of Company H; 'I hope I'm not considered AWOL because I haven't written sooner. I arrived at school about 11:30 p.m., Sunday, March 2. We have been kept busy ever since we got here. The uniform regulations are awfully strict as we have to attend classes in Class B uniform and must be in Class A. after 6 p.m. The cleaning bill on the OD's really adds up, but several fellows have electric irons so that helps out a great deal. We have to study in the evening quite a bit as they really throw it at us in class. There are two special evening classes each week so I'm able to keep up so far.' 40 Textbooks to Peruse. 'There are 40 some manuals and textbooks so far and more to come. The only thing is that some of the ones I's like most to keep must be turned in. I intend to buy the most important ones unless the company can acquire them.Everyone seems in a hurry here as they really are pushing the courses along.The company commander said the radio course was the longest in the armored school. The weather here is rainy and damp with a few nice days. It's 11 p.m., and we get up at 5:30 so I'll close now. Respectfully, PFC DAVID SMITH


Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Aug. 30, 1952
MRS. NORMAN WALL, a member of the Walton Methodist church for over 50 years, died at Smith hospital Wednesday evening. Funeral services for the 91 year-old Walton resident will be held at Lyon Brothers' chapel Saturday at 1:30 with REV. HENRY G. LINCOLN, officiating. Burial will be in Walton cemetery. Friends may call at the chapel until service time. ALTA L. PENN was born Nov. 19, 1860, the daughter of HUMPHREY and ELIZABETH (BASBY) PENN, at Mt. Upton. She was married to NORMAN WALL, Nov. 19, 1879. She had lived at her late residence at 161 Stockton avenue for over 40 years. Known to most of her friends as 'AUNTY WALL,' she did some of the housework in her home despite a broken hip which she suffered in 1948. Surviving is a brother, HUMPHREY PENN, of Starrucca, Pa.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Feb., 1952
Don't forget the community supper Friday night, to be held in honor of those attending Sunday school the most faithfully in the past year.

In tracing back the history of the church we find that JOSEPH GOODRICH has not missed a baptismal or communion service in the 28 years since he has been ordained as an elder of the church.

MR. and MRS. JOSEPH AUGUSTINE, MRS. KENNETH GRABY and MRS. JOSEPH GOODRICH were business callers in Binghamton Saturday.

DONALD BOWKER and ROBERT PARSONS of Delhi Agricultural school spent the week end at the homes of MRS. ONA BOWKER and E. C. PARSONS.

Ladies' Aid meets with FLORENCE LEWIS on Feb. 22.

KENNETH GRABY is slowly regaining the use of his right hand. The middle finger has been stiffened in a cramped position due to an infection several weeks ago.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Nov., 1951
CARD OF THANKS - We wish to thank our friends and neighbors who remembered us on our 57th anniversary. MR. and MRS. HARRY VanAKIN.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - March 14, 1952
(There is a picture of the valley and the W. S. BRANT CHEMICAL COMPANY and below it, it says)
GONE - As the snows of the big blizzard of 1888 melted, the W. S. BRANT CHEMICAL COMPANY bought a three-cornered tract of land between the base of the mountain and the railroad tracts in Beerston. Here they built this acid factory. Nothing remains today to tell the story of this plant.
(Then the title of the article)
Beerston in 1888 was a quiet little hamlet given to the serene occupation of farming. But following the melted snows of the Big Blizzard, the W. S. BRANT CHEMICAL COMPANY bought a three-cornered tract of land between the base of the mountain and the railroad tracts bordered by the east by Beers Brook road. They build a retort style of acid factory and the place was soon a'bustle with activity. They later sold to the BEERSTON ACETATE COMPANY which had a head office in Olean. In 1910, the factory was converted to the oven style. There were 11 houses situated along the Beers Brook road and the families living there seemed to form a community of themselves sharing the good and ill fortunes with one another.
Of this period A. W. HAMILTON of Binghamton says, "My parents moved to Beerston in the fall of 1887 and I started school there in 1898 and on visiting the ruins of those days can hardly grasp the changes in 'spots' and faces since the time of PHILO THAIR, SHERM BEERS, JOHN Q. BARLOW and CLINT OSTROM, the general store man." The village at one time had three stores, a blacksmith shop and STEVEN MOREHOUSE conducted a shoe repair shop. My parents referred many times to the Beerston graveyard which was located across the road from the factory on property of JOHN NORTHCOTT (MRS. HARRY BENEDICT's parents).The graves were removed about that time and the bodies taken to Walton cemetery." "CARL BEARDSLEE's father was justice of the peace and 'marriage squire' many years at the 'Den.' His son, BERTON, died in the Phillippines in the war of '98. He was the only man from Co. F not to return"
In 1925, the acid factory, seeming to realize it had never been welcome, quietly folded up and moved away. Each house was given a number to identify it, then dismantled, loaded on railroad cars and taken to Glen Falls where the home company had a different woods operation. FRED L. MOSHER might be termed the last superintendent of the acid factory as he was left in charge of the details of this moving operation. Other bosses of the Beerston operation included the late NORMAN WALL of Walton and L. C. THOMPSON of New York city. FRANK IVES of Walton says that he was in charge of the plant for 13 years and eight months starting in 1909 and that MR. WALL operated it while it was a retort type of process. TOP SALARY $1.08 A DAY
MR. IVES recalls that he started work at the Spring Brook plant at the age of 14 for $1.08 a day, top pay for an acid factory laboring man. Twelve cords of wood a day were used at the Beerston plant for the first 21 years and from 1910 on 40 cords of wood were consumed. Sixteen teams of heavy draft horses weighing 3,000 pounds and up, per team were used to get the wood out of the forests and up to the plant.
Nothing remains of the chemical plant now except the few bricks from theboiler foundation. They came to light recently when STURGIS GOODRICH, who now owns that tract of land, had a bulldozer level off the hummocks and fill in the cellar holes. Who can recall the schoolhouse as it was before the addition of 'MORE's WART'? The present schoolhouse has had two rooms added since it was built in 1893.
(See next posting for an answer to this question, entitled 'Beerston School Lore')

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - March 17, 1952
Box 98
Cannonsville, N. Y.
March 17, 1952

Editors, Walton Reporter:
In your article on the Beerston Chemical company, you wanted to know if any one could remember the school house when it was one room. I started to school in that room and I remembered sitting in the 'MORE' room as you called it. (I think the first teacher was GEORGE BEERS), also I sat in the front room after that was added, then went back to finish eighth grade from the big room as we called it and my eighth grade teacher was MRS. HARRY FRANCE. There are several around Walton who should well remember the old school. MRS. EVERETT DOIG taught there as well as attended school there. MRS. WILLIAM SULGER, VICTOR GOODRICH, BRUCE GOODRICH, CLARENCE WOOD and MRS. LAWRENCE BUDINE should well remember the school as all lived in one of the old factory houses, also after she married to PAUL LAKIN she lived in one of the newer houses called the boarding house. At one time there was another row of houses over to the right of the picture toward the MacLEAN property at the foot of the hill, where several more families lived. I can't just remember at the highest attendance how many children were registered but it must have been about a hundred. There should be old records to show them. I think somewhere I have pictures which show all three teachers and the pupils. We used to at that time, have to carry water from a well by the house where AUNTIE WALL lived. That's the name she was called then, MRS. NORMAN WALL, who just passed away a few weeks ago. When I moved to Cannonsville eight years ago I was the oldest person living in Beerston to have been born there. Now I think, MRS. ALFRED NEFF, my cousin, and my brother, STURGIS GOODRICH, or REX BEERS may be the oldest now. Beerston holds a lot of history for me. I can remember the sign on the depot when it was the 'Den.' The old creamery, my grandfather, SMITH GOODRICH, at one time was the operator of it and I drew many cans of milk to it with a horse and wagon when HENRY MacDOUGALL was manager. Back in my school days there was four families of GOODRICH's sending children to the school a total of 15 of us. I hope I have added a thing of interest to the account of Beerston. CRYSTAL M. GRABY

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Nov., 1951
LONG TIME TOGETHER - When Nov. 9 rolled around, MR. and MRS. GEORGE D. LAMBERT, SR., of Livingston Manor had been married 60 years. The couple was married at Forestburg in Sullivan County in 1891. Several members of the family attended the celebration held at the home of their son and daughter-in-law, MR. and MRS. OTTO LAMBERT, Saturday evening. The were recipients of a purse of $84.00 They spend many of their 60 years of marriage living in Walton, Beerston and Rock Rift vicinity. While living in Walton he operated a blacksmith shop. For the past 20 years, though, he and MRS. LAMBERT had resided in Livingston Manor after MR. LAMBERT took a job with the Balsom Lake club on the Beaverkill. MR. LAMBERT is 78 while his wife is 81. They were married at Forestburg in Sullivan county and have had nine children, two of whom have died. The others are OTTO LAMBERT and HALLOCK LAMBERT of Walton; GEORGE, JR., and MRS. ARLINE BUDINE, with whom they reside, and MRS. ALICE BUDINE, all of Livingston Manor, and MRS. MARY FINCH and MRS. IDA HAWVER, both of Franklin. Attending the gathering at the LAMBERT home Saturday were MR. and MRS. ROBERT CHRISTOFF, MR. and MRS. GEORGE LAMBERT and son, RICHARD, MR. and MRS. JOHN CHRISTOFF and children, GEORGIA and BILLY, MRS. VIRGINIA SIMMONS and daughter, JANET, and MRS. ALICE BUDINE, all of Livingston Manor; MRS. CLIFFORD FAULKNER and MRS. BRUCE CHAMBERLIN of Deposit; MR. and MRS. CYRUS BUDINE and family, MR. and MRS. HALLOCK LAMBERT, MRS. MINNIE MEAD, MR. and MRS. RALPH DUTCHER, MR. and MRS. MAXWELL DUTCHER, MR. and MRS. LeROY BEAGLE and MR. and MRS. OTTO LAMBERT, all of Walton.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping -Feb 4, 1952
Obituary - GEORGE DOOLITTLE LAMBERT - GEORGE DOOLITTLE LAMBERT, 80, father of OTTO LAMBERT and HALLOCK LAMBERT, both of Walton, died at Monticello hospital, Monticello, Monday. He had been a resident of Walton for 15 years, having also resided at Balsom Lake club, Livingston Manor. He was a blacksmith by trade. Born at Quarry Hill, Dec. 9, 1871, he was the son of WILLIAM and SARAH ELIZABETH LAMBERT. He was married to HENRIETTA GILSON at Forestburgh, Nov. 9, 1891. MRS. LAMBERT survives. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2 in Lyon Brothers' chapel with REV. HENRY G. LINCOLN, pastor of the Walton Methodist church, officiating. Burial was made in Walton Cemetery. In addition to his widow and the two sons mentioned above, a third son, GEORGE G. of Livingston Manor; four daughters, MRS. IDA J. HAWVER, Franklin; MRS. ALICE BUDINE and MRS. ARLINE BUDINE, both of Livingston Manor, and MRS. RALPH FINCH, also of Franklin, 18 grandchildren and 23 great grandchildren, survive.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Nov. 1951
WEDDING - CARPENTER / MORE - MISS HARRIETT F. MORE, daughter of MR. and MRS. MYRON H. MORE of Unadilla, formerly of Franklin, was united in marriage to CLAUDE L. CARPENTER, son of MR. and MRS. FRANK CARPENTER of Norwich. The wedding took place on Nov. 22 at 8 p.m. in the Main Street Baptist church, Oneonta. The bride was given in marriage by her father, was gowned in white satin. She wore a finger-tip veil of net and lace which was caught in a coronet of seed pearls. Her bouquet was of white roses. She was attended by her cousin, MISS BEVERLY DOIG of Walton, as maid of honor and her two sisters as bridesmaids. The maid of honor wore a pink satin gown with matching gauntlets and pink net headdress. She carried a nosegay of pink roses. BARBARA MORE of Johnson City and ANNA MORE of Walton, who were bridesmaids, were dressed in identical gowns of aqua satin with matching gauntlets and aqua net headdresses and each carried a nosegay of yellow roses. Preceding the double ring ceremony which was performed by REV. GEORGE THOMPSON, MISS MILDRED PATTON of Johnson City sang two solos, "Oh Promise Me" and "Because" Best man was LYNN SHERIDAN of Norwich. The ushers were ROBERT CONWAY and RICHARD LOWMAN. All are friends of the groom.The reception for 50 was held in the church parlors following the ceremony. MRS. CARPENTER is a graduate of Franklin Central school and Oneonta State Teachers college, class of 1950. MR. CARPENTER was graduated from Norwich High school and is a veteran of World War II. The couple will live in Norwich, where they are both employed by the Norwich Pharmacal company. Attending the wedding from Walton were MR. and MRS. LEWIS C. MORE, the bride's grandparents; ANNA MORE, MRS. ELMER COULTER, EVERETT DOIG and daughter, BEVERLY. Other quests included friends from North Harpersfield, Norwich, South New Berlin, Johnson City, Oneonta, Wellsbridge, Milford and Thompson, Pa.
NOTE: HARRIETT F. MORE, her middle name is FLORENCE; MR. MYRON MORE, his middle name is HEZEKIAH; MRS. MYRON MORE is the former ALICE AMANDA DAYTON

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Nov., 1951
Obituary HARRY ROLAND HOUCK - HARRY ROLAND HOUCK of Pierson, Fla., where he had lived for two years, passed away suddenly at 6 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 21, at Deland hospital in Deland, Fla. MR. HOUCK was born July 20, 1893 at Harvard. He was the only child of GRANT HOUCK and the late ABBIE VIOLA CABLE. He is survived by his father, GRANT HOUCK; two sons, R. MERLE HOUCK of Delhi and LLOYD H. HOUCK of East Branch; three daughters: MRS. ELMER HAMLER of Miami Beach, Fla., MRS. ELBERT H. KERN of Brooklyn and MRS. RICHARD D. CARPENTER of Binghamton; a grandson RICHARD D. HOUCK and five granddaughters: LINDA JO ANN HOUCK, BARBARA J. PALIVAS, SUE ANN and MARY LOU KERN and KATHLEEN L. HOUCK. Funeral services were held Sunday at 2 p.m. at Harvard Methodist church with REV. JOSEPH G. BAILEY officiating. Interment was in the family plot at Harvard. Arrangements were by Clark Funeral Home, Downsville.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - June, 1951
OBITUARY - MRS. JOSEPH GOODRICH - MRS. JOSEPH GOODRICH of Walton died at Smith hospital, Walton, last Friday June 1. Death was caused by a cerebral hemorrhage. MRS. GOODRICH was 71 years old. The daughter of WILLIAM and JANE ROBINSON EATON, she was born at Pines Brook Dec. 22, 1879. She married JOSEPH GOODRICH, Mar. 12, 1903. MRS. GOODRICH was a life-time resident of the town of Walton. Recently MR. and MRS. GOODRICH had resided on Mead street, Walton. She belonged to the Beerston Presbyterian church and was a member of the Beerston Ladies' Aid. Funeral services were held at the Baptist church, Walton, Tuesday June 5, at 2 in the afternoon. Burial was made in Walton cemetery. Officiating were DR. FRANK H. LATHOM and REV. RICHARD BENOIT, both of Walton. Surviving are her husband; three daughters, MRS. PAUL TYLER and MRS. ALBERT CONKLIN of Stamford, MRS. CLAIR SMITH of Walton; a sister, MRS. GEORGE DARLING of Middletown; two brothers ARTHUR EATON of Oneonta and JAMES EATON of Franklin; also five grandchildren.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1951
EX-BEERSTONIAN ENGAGED - MR. and MRS. CHARLES T. ALVERSON of Elmhurst, N.Y., formerly of Beerston, announce the engagement of their daughter, MISS CLARA MARIE ALVERSON, to ALFRED H. ZELTMAN, son of MR. and MRS. ERNEST W. ZELTMAN of Brooklyn. MISS ALVERSON is a graduate of Long Island university and is working for the University of California Scientific laboratory, Los Alamos, N. M.. MR. ZELTMAN, a graduate of Washington State college, also attended the University of New Mexico for graduate work and is a veteran of World War II. He is a staff member of the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory of the University of California. The wedding will occur in late November in the United Church of Los Alamos, N.M.. They will make their future home in that city.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date but on the page with 1950 - 1952 articles
OBITUARY - WILLIAM THOMAS JACKSON - WILLIAM THOMAS JACKSON, a resident of Beerston for the past thirty-three years, died at his home in Beerston, Tuesday, May 15. MR. JACKSON, 66 years old, had been in failing health for the past seven years. Death was caused by a cerebral hemorrhage. He was born on Campbell mountain, town of Colchester, Aug. 29, 1884. His parents were SIMON G. and MARY ELWOOD JACKSON. On Jan. 5, 1910, he married JENNIE M. JACOBSON. MR. JACKSON's early life was spent near Downsville and he later moved to Beerston, where he was engaged in farming. He was a member of the Beerston Presbyterian church. MR. JACKSON was very proud of his Scotch ancestry and was known as a devoted family man. Funeral services are being held at the Beerston church today, Friday, at 1 in the afternoon with burial in Paige cemetery, Downsville. REV. FRANK H. LATHOM is officiating clergyman. Survivors are his widow; a son, S. GRAHAM JACKSON of Beerston; two daughters, MRS. MAXWELL DUTCHER, Walton and MRS. BERT GRABY, Granton; three sisters, MRS. IRENE BOYES, Margaretville; MRS. JEANETTE TERRY, Honey Brook, PA.; also nine grandchildren.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Aug. 15, 1952
Remember the farewell party for LATHOMS this Friday night.
Our school house has been recently painted.
PAUL HAMILTON of Elizabeth, visited friends in town one day last week.
HARLEY WILSON made a business trip to Brattleboro, VT., Monday of this week.
MR. and MRS. MAURICE GOODRICH and family of Buffalo visited his mother, MRS. NELLIE GOODRICH the past week.
MR. and MRS. CHAUNCEY AUGUSTINE and family of Belleport, L.I., have been spending the past week with his brother, JOSEPH AUGUSTINE and family.
On Friday of last week the members of the Sunday school unable to attend the youth camp enjoyed an outing at Ross park in Binghamton. All members of the Sunday school have participated in some outing this summer.
MRS. CAROLINE LAKE and MRS. and MRS. HENRY PAPPAS and children of Roscoe were Sunday guests of MR. and MRS. GRAHAM JACKSON and family.
MR. and MRS. ORVILLE WHITAKER and MR. and MRS. RUBEN JOHNSON met this week to make final plans for the management of a food concession on the fair grounds. This venture will be undertaken by the Beerston Ladies Aid and Sunday school combined.
ARTHUR WILSON is spending this week at F. F. A. camp Oswegatchie in northern New York state.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - April, 1951
Obituary - MRS. ALEXANDER HAWKINS - MRS. LAURA JANE FRANCISCO HAWKINS, a former resident of Cooks Falls, died in Middletown, April 16. Immediate cause of death was a heart attack but MRS. HAWKINS had been in poor health for the past ten years. She was 62 years old. A native of Cooks Falls, she was born Apr. 5, 1889, the daughter of JAMES OWEN FRANCISCO and ORVILLA TERBUSH. Her marriage to ALEXANDER HAWKINS, who survives, took place at Downsville Sept. 16, 1908. For about forty years, MRS. HAWKINS had been a resident of Middletown. She belonged to the North Congregational church in Middletown, the Missionary society of the church, the Ladies Benevolent Union and Olympia Council Fourteen, Daughters of America. Shw was for many years engaged in practical nursing. Funeral services were held at the North Congregational church, Middletown, Thursday afternoon, Apr. 19, REV. HERMAN E. MORRIS officiating. Burial took place in Wallkill cemetery at Phillipsport. The Daughters of America held services at 7:30 Wednesday evening at the Cornelius Funeral home. Surviving are her husband; a daughter, MRS. ORVILLA WATKINS; a son, OWEN H. HAWKINS; a sister MRS. OTIS HOWARD of Cooks Falls; and three grandchildren.

newspaper clipping - Aug. 1952
MRS. CLYDE SMITH of Walton, has several lists of pupils of long ago at the Beerston School. Large families of the day and the heavy burden on teachers was reflected in the school catalogues. There were six students named BEERS, seven named HAWKINS which included ALEX, FLOYD, WILLIE, CLARK, ROBERT, ESTHER and HENRY. This was for the school year of 1896-97 and BERTHA M. CABLE was the teacher. A quarter century earlier in 1875-76, there were eight BEERS: WILLIE, WINNIE, NENAH, IDELLA, CHARLIE, CLARK, RHODA, and ROVILLA. WILLIAM L. HANFORD was the teacher of the 28 pupils and C. WAKEMAN was trustee.

newspaper clipping - May 30, 1952
( From Franklin Correspondent)

ENGAGEMENT - MISS THELMA ELEANOR HOUCK - MR. and MRS. WILMOTT HOUCK of Franklin announce the engagement of their daughter, MISS THELMA ELEANOR HOUCK, to JAMES PALMER, son of MR. and MRS. HERMOUND GILLESPIE, of Albany. MISS HOUCK is a graduate of Franklin Central school, class of 1948, and is now a senior at the Albany State Teachers college. She is a member of Gamma Kappa Phi sorority. MR. PALMER was graduated from Albany High school, attended Russel Sage college in Troy, and was graduated from Albany State college in 1951. He served two years in the navy. The wedding will take place this summer.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1950
Obituary - Robert E. Alverson - ROBERT E. ALVERSON of Birmingham, Ala., formerly of Beerston, died Sunday, Feb 26, after a short illness. He was 58 years old. MR. ALVERSON was president and founder of the Alverson Business college in Birmingham, Ala., one of the best known business schools in the south. He was born on Baxter Brook, Jan 7, 1892, the son of MR. and MRS. THOMAS A. ALVERSON. After graduating from Walton High school in 1911, he studied at Brown's Business college, Davenport, IA., and took several courses in the school of business administration at Harvard university. He was a veteran of World War I. In 1919 he moved to Birmingham. Before founding the Alverson college, he taught school for several years. Farming was a continuing interest of the former Delaware county man and he operated a farm near Birmingham as a hobby. He had long been identified with educational, religious and fraternal leadership in his area and was a member of the Baptist church and Sunday school, a Mason, a Woodman of the World, member of the Lions club and a life member of the National Association of Public Accountants. MR. ALVERSON married the former MISS LESLIE ETTA HINKLE of Birmingham, who survives. Also surviving are a daughter, MRS. ELIZABETH GWIN, a son THOMAS E. ALVERSON of Birmingham; four brothers, WALTER and HOWARD of Detroit, Mich.; JAMES, Albany; and CHARLES T. , Elmhurst; and a sister MRS. REID HOLMES, Schenectady. Funeral services were conducted in Birmingham. Burial was made in the Forest Hills cemetery there.


Obituary - EDWIN F. GOODRICH - EDWIN F. GOODRICH, retired farmer and Spanish War veteran, died at his home in Beerston, Sunday, April 9. Death followed an illness of two months. MR. GOODRICH was born in Shinhopple Feb 13, 1876, the son of SMITH and ELLA BUCKLEY GOODRICH. He married NELLIE R. GOODRICH at Walton June 13, 1900. For the past 50 years he had made his home in Beerston. He was a member of Walton Grange 1451 for 15 years and belonged to the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Funeral services were held Tuesday, April 11, at 1:30 in the afternoon at Lyon Brothers chapel, Walton. REV FRANK LATHOM officiated. Burial was made in Walton cemetery. Besides his wife, MR. GOODRICH is survived by a daughter, MRS. CRYSTAL GRABY, Cannonsville; four sons, BRUCE, ERNEST and STURGIS GOODRICH of Walton and MAURICE GOODRICH of North Tonawanda; four brothers, WILLIAM H. GOODRICH, JAMES A. GOODRICH, JOSEPH B. GOODRICH all of Walton, and ARTHUR C. GOODRICH of Johnstown; one sister, MRS. CASSIE BEERS of Walton; 18 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.


Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 30 June 1950
W. C. S. GRADUATES - Members of the 1950 graduating class of Walton Central School in photograph are,
front row, left to right,
second row
third row
fourth row
fifth row
sixth row

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Zoning Map - 14 Jan 1949, -- about the same time for the Watershed Map.

    Sept         1948
HARRY HALBREICH, Lic. Land Surveyor #21203


The map has street names, brooks, and the river,  no peoples names or business names 
except the Julius Kayser & Co.       

I also have an article called 'Tompkins Will Be Hard Hit If City Builds Reservoir' and with 
it is a Map showing the Catskill watershed and the three stages of development of the 
Delaware watershed for furnishing water to New York City.  It has these towns marked, 
Oneonta, Sidney, Cannonsville, Deposit, Downsville, Delhi, Gilboa, Walton, Hancock, 
Catskill, Hudson, Kingston, Poughkeepsie, Ellenville, Neversink, Liberty, Callicoon. 
It has these rivers, creeks, aqueducts and reservoirs marked.
Susquehanna R., Neversink River, Hudson River, East Branch, West Branch,  
Catskill Cr., Esopus Cr., Rondout Cr., Beaver, Kill, Cannonsville Reservoir,  
Pepacton Reservoir, Schoharie Reservoir, Ashokan Reservoir, Neversink 
Reservoir; Delaware Watershed, First stage; Delaware Watershed, Second stage;

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Oct 13, 1950

BETROTHED - MR. AND MRS. GEORGE DUTCHER of Walton announce the engagement of her daughter, MISS MURIEL MOSHER, to JAMES OLMSTEAD of Walton, son of MR. and MRS. HARRY OLMSTEAD.

NOTE: There is a picture of Muriel if anyone would like a copy. Send me your snail mail address as I can not scan pages.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Aug, 1950

Obituary - HARLAND B. HOLLEY - HARLAND B. HOLLEY of Walton died Wednesday, Aug. 30, at the home of FRED DuMOND, 41 East street, where he had been making his home. He was 61 years old. MR. HOLLEY was a native of Walton, where he was born Aug. 31, 1888. His parents were JOHN and EMMA HOLLEY. He was married to DENA GARRISON, deceased. At the time of his death MR. HOLLEY was employed by S. J. BAILEY AND SONS as a night watchman. He was a member of the Congregational church. Surviving are two sons, WARD and LYNN HOLLEY, Syracuse; two brothers, DR. ERVING HOLLEY, Brattleboro, Vt., and ARTHUR HOLLEY, Walton; and two sisters, MRS. C. L. PROSKINE, South Kortright, and MRS. HOWARD SALTON, Walton, also several grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon, Sept 2, at 2 in the afternoon at Lyon Brothers chapel, REV. HARRY H. BERGEN will officiate. Burial will be in Walton cemetery.

    His father's name was JOHN S. HOLLEY
    His mother was the former EMMA BENEDICT
    His wife was the former DENA IDELLA GARRISON
    His sons full name was WARD GARRISON HOLLEY
    His sons full name was LYNN HERSCHEL HOLLEY

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Oct. 27, 1950
HAMDEN PHYSICIAN - ROBERT N. WILBUR, M.D., started the practice of his profession in Hamden, Monday, Oct. 23. DR. WILBUR recently purchased the house known as the COLGAN property in Hamden and is using the large residence both for his office and living quarters. He is the second physician to live in this house as it was at one time occupied by the late DR. C. R. WOODS. DR. WILBUR is a native of Walton, the son of MR. and MRS. ROBERT L. WILBUR. He graduated from Walton High school in 1942, and after taking a pre-medical course at Union college from which he graduated in 1948. His schooling was interrupted by the ware and he spent nine months' duty in the navy at the Sampson Naval hospital. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Wilbur had a one-year rotating internship at St. Raphael's hospital in New Haven, Conn. Following that he spent a year as assistant resident in general surgery at St. Raphael's hospital. DR. WILBUR is married, his wife being the former MISS MABEL BRAINERD of Meriden, Conn.


Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Nov. 1950

Obituary - MRS. GEORGIANNA BEERS GARRISON - MRS. GEORGIANNA BEERS GARRISON of Beerston died at Smith Hospital, Walton, Sunday, Nov. 26, following an illness of several weeks. MRS. GARRISON was 80 years old. She was born at Beerston, Nov. 7, 1870, the daughter of EPHRIAM and HULDA GEE BEERS. On Apr. 17, 1888, she was married to HERSCHEL D. GARRISON. For forty years she lived in Walton, prior to that resided on the farm at Pines now owned by ANDREW SCOBIE. Since last August, MRS. GARRISON had made her home with her daughter, MRS. ORVILLE WHITAKER, in Beerston. She belonged to the Walton Methodist church. Funeral services were held at Lyon Brothers chapel, Walton, Wednesday, Nov. 29, and burial was made in Walton cemetery. REV. HENRY G. LINCOLN and REV. FRANK H. LATHOM conducted the services. Surviving are her daughter, MRS. WHITAKER; one brother, CHARLES BEERS of Johnson City; one sister, MRS. LEON JOHNSON of Walton; three grandchildren, MRS. ROBERT GALLEY of Walton, WARD HOLLEY and LYNN HOLLEY of Syracuse; also five great grandchildren.

    MRS. GEORGIANNA BEERS GARRISON, in my family records her first name is 
     spelled with only one 'n' - GEORGIANA.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1950
HARLEY WILSON accompanied MR. and MRS. ROBERT RAY of Delhi to Katonah, where they spent the week end and attended the RAY-McLAREN wedding on Saturday.
THEODORE ALVERSON of Albany and RICHARD ALVERSON of Detroit, Mich., were recent visitors of the WILSON BOYS at their home on Beers brook.
MR. and MRS. DONALD LINABERY and daughter of Binghamton spent a week end with her parents, MR. and MRS. REX BEERS, SR.
MR. and MRS. KENNETH GRABY and MRS. JOSEPH AUGUSTINE and family motored to Binghamton on Saturday.
NILES WILSON spent from Sunday until Thursday at Delhi with his sister.
MRS. FRED MOSHER visited her daughter, MRS. HERMAN SMITH, and family at Norwich recently.
The Beerston Ladies Aid will hold their monthly meeting at the church Friday evening, Sept 22. Please bring sandwiches and dish to pass. This will be a cleanup meeting.
JOSEPH O'BLINSKY is home on a 30-day leave of absence from the U. S. army and is visiting his sister and brother-in-law, MR. and MRS. EARL BARNES.
MRS. NELLIE R. GOODRICH left this week for a few weeks' visit with friends at Goshen.

Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1949
The Second Presbyterian church, Delhi, was scene of the wedding of LOIS ALTA WILSON, only daughter of MR. and MRS. HOBART WILSON of Beerston, and ROBERT WARREN RAY, son of MRS. and MRS. R. BENSON RAY of Katonah. The ceremony took place at noon Saturday, June 11. The church was decorated with seasonal flowers, featuring yellow roses. Flowers for both church and MRS. LEON JESTER'S home, where the groom has boarded for the past three years, and where the reception was held, were arranged under the supervision of MRS. GEORGE COCHRANE of Delhi. REV. FRANK H. LATHOM of Walton, pastor of the bride's home church, and REV. THOMAS CARLISLE, Watertown, former pastor of the church, performed the single-ring service to the strains of organ music played by the groom's father. FREDERICK RAY, Franconia, N.H., acted as best man for his brother. Maid of honor was MISS MARY MCCALL, Walton, roommate of MISS WILSON for the two years they attended the N. Y. State Agricultural and Technical Institute at Delhi. Ushers were: HARBY WILSON, Beerston; ROGER BYRD, Delhi; PAUL and BENJAMIN ALLMOND, both of Katonah; LYLE and DOUGLAS WILSON. Bridesmaids were MISS CATHERINE ROSSMANN, Glendale, L. I., who wore orchid net; MISS JOAN WEBER, Delhi, in pink eyelet; MISS MARGARET MEEK, Deposit, in orchid eyelet; MISS ALTA McGIBBON, Walton, in blue eyelet and net; MISS GLADYS BOWKER, Sidney, wore yellow net trimmed with tiny yellow bows. She and ARTHUR WILSON acted as junior attendants. NILES WILSON was ring bearer. BURTON WILSON carried his sister's train. Each bridesmaid carried a white bible, a gift of the bride, and a small nosegay of yellow roses picked from a bush at the girlhood home of MRS. WILSON. Tiny beads were caught into streamers matching each gown. MISS McCALL wore yellow net. Ushers wore white carnations. The bride's wedding dress was of white organdy with a train. Organdy edging and lace were used for trimming by MISS WILSON, who made her own gown. She carried white roses. Her veil of lace was caught into a halo of braided organdy with artificial orange blossoms from the veil of MRS. R. B. RAY. The groom's mother were a toast colored silk and lace dress and a corsage of talisman roses. MRS. WILSON chose a blue ensemble and corsage of yellow roses. The bride was given in marriage by her father. For her going away costume, MRS. RAY chose a navy blue ensemble with white accessories and wore a corsage of white carnations. MISS WILSON attended schools in Deposit and Callicoon before entering Walton High school where she graduated with the class of '47. She was active in 4-H work during her school years, winning many prizes in exhibits of both homemaking and poultry projects. She was one of the first Delaware County 4-H members to exhibit in the poultry show in New York city in 1943. Her white rocks returned with 2nd and 3rd prizes the first year the show allowed 4-H exhibits to enter. She graduated from Delhi Agricultural and Technical Institute this June. MR. RAY is a graduate of Katonah High school. He is a veteran of 3 years in the armed forces in the Pacific theater, serving the MacARTHUR's personal command. He graduated from the New York State Agricultural and Technical Institute at Delhi, class of '47. And has since been employed by the school. He is supervisor of the poultry flock at present. The will be at home in an apartment on the campus of the school after their return from a wedding trip of undisclosed destination.
GRANT/McLEAN Wedding Announcement
(There is a picture of MRS. LLOYD GRANT if anyone would like a copy.)
MARRIED IN HAMDEN (From Delhi Correspondent)
MISS PHYLLIS M. McLEAN, daughter of MR. and MRS. THEODORE McLEAN of Hamden, was married Sunday afternoon at the Hamden Presbyterian church to LLOYD GRANT, son of MR. and MRS. GEORGE E. GRANT of Delhi. The double ring ceremony was preformed by DR. CAMERON B. REED before an altar decorated with baskets of peach and white gladioli, yellow chrysanthemums, with violet delphinium used at the center. Music was furnished by MRS. CLARK HILLIS, church organist, and MISS JEAN COULTER, cousin of the bride, vocal soloist. Given in marriage by her father, the bride was attended by her cousin, MRS. ERIC MEYERHOFF, East Meredith, matron of honor, and MISSES JANET ECKERT, Hamden, and OLIVE CLARK, Delhi, bridesmaids. Best man for his brother was GEORGE E. GRANT, JR. of Delhi, and ushers were EDWIN GRANT, another brother, and DONALD BEHR, also of Delhi. The bride wore white satin designed with deep lace bertha fastened with a band of seed pearls, and marquisette yoke rising to a high round neckline, full skirt and train. Her fingertip veil was caught with a seed pearl wreath, and she carried a cascade bouquet of pink and white carnations. The attendants' dresses were identical in satin with drop shoulders and draped hips to simulate a bustle. The maid of honor wore god and carried a colonial bouquet with lavender predominating in the assorted flowers. MISS ECKERT wore emerald green, and carried a yellow bouquet and MISS CLARK, dusty rose, with a blue bouquet. All wore flower wreaths in their hair. Reception for about 35 included the immediate families and close friends of the young couple at the church parlors. A tiered cake, crystal and silver were included in the appointments of the bride's table, and buffet refreshments were served by members of the church guild. MRS. GRANT is a graduate of Delaware Academy and Albany Business college and is employed in the personnel department at the Scintilla Magneto division in Sidney. MR. GRANT, who attended Delaware academy, served nearly three years in the U. S. army in World War II, principally in the Pacific theater and is a veteran of Luzon. He too is employed at Scintilla.
Obituary - RODERICK FITCH, Walton, Dies at 81
RODERICK FITCH, lifelong resident of Walton, died Tuesday, Oct. 18, at the home of his daughter, MRS. RALPH VAN HORN, in Bedford, Quebec, Canada. MR. FITCH, who was 81 years old had been ill during the past year and since July had been with his daughter in Bedford. The son of GEORGE W. and HARRIET SINCLAIR FITCH, MR. FITCH was born in Walton Nov. 3, 1867. He married ADELAIDE HAWLEY at Hawley Station on June 15, 1892. MRS. FITCH died in 1948. Two children, MRS. VAN HORN of Bedford, Quebec and R. HAWLEY FITCH of Seattle, Wash., survive. Always active in the work of the First Congregational church, Walton, to which he belonged, he was for five years superintendent of the Sunday school and taught a Sunday school class for more than forty years. He took an active part in county-wide church work and was deeply interested in the missionary work of the church. For over 55 years MR. FITCH sang in the choir. RODERICK FITCH was a charter member of the Delaware County Men's choir. He was famed throughout the county and wherever the choir made appearances for his recitations from memory of long passages of scripture, done in a sonorous voice. He kept a record so that he would never repeat a selection twice before the same audience. On of his best passages was Acts 26, the chapter of Acts in which St. Paul appears before Agrippa and tells of his conversion. For many years, MR. FITCH was associated with his father and brother, George, in conducting the firm of Fitch and sons, located at the corner of Mead and North streets where the Victory store now named Brothers. it was relocated onto Delaware street. After his retirement as a merchant he went into the real estate business on a small scale. He was a member of the Walton Kiwanis club. Funeral services were held on Thursday, Oct. 20, at 2 in the afternoon in the First Congregational church, Walton. REV. HARRY H BERGEN, PASTOR OF THE CHURCH, OFFICIATED. Burial was made in Walton Cemetery.
Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Dec. 16, 1949
Going through the various stages of blood-letting and pre and post donating care like clockwork 120 people of Walton and vicinity exhausted the Red Cross supply of bottles here Wednesday in a Blood Donor day termed by MRS. WILLIAM BROOKS, local executive secretary of the ARC, as highly successful. Walton was 20 per cent over its quota of blood donors since the quota set for this population was 100 pints. On Tuesday the bloodmobile received 119 pints at Sidney. Walton had 131 registered, and 11 more walked in without appointments and could not be taken, they were assured that they would have an opportunity to give another time as the crew taking the blood had only 120 bottles with them. MRS. KENNETH CORNELL of Walton, was the first to give blood in the Walton chapter area. A large staff of local volunteers assisted the professionals. Hostesses were - MRS. CHARLOTTE MELONEY, chairman; MRS. ARCHIBALD THOMSON, MRS. DONALD WHITEMAN, and MRS. WILLIAM BRUCE. Nurses assisting were MRS. GEORGE WHITE, MRS. THOMAS COULTER, MRS JOHN R. CLARK, MRS. LEE McCOOK, MRS. DONALD MOORE, MRS. HARRY WILBUR, JR. and MRS. FRANK HARDING, Red Cross nurse's aide. Chairmen of volunteer nurses' committee were MRS. HARDING and MRS. DONALD WHITEMAN. Staff aides under MRS. EDWARD BIGERT, chairman, were MRS. PAUL BARNHART, MRS. JERRY DONOVAN and MRS. DONALD JORDAN. Members of the V. F. W. Ladies' Auxiliary, who conducted the canteen, were MRS. GEORGE BARROWS, chairman; MRS. LOUIS RHINEHART, MRS. FRED DuMOND, MRS. MYRTLE HALL, MRS. RAY TELFORD, MRS. MARY BOSCIA, MRS. FLORENCE HOUCK, MRS. FRANCIS HARE and MRS. D. W. PARSONS. REV. V. O. BOYLE, THOMAS HAWKINS and a team of four Walton High school boys assisted in loading and unloading equipment which was set up in the Episcopal parish house. Direction signs were made by the Walton Boy Scouts. MRS. NATHAN LINCOLN constructed the Red Cross donor banner which was hung all day Wednesday over Delaware Street. Letters on the banner were designed by DURWOOD BERRYANN and it was put up by courtesy of C. & B. Electric.
Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - Sept. 6, 1946
Among friends who recently called on MR. and MRS. HERBERT J. GRANSBURY at 100 St. John street were: MR. and MRS. RAY SUTLIFF of Buffalo, MR. and MRS. REID HOLMES and son of Schenectady, MR. and MRS. WALTER ALVERSON and family of Detroit, Mich., MR. and MRS. WILLIAM OPPELAR of West Wood, N.J., and PATRICK HAMILTON of Elizabeth, N. J.
MR. and MRS. FRANK S. ARMSTRONG announce the engagement of their daughter, RETHA LOUISE, to C. DONALD BEARDSLEE of Walton.

Note: They were married on 31 Dec. 1946, and MRS. ARMSTRONG was the former IRENE McLACHAN.
clipping date - Aug. 1946
MR. and MRS. OLIN BEERS and niece, MISS THELMA HENRY of Chicago, Ill., are spending a few days in Walton and will attend the BEERS Reunion at Bassett park Sunday. MR. BEERS, an engineer on the Sante Fe railroad, is a son of the late CLARK BEERS, Beerston. Also here for the BEERS reunion are MR. and MRS. WALTER ALVERSON, daughter, RUTH and son, RICHARD, of Detroit, Mich.

Notes: This is Olin Ray Beers and his wife, the former Lola Grace Henry; and Mrs. Walter Alverson is the former Lena Belle Beers, sister to Olin.
clipping - Date: Sept., 1946
MR. and MRS. HARRY A. WILBUR announce the marriage of their daughter, PAULINE IDA, to ALBERT D. SALERNO, son of MR. and MRS. PETER SALERNO of 3127 Odames avenue, Ogden, Utah. The ceremony was performed at the Hugenot Memorial church in Pelham Manor by REV. WILLARD SOPER on Friday afternoon, Sept. 20, at 4:30. After a short stay in Washington D.C., they will leave for Utah were they expect to make their home.

Note: Mrs. Wilbur is the former Flora P. Paine, and Mrs. Salerno is the former Jessie Vessa.
newspaper clipping - 1946 - Wedding held Sept. 21, 1946
NOTE: There is a picture of the couple, if anyone would like a copy)

At Beerston Presbyterian church Saturday afternoon at 1; REV. FRANK H. LATHOM, pastor of Walton Reformed Presbyterian church, performed the double ring ceremony uniting LORRAINE WHITAKER HARRIS, daughter of MR. and MRS. ORVILLE WHITAKER of Beerston, and ROBERT GALLEY son of MRS. SUSIE GALLEY of Walton. The ceremony took place before a white arch trimmed with hydrangea, gladioli, smilax and baskets of mixed garden flowers. Beerston church was filled for the occasion. The bride wore a gold silk crepe street length dress with black accessories and a corsage of read roses. She was attended by MRS. LYNN HOLLEY of Syracuse, who wore an aqua silk crepe street length dress with brown accessories and corsage of yellow roses. MRS. WARD HOLLEY of Syracuse, bridesmaid, was in pink silk crepe street length dress with black accessories and her corsage was made up of yellow roses. LYNN HOLLEY attended MR. GALLEY as best man and ushers were WARD HOLLEY of Syracuse and CLAIR GALLEY of Walton. MISS ELLEN LATHOM, at the piano, played traditional wedding music and prior to the ceremony accompanied MISS LETHA CONWAY, soloist. Sixty attended a reception at the home of the bride's parents immediately following the ceremony. Presiding at the serving table were MRS. KENNETH GRAY and MRS. GRAHAM JACKSON, both of Beerston. MR. and MRS. GALLEY left on a wedding trip to northern New York state and Canada and will be at home Oct. 1 on their farm at Loomis brook. The bride is graduate of Walton High, class of '40, and MR. GALLEY is employed at Rockroyal creamery. He was 20 months overseas with the army in the Pacific area taking part in five invasions. He was discharged Mar. 7, 1946. Attending from out of town were MR. and MRS. LEWIS BUDINE, MRS. IVAN AXTELL and MRS. JOHN AXTEL, Deposit; MRS. RALPH HAGER and daughter, DONNA, Bainbridge; MRS. GEORGE PADDOCK, MR. and MRS. LYNN HOLLEY and son, MICHAEL, MR. and MRS. WARD HOLLEY and MRS. HENRY AUTH, Syracuse; MR. and MRS. WILLIAM DECKELMAN, Jeffersonville; MR. and MRS. PERRY WILLIS, Masonville; MR. and MRS. O. F. WHITAKER and MR. and MRS. SHELDON BUDINE, Cannonsville.

Note: Below is maiden names of women that are in my family file...
newspaper clipping - 1947
ELMER LeROY NORTHRUP of Delhi died Friday, May 16, at the Delaware sanitarium near Delhi, where he had been a patient for four days. He had been in poor health for sever years. He was 57 years of age. A native of Walton, MR. NORTHRUP had lived at Delhi for 27 years. He was a farmer by occupation. Surviving are is wife and six sons, CAPTAIN LeROY, Fort Monmouth, N.J., ROBERT, Delhi, WILLIAM, Bovina, ROLAND, Binghamton, JUSTINE, Bovina, and HERBERT, Delhi; a daughter, RUTH, Delhi; a sister, MRS. CHARLES HOOD, Downsville; two brothers, GEORGE, Unadilla, and JOHN, Walton. The funeral was held at 2 p.m. Monday at Hall Funeral home, Delhi, REV. WILLIAM J. SHANE, rector of St. James' Episcopal church at Lake Delaware, officiated. Burial was made in Walton cemetery.

NOTE: MRS. CHARLES HOOD was the former Estella (Stella) Northrup.
newspaper clipping - 1947
FRANK P. DUNN, 59 partner and manager of Dunn & Kellam's Royal restaurant in Walton, died Monday afternoon, Oct. 20, after an illness of only a few hours. MR. DUNN had finished his work at the restaurant between 2 and 3 Monday morning and had gone to his home on Howell street. A few hours later he suffered a stroke of apoplexy and never regained consciousness. He died about 5 that afternoon. Born Feb. 23 1888, on a farm at Long Eddy, MR. DUNN's boyhood was spent in the town of Hancock. He entered the restaurant business while very young and for some time was employed at the O. & W. railroad restaurant at Cadosia when that place was teeming with travelers and railroad crews. He came to Walton 29 years ago and for more than 20 years he was cook on the early morning shift at the Royal restaurant. His health began to fail and several years ago he returned to the homestead farm near French Woods, operating it until about two years ago, when he sold the place and returned to Walton, again entering the restaurant business. Eighteen months ago, he and Assemblyman ELMER J. KELLAM joined in purchasing the restaurant business of CHARLES M. EVANS, which they have operated under its old-time name of Royal restaurant with MR. DUNN as manager. Because of food shortages, high prices and government regulations MR. DUNN found it necessary to give his business unceasing attention and there are probably few men who worked the long hours he did. He was a good visitor, had a natural courtesy, and made a host of friends both in Walton and with the traveling public. On March 8, 1919, MR. DUNN was married to MISS JENNIE WISSINGER, who survives him. He also leaves five sisters, MRS. MARY BROWN, MRS. ROSALIE BRAZIE, MRS. MARGARET E. JARVIS, MRS. MINNIE G. SMITH and MRS. LUCRETIA FANNING, and four brothers, HARRY, NELSON, WILLIAM and GEORGE DUNN. A Masonic funeral service was held at Lyon Brothers' funeral chapel Wednesday night at 7:30. The funeral was held at the First Congregational church, Walton, of which he was a member, Thursday afternoon at 2. REV. HARRY H. BERGEN officiated at the services and burial was made in Walton cemetery.

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger