Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

Obituaries, Funeral Cards, Marriages, & misc. articles

These items come from my Mother-in-law, Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson, she and Walter Alverson, were both born in Beerston, and graduated from Walton High School. After they married they lived in Indiana, Michigan and Florida. She kept a subscription to the Walton Newspaper and cut out these clippings of her relatives and friends. I am sorry to say there are no dates on the clippings to tell when they were printed in the newspaper, but most of them have dates within the clippings. I hope you will enjoy these. I remain, an avid researcher, --Diana Alverson

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson - Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1958

S. E. BRINK Was Forestry Pioneer
SHELDON EDWARD BRINK, 68, who pioneered development of school forests in New York state, died Wednesday, Oct. 15, 1958, in Walton. Mr. Brink had suffered a coronary thrombosis five days prior to his passing. He was the first in the state to develop a school forest, and the pine grove on Pine hill overlooking Walton's east end is a monument to his work. The first planting of the forest was in 1925 on the western slope of Pine hill. MR. BRINK established a forestry club in 1927 and the largest school forest in the state was a result of his efforts. In 1932, he organized the first high school rifle club in Walton High and conducted the defense school in 1941. For 26 years he was a teacher in vocational agriculture in Walton schools. He retired from teaching in 1948. In 1942, MR. BRINK had the honor of being one of the two first vocational agriculture teachers in the state to teach 20 years in the same school. Because of his ability, MR. BRINK was selected chairman of Delaware county vocational agriculture teachers in 1937 and 1939. Active in his community and in the United Presbyterian Church of which he was a member, he also was an amateur radio enthusiast. A Walton resident since 1922, he came here from Oneida where he had married Alma Ruth Taylor on June 28, 1922. He was born in Marathon, June 2, 1890, the son of J. LAWRENCE and MARTHA S. BRINK. He was a member of Walton Lodge 559 F. & A. M. and Willowemoc Chapter 304, O. E. S. Surviving are his wife of Walton; a daughter, MRS. DOUGLAS LINDSAY of Walton; two sons, HUBERT M BRINK of Dover, N.H., and SHELDON EARL BRINK of N. Truro, Mass., and 10 grandchildren. The funeral will be Sunday afternoon at 2 in Lyon Brothers chapel, Walton, with REV. JOHN McCREIGHT officiating. Interment will be in Walton Cemetery. The family has requested that gifts be made to the Heart Fund in lieu of flowers.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson - Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - handwritten date Feb 1959

CHARLES F. WANDELL, 80, of Oswego, died Sunday night at his home, after a long illness. He is survived by his wife, MRS. ESTHER WANDELL of Oswego and several nieces and nephews. The body was removed to the MacPherson Funeral Home, Newark Valley, where friends may call from 7 to 9 o'clock at night.
Another notice
WANDELL - The funeral of CHARLES F. WANDELL will be held at the McPherson Funeral Home in Newark Valley, Wednesday at 2 p.m. The REV. MAURICE GARDNER will officiate. Burial will be in Flemingville Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home today from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.
NOTE: According to family records his wife was the former MARY ESTHER HAWKINS.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson - Real Estate for Sale Brochure - no date (after 1954)
This is the family of Hazel Irene (Wilbur) and Abram L. Stewart. Also there are two pictures one of the house and one of the barns and out-buildings.


This well-established dairy farm lies between the west branch of the Delaware River and Route 10, with about a mile of frontage on each. In a locality of dairy and produce farms, the elevation is high with beautiful views in all directions. Farm implements are included with the property. The residence is a comfortable Early American farmhouse of 9 rooms with center hall. A bedroom and lavatory are on the first floor, and there are f bedrooms and bath upstairs. A 7-room cottage is also on the property. The huge 3-story barn, in excellent condition, contains 62 stanchions and 8 stalls, and can store 450 tons of hay. Equipment for dairy operation includes a milk house with 12-can cooler, stable cleaner and silo unloader. A silo adjoins the barn. There are about 100 acres in pasture and the same area of tillable fields. Some 20 acres in hard maple trees are included in 70 acres of woodland. Attractive landscaping surrounds the residence and extends to the other buildings. There are flowers, shrubs, raspberry bushes, apple trees, and a great variety of shade trees. Up-to-date town facilities are at Delhi, 6 miles away. This property offers the advantages of a pleasant country home with income from a dairy or farm operation.

RESIDENCE: 9 rooms (5 bedrooms, 1 ½ baths). Early American farmhouse, built about 1800. Repainted 1954. Clapboard on stone foundation. Shingle roof. Oak, pine and chestnut floors, random width. Coal hot air heat. Electric water heater. Artesian well and spring. Electricity. Telephone. First Floor: Colonial doorway. Center Hall. Living Room (18' x 15') paneled walls, original chestnut floor. Family Room (18' x 15'), Dining Area (16' x 7'). Bedroom, closet. Lavatory. Kitchen (20' x 10' L-shape), coal and wood range, cabinets, washer. Storage room. Second Floor: Master Bedroom, large closet. 3 Single Bedrooms, all with closets. Hall Bathroom. Storage area. Rear stairway to kitchen. Basement: Furnace Room. Rear entrance from yard.
2-car Garage

FARM COTTAGE: 7 rooms and a bath.

BARN (93' X 66'): 3 Stories. 62 stanchions, 6 box stalls, 2 horse stalls, water buckets, water heater, barn cleaner. Storage for 450 tons of hay. SILO, with unloader.

MILK HOUSE, 12-can cooler.

PROPERTY: Approx. 270 Acres, 100 acres tillable, 100 acres pasture, 70 acres of woodland includes 20 acres of hard maple trees. Ample water. About 1 mile flat land frontage on river. 1 mile of good road frontage. Landscaping around residence, flowering shrubs and bushes, flower garden, raspberry patch, many varieties of trees - locust, elm, apple, etc.

LOCATION: Hamden, Delaware County, New York. Area of dairy and produce farms. Good stores, schools, churches, bus station, at Delhi, 6 miles. New York City, 150 miles, 4 hours by car.

INCLUDED IN SALE: Ferguson tractor with mower; 8-end Ford tractor; tractor-plow; tractor disk harrow; land roller; seeder; ensilage cutter; buzz saw; manure spreader; 2 hay wagons and riggings; wagon box; blower for fodder belt and pipe.

OFFERED AT $34,500

OWNERS: MR. and MRS. ABRAM STEWART, Hamden, R.D. #1, Delaware County, New York. Tel.: DElhi 7-2453.

PROPERTY: Route #10, Hamden, Delaware County, New York.

INSPECTION: Through owner on property

Owner authorizes one commission of 5 % of the selling price to the selling broker.
MTG.: Free and Clear No. 25022
TAXES: Approx. $900 5810
PREVIEWS INCORPORATED The National Real Estate Clearing House
49 EAST 53rd STREET, NEW YORK 22, N.Y. Plaza 8-2630

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson - Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date

FREDERICK R. DARLING, supervising principal of Walton Schools from 1906 to 1916, died at the Brooks hospital in Dunkirk, Thursday, Sept 10. MR. DARLING left Walton in 1916 to become superintendent of the Dunkirk school system and served in that capacity until his retirement in 1939. He was know throughout the state as an educational leader. MR. DARLING spent the winter in Florida and his health began to fail last February and death was caused by a complication of diseases. He was born at Andover on November 7, 1873 and attended Cornell university, later transferring to the University of Chicago, and then took a postgraduate course at Columbia university. He began teaching in 1892 and held the principalships of several schools before coming to Walton in 1906. During the ten-year period in which he was supervising principal of the Walton schools, he endeared himself to the students and took a prominent part in local activities. In partnership with C.G. DuMOND he developed a large reforestation tract and has a summer home among the pines which he often visited. When in Walton, he spent much of the time renewing old friendships. In Dunkirk, MR. DARLING soon won a place of high honor in that city and held many offices in civic and charitable organizations. Of his work in the schools at Dunkirk the Dunkirk Evening Observer said in a recent issue: "When MR. DARLING relinquished his duties as head of the Dunkirk school system he was recognized as one of the foremost educators in the state and is accredited with having accomplished more on behalf of the school system than any other man of his time." MR. DARLING is survived by his wife and four sons by a former marriage, CARL E. DARLING, former New York state assemblyman from the second Chautauqua district and presently engaged in the practice of law in Dunkirk; FRANCIS W. DARLING of Buffalo, who is a major in the U. S. army; RALPH E. DARLING of Washington, D.C., who is a heating engineer, and PAUL S. DARLING, who is associated with his brother CARL E. DARLING, in Dunkirk. He also leaves three brothers, VERNE E. DARLING of Howard, N.Y.; REV. ROGER DARLING of San Jose, Calif., and FAY C. DARLING of Walton, and four grand children. MR. DARLING's funeral was held Monday at 10 a.m. in St. John's Episcopal church. The body was taken to Hornell for burial.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date

MRS. MINNIE A. SCOTT died at her home, 56 Burton street, Walton, on Saturday, May 17. She was 84 years old and death was to due to the infirmities of age. MRS. SCOTT was born at Cannonsville Oct. 6, 1862. Her childhood was spent at Cannonsville and Hamden and the rest of her life she has resided in Walton, where she was known as "Mother Scott" by almost everyone because of her kindness and willingness to help others. She was twice married. In 1881 she was married to Charles Hood, who died in 1890. Of this union four children survive, ERNEST HOOD, Oneida; CHARLES HOOD, Washington, D.C.; FRED HOOD, Walton and MRS. JENNIE ALLEN, Walton. In 1901 she married EDWARD A. SCOTT. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at Lyon Brothers funeral chapel in Walton, REV. H. G. LINCOLN officiating. Burial was made in the Walton cemetery.

(NOTE: My family files says her name was MARY ANN LEWIS, daughter of AUGUSTUS and PHEOBE UNDERWOOD LEWIS, MINNIE being a nickname, also my records record her death as 1942, and this obituary, with her age and birth date, would be 1946.)

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - date 1941

A quiet wedding was solemnized Wednesday afternoon, Aug. 6, by REV. FRANK LATHOM of Walton when MISS LAURA HARRIS, daughter of MR. and MRS. EDGAR HARRIS of Beerston, became the bride of WARD HOLLEY, also of Beerston. The ceremony was performed at the home of the bride's parents. The couple was attended by MISS MARGUERITE HARRIS, sister of the bride, and LYNN HOLLEY of Syracuse, brother of the groom. The bride was attired in a bale blue crepe dress with white accessories and wore a corsage of white talisman roses. Her attendant, gowned in a navy blue crepe dress with white accessories, wore a corsage of pink talisman roses. After the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents and refreshments consisting of ice cream and cake were served. The bride is a graduate of Walton High school, class of '41, and the groom was graduated from Mt. Upton High school in the class of '36. He is attending defense school in Sidney. With showers of good wishes the young couple left on a short wedding trip. For the present MR. and MRS. HOLLEY will reside at the bride's home.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date

AUGUSTUS H. GRABY, 70 died at his home in Cannonsville Saturday, May 22. A prayer service was held at his home Tuesday morning at 11 o'clock and the funeral was held at the Dutch Reformed church in North Branch at 2 o'clock, REV. FRANK LATHOM of Walton officiating. Burial was made in the North Branch cemetery. MR. GRABY was born in Fremont Aug. 16, 1877, and spent his early life in that section. He conducted a farm at Beerston for many years and three years ago moved to Cannonsville where he had since made his home. Although he lost his left hand in an accident many years ago he was able to do most of his farm work and was known as one of the best farmers in this area. He was always among the first to get his crops in, in the spring and his hay crop harvested in the summer. He was a good judge of cattle and always had a high-producing dairy. He was a member of the Presbyterian church at Beerston. MR. GRABY is survived by his wife; two daughters, MRS. CHARLOTTE LAMBERT of Binghamton and JULIA, Cannonsville; two sons, KENNETH of Beerston and BERT of Granton; one step-son MARVIN SCHLOSS, Cannonsville; three step-daughters, MRS. BARBARA SKINNER of Binghamton, MRS. CAROL HIGLEY of Unadilla and MISS RUTH SCHLOSS, Cannonsville; and three brothers, EDWARD, OSMER and ARTHUR GRABY, Callicoon.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date

MRS. BERNICE HILLER announces the engagement of her daughter, MISS JOYCE BERNICE to RICHARD LEWIS of Laramie, Wyoming. They plan to be married in June.

(NOTE: there is a pictures with this announcement if an anyone is interested let me know. Also MRS. BERNICE HILLER is the former BERNICE BELLE BEERS and JOYCE's father was HAROLD CHAUNCEY HILLER.)

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson - Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - hand-written date - Jan. 23, 1942


VIRGIL E. HOUCK, son of MR. and MRS. LAWRENCE E. HOUCK of 75 Bruce street, Walton, who enlisted in the navy on April 28, 1941, is now in the Hawaiian Islands. VIRGIL graduated from the Walton High school in June, 1940. After his enlistment he received preliminary training at Norfolk, Virginia, and in August was transferred to the naval base at San Diego, California. Recently his parents received a letter by air mail stating that he was at Camp Andrews, Nanakuli, Oahu, near Pearl Harbor. He says, "You'll have to use your imagination as to what I'm doing because I can't tell you. I'm as good as ever. In fact, I can never get sick enough to get out of work. I'm here in this camp for awhile. Don't know how long and couldn't tell you if I did." VIRGIL celebrated his 19th birthday on Christmas day. He rates as second class seaman.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
VIRGIL ELLSWORTH HOUCK passed away at this home on Thursday, March 18, 1999. VIRGIL was born in Walton, on Dec. 25, 1922, the son of LAWRENCE and FLORENCE (BEERS) HOUCK. VIRGIL was a World War II Navy veteran, member of the VFW and United States Naval Cryptologic Veterans Association and past president and member of the Club Royale. He was an avid golfer, bowler and gardener, but his greatest joy was his family and friends. He is survived by his wife, WILLA HALL HOUCK; his son, WILLIAM, and wife, SUZANNE, of Houston, Texas; his son STEPHEN, and wife, GAYE, of Walton; grandchildren, VANESSA and JASON of Houston, Texas, and TARRA and ROBERT BARNHART and MELISSA HOUCK of Walton; great-grandson, DUSTIN BARNHART; and his brother, ERIC and his wife RUTH of Walton.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - handwritten date July 24, 1942

MISS PAULINE WILBUR, daughter of MR. and MRS. HARRY WILBUR of Walton, has been graduated from the nursing school of Kings County hospital, Brooklyn, and is with her parents until Sept. 1 when she will return to duty. MISS WILBUR, a graduate of Walton High school, class of 1939, will try state examinations for a registered nurse's license in the fall.

(There is a picture with this article, if anyone would like to have a copy, just let me know.)

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - date - 1945

FRED G. BEERS died at his home at Rock Rift Thursday, Aug 23. He had been ill about a year. MR. BEERS was born at Beerston, July 27, 1886, the son of MR. and MRS.EPHRIAM BEERS. He lived at Beerston for 22 years and then moved to the farm near the Wakeman brook bridge at Rock Rift, where he has since resided. He is survived by his wife; one son, BRYAN BEERS; a brother CHARLES BEERS of Johnson City; two sisters, MRS. GEORGIANNA GARRISON of Walton; and MRS. MARTHA JOHNSON of Walton. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock at Lyon Brothers funeral chapel in Walton, REV. HENRY G. LINCOLN officiated and burial was made in the Walton Cemetery.

(In the family records, he is known as ALFRED GEE BEERS, and his wife is ETHEL LILLIAN (RODE) BEERS.)

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson - Walton Reporter newspaper clippings - (Hand written year - 1938)

(Cannonsville correspondent)
LAWRENCE MILLS of Deposit and MISS CECELIA TEED, daughter of MR. and MRS. HOGAN TEED of Johnny brook, stole a march on their friends and were quietly untied in marriage January 3 by REV. M. W. POMEROY at the Baptist parsonage in Deposit. They were accompanied by the bride's parents and two brothers. The newly wedded couple will reside at Barbourville.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson - Walton Reporter newspaper clippings - (Hand written year - 1938)

HENRY N. TRIPP of Beerston died in Binghamton City hospital Wednesday of lymphatic leukemia after a week's illness. He was 70 years old. MR. TRIPP was born Dec. 16, 1868, the son of ADELBERT and FANNIE ALDEN TRIPP, at Conklin Forks. On Feb. 23, 1865, he was married to CORA BOWKER. HENRY TRIP was a progressive and energetic farmer, a good husband and father. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of Beerston. Surviving besides his wife are two sons, MORRIS TRIPP of Walton and HAROLD TRIPP of Binghamton; two daughters, MRS. LELAH JACOB of Unadilla and MRS. EVA CREVELING of Conklin; seven grandchildren, MARJORIE, RAYMOND, LOUISE and FERN JACOB of Unadilla, and JOYCE, FAY and MAUREEN TRIPP of Walton; two brothers WILLARD TRIPP of Conklin Forks and ADELBERT TRIPP of Hanford, California, and four sisters, MRS. EUNICE L. EGAN, MRS. PHOEBE A. CRAW and MRS. PAULINE FORSTER of Binghamton, and MRS. EMILY I. HANSEN of Spring Grove, Virginia. Funeral services will be held from the Presbyterian church at Beerston on Sunday afternoon at two o'clock, preceded by a prayer service at the home at one. REV. FRANK LATHOM will officiate at the services and burial will be made in Walton Cemetery.

Note: Diana, On the Henry Tripp obituary it says he was born Dec.16, 1868 and was married Feb.23, 1865, do you suppose that was an error in the newspaper? Thanks Rhonda

Rhonda, thank you for reading this so carefully, I had not noticed but that is the dates in the article, maybe someone can give us the correct dates. Henry Tripp is not in my family line but was a friend of my mother and father in law's and went to the same church they did.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson, Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - April 21, 1923

MRS. THOMAS A. ALVERSON of Beerston downed herself in the west branch of the Delaware River near her home on Saturday evening between 8 and 9 o'clock. MRS. ALVERSON had been in ill health for some time and is thought to have been mentally unbalanced. On Saturday evening about 8 o'clock a neighbor, MRS. OSCAR ROTZLER, came to the Alverson home and took MRS. ALVERSON out for a short walk. After MRS. ROTZLER left for home, MRS. ALVERSON entered her house. Her husband was sitting in the kitchen and a few minutes later he heard her go out upon the porch and believed she was resting there. The two sons at home, HOWARD and JAMES, had been at Ostrom $ Ives store and soon after 8:30 o'clock JAMES went home and was hollowed a few minutes later by his brother. James went tot he kitchen and sat with his father. On his return, HOWARD shut the barn for the night and on coming back to the house asked where his mother was and was told she was on the porch. Going out there he did not find her and knowing her condition hastened to the home of AUGUSTUS GRABY, the nearest neighbor, to see if MRS. ALVERSON was there. Not finding her at the Graby home the party began a search and one of the first places visited was the river bank. At the head of the rift on the river in front of the Alverson place there is a hole four or five feet deep. The body was found in this spot by MR. GRABY who had stepped into the boat anchored there. MRS. ALVERSON's cape was found on the bank where she had laid it before plunging into the water. MRS. ALVERSON was 56 years of age. She is survived by her husband and six children, WALTER S. of Detroit, Michigan; ROBERT E. of Birmingham, Alabama; CHARLES T. of New York City; JULIA E. of Cobleskill, and HOWARD G. and JAMES H. ALVERSON at home. One brother JAMES H. WILBUR, of Delancey, also survives. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the house conducted by REV. GEORGE E. GUILD, D.D.. Burial was made in the Walton Cemetery.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Hand-written year 1940
THOMAS A. ALVERSON, for many years a resident of Beerston, died at Bainbridge Monday, Nov. 25. MR. ALVERSON was born April 12, 1861, in the town of Walton and for many years operated a farm at Beerston. After selling the farm, he moved to Avon and had lived in Bainbridge only four months. He is survived by five sons, WALTER S. of Detroit, Mich; ROBERT E. of Birmingham, Ala.; CHARLES T. of New York City; HOWARD G. of Detroit, Mich.; and JAMES H. of Bainbridge, also one daughter, MRS. JULIA HOLMES of Schenectady. The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock at Lyon Brothers' funeral chapel, REV. FRANK LATHOM officiating. Burial was made in the Walton Cemetery.
- - - - - - - -
Another article.
NOTICE TO CREDITORS - Pursuant to an order of HON. GLEASON B. SPEENBURGH, district attorney, acting as surrogate of the county of Delaware, notice is hereby given to all persons having claims against THOMAS A. ALVERSON, late of the town of Walton, in said county, deceased, that they are required to exhibit the same with the vouchers thereof, to the subscriber, the executor of the said deceased, at the office of SAMUEL H. FANCHER in the village of Walton, N.Y., on or before the 6th day of June next. Dated December 2, 1940; CHARLES T. ALVERSON; Executor.
SAMUEL H. FANCHER, attorney for Executor, Walton, N.Y.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Another article
Estate of THOMAS A. ALVERSON, late of Walton: Will admitted to probate and letters testamentary issued to CHARLES T. ALVERSON. Bequeathed to WALTER S., CHARLES T., ROBERT E., HOWARD G., and JAMES H. ALVERSON, sons and JULIA A. HOLMES, daughter, all property equal.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping (1941)

MISS MARY MORE, daughter of MR. AND MRS. LOUIS C. MORE, of 15 Third street, Deposit, was united in marriage to EVERETT H. DOIG of Walton, Friday, August 15, 1941, at the Lee road Christian and Missionary Alliance church of Rochester. They were attended by REV. and MRS. ROSWELL WHITE of Pittigrew, Ark. The ceremony was performed by REV. THOMAS HARPER of Canton, Pa. MRS. WHITE is a sister of the bride and MR. HARPER is a brother-in-law of MR. WHITE. MRS. DOIG is a graduate of Walton High school and Walton Training class. Later she attended the Oneonta State Normal and Christian and Missionary Alliance Bible school at Nyack. For the last two years she has been teaching in the Deposit Central school system. MR. DOIG is a graduate of Walton High school and conducts a dairy and poultry farm near Walton.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping (1941)

MRS. ANDREW D. SCOBIE died at the Smith hospital in Walton Tuesday, Jan 21. MRS. SCOBIE had been ill for four months. MARY AMELIA HOUCK was born in the town of Walton, Mar. 22, 1884, the daughter of MRS. and MRS. JOHN H. HOUCK. After her marriage to ANDREW SCOBIE she went to his farm on the river road below Walton where she has since resided. She was a woman whose principal interest was in making a good home for her family and had many friends. She is survived by her husband, one son, ANDREW D. SCOBIE, JR., a brother, HENRY BURTON HOUCK, Walton. The funeral will be held at the late home Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock. REV. FRANK C. DAVIDSON of McKees Rock, Pa., a former pastor of the United Presbyterian church of which she was a member, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Walton Cemetery.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1941

TWO 65th ANNIVERSARIES ARE OBSERVED HERE Two Walton couples, whose married lives have paralleled in time through 65 years, quietly observed the anniversary of this occasion, one with which few wedded couples are blessed, at their respective homes here, Sunday, Jan.26. The couples, MR. and MRS CALVIN DuBOIS and DR. and MRS. JAMES A. HOLLEY, until a few years ago, held joint observances of their anniversary date, Jan. 26, but the ill health of MRS. DuBOIS now prevents such a union celebration. Both MR. DuBOIS and DR. HOLLEY have held outstanding positions in Walton professional, civic and business life, and DR. HOLLEY, owner of Walton's first automobile, at the age of 86, is the dean of vicinity physicians and still carries on the practice of medicine. MR. DuBOIS operated a jewelry store in Walton until his retirement in 1914. DR. and MRS. HOLLEY and MR. and MRS. DuBOIS received large numbers of callers at their respective homes on the anniversary day and remembrances came from far and wide in the form of cards and flowers. The physician and his wife were greeted by fellow church members in Walton Methodist church Sunday. With the unflinching co-operation of MRS. HOLLEY, the doctor hurdled seemingly invulnerable obstacles in his young life to become a physician and surgeon. The precocious manner in which he pursued his studies while in public school early brought attention of school authorities to young HOLLEY and he was encouraged to seek a teacher's license. He taught first in Oxbow Hollow and the next year on East Brook. On Jan. 26, 1876, MISS FLORA BENEDICT, daughter of D. B. BENEDICT of the Oxbow, became his bride. Indefatigable in his burning urge to better himself in life, DR. HOLLEY took up the carpenter trade to make extra income when he was not teaching school. While casting about for a more lucrative and satisfactory occupation while engaged in the drug and undertaking business in Sidney Center, the young man hit upon the profession of medicine. As a result he entered Albany Medical College with his only assets in life a wife and $250. It cannot be lightly said that DR. HOLLEY worked his way through college. He and MRS. HOLLEY worked "their" way through college for her assistance was invaluable to the aspiring medical student, who was class president in his senior year. He is in the 55th year of his practice in Walton and in 1939 his absorbing book on medical practice in the country, "The Recollections of a Country Doctor," was published. Among other notable and progressive civic improvements in Walton, fathered by the doctor was the Holley swimming pool.
DuBOIS - FREER At the bride's home at Highland, Ulster county, Jan 26, 1876, MISS HELENA F. FREER and CALVIN DuBOIS of Ellenville were married. MR. DuBOIS was at that time taking his apprenticeship as a jeweler and watch and clock repairman from his brother, MYRON, an Ellenville jeweler. The young couple moved to Walton in 1882 and he rented a store on Gardiner Place from SILAS ALEXANDER which MR. ALEXANDER constructed for the purpose. It was this store which burned some years ago during the occupancy of the late HARRY PETTIS. As he moved toward a more central point in the village MR. DuBOIS occupied from time to time the place now housing the DR. E. J. J. BIGERT business, the store now occupied by MISS SARAH E. POND and more recently the Cetta Bros. Block which in 1935 was destroyed by fire. About a half century ago he constructed the present H. F. MILES home, corner of Townsend and Mead streets. Here MR. DuBOIS took time out from his thriving jewelry and timepiece repairing business to join with MRS. DuBOIS in the social life of the village. Their home became the epitome of hospitality and their role in community life was an enviable one. The business was sold to their son, MYRON, in 1914 and MR. and MRS. DuBOIS retired from their larger home to a residence which they constructed on North street. Like the HOLLEYS they were interested in the latest modes of transportation and were on of the first owners of a tandem bicycle and later of the horseless carriage. DR. and MRS. HOLLEY still derive much pleasure from their motor car, the doctor doing his own driving. This was true of MR. DuBOIS until quite recently, but he still enjoys drives with his son as far distance as Binghamton. At 87 the former jeweler keeps abreast of the times by books and newspapers and is a regular attendant at the cinema. MRS. DuBOIS, who is 86, also does a large amount of reading though a semi-invalid. She is able to read without the use of glasses. One year also separates the ages of DR. and MRS. HOLLEY. He is 86 and she is 85, but the Walton physician, who even today cares for a large number of Walton families, says he feels just as young as he ever did though he notices a certain stiffening in his movements. He goes into the country days and drove through this week's snow to visit a home on East Brook in his professional capacity. MRS. HOLLEY, who says she is feeling "well" at the present time though she has had some difficulty with her health during recent years, takes active part in household duties and accompanies the doctor on many of his trips. One of the striking facts in DR. HOLLEY's career is that five of the boys he once employed as custodians of his team and drivers became physicians or dentists. The five are DR. CLARENCE FULLER of Yonkers, DR. FRANK HOLLEY of Sidney, an adopted son of the Walton couple, and DR. FRED WILSON of Overlea, Md., all dentists, and DR. ERVING HOLLEY of Middletown, Conn., a son of DR. HOLLEY's brother, JOHN HOLLEY, and the late DR. CHAUNCEY PATTERSON, medical doctor. DR. WILLIAM CRANSTON of Walton, formerly of Kingston, was also a HOLLEY employee at one time. DR. WILSON a West Delhi boy, cared for the team three years. He expected to visit the HOLLEY's on the anniversary but was prevented from coming by illness. MR. and MRS. DuBOIS have two daughters and a son, MISS LEOLA DuBOIS, at home; MRS. A. B. PALMERTON of Hartford, Conn., and MYRON DuBOIS of Walton. Owing to her health MRS. DuBOIS was unable to have her photograph taken for the Reporter.

(P.S. with this article there is a picture of DR. J. A. HOLLEY and MRS. HOLLEY, let me know if any one would like a copy and I will mail it to them if they send me their snail mail address.)

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1941

PAUL LAKIN and MISS BARBARA STERN were quietly married Wednesday, Aug. 20, at Millerton. MISS STERN's brother, LEO, was one of the witnesses at the ceremony. Both young people are graduates of Walton High school. After graduation MISS STERN attended Syracuse university for two years, where she studied art. Recently she has been assisting her mother, MRS. SUSAN STERN, in her store in Walton. MR. LAKIN entered the employ of the Woolworth chain after leaving high school and was assistant manager of a store in Lockport, when ill health caused his to give up that position last year. He is now employed at the Scintilla plant in Sidney. MR. and MRS. LAKIN have many friends in Walton who wish them all happiness.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1941

NORMAN LEWIS WALL, a respected resident of this vicinity for many years, died at his home, 161 Stockton ave, Walton, Wednesday, Dec. 3, after an illness of about four years. During the last few months he has suffered greatly from his affliction. MR. WALL was born at West Pittston, Pa., April 8, 1860. On November 19, 1879, he was united in marriage to MISS ALTA L. PENN, who survives him. Fifty-four years ago, MR. WALL came to Beerston WHERE HE WAS EMPLOYED BY THE Beerston acetate company. He resided there for 21 years and then moved to Walton where he has since resided. For 20 years he was janitor at the Kayser silk mill here. MR. WALL's life was a singularly pleasant one, not because he won any great amount of world goods but because he had the faculty of enjoying the worthwhile things of life. He quietly enjoyed fellowship with others. He was kindly and saw only the best in his friends and acquaintances. His home life was model as both MR. and MRS. WALL seemed to have the same idea in life, which was to bring as much cheer and comfort to others as they could. At the time of his death, MR. and MRS. WALL had been married 53 years. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at MR. WALL's late home. REV. GRANT ROBINSON, pastor of the Methodist church, of which he was a member, will conduct the service. Burial will be made in the Walton Cemetery.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - 1941

MR. and MRS. GEORGE LAMBERT of Livingston Manor celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Nov. 9 at the home of MR. and MRS. IRVING FRIEDLANDER at Whitney Point. A buffet luncheon was served at noon. A beautifully decorated wedding cake topped by a miniature bride and groom, served as a centerpiece. MR. and MRS. LAMBERT received $45 in money and a huge bouquet of golden chrysanthemums. Those attending were: MR. and MRS. HALLOCK LAMBERT and daughter, EVELYN, MR. and MRS. RALPH FINCH and daughter, IRENE, MR. and MRS. LYNN SUTLIFF and children, DONALD and MARIE, MR. and MRS. BERNARD SPENCER and daughter, DIANA, all of Walton; MR. And MRS. BRUSER and granddaughter, SIDNEY; MR. and MRS. ERNEST BURROUGHS, Oneonta; MR. and MRS. JOSEPH GARDANE, Granton; MRS. ARLINE BUDINE and children, CHARLES and HENRIETTA, Livingston Manor; MR. and MRS. GEORGE LAMBERT, JR., Whitney Point; MR. and MRS. IRVING FRIEDLANDER and sone, HOWARD, Whitney Point, and MISS RUTH THOMAS, Whitney Point.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no year given

Under a clear blue sky and in a picturesque garden setting, back-grounded by the green wooded mountain, MISS JEANNE ESTHER DECKELMAN, only daughter of District Attorney, MR. and MRS. WILLIAM DECKELMAN, became the bride of THEODORE KING BOWEN, son of MR. and MRS. RALPH BOWEN of Syracuse, at the Deckelman home on Center street at noon on Tuesday, July 15 - the twenty-fifth wedding anniversary of JEANNE's parents, and also the birthday anniversary of her mother, the former BEATRICE FITCH, school teach on Long Eddy. The bridal altar was set up at the entrance to the bride's playhouse, built by her father when she was a child, and the guests, numbering 125, were seated on chairs on the tennis court, between the altar and the street. Following preliminary music by MISS BERNICE E. FUHRER of Kenoza Lake, on her small portable organ, placed on the lawn, and the song, "Oh, Promise Me," by CHARLES HARRISON of the Fern Hotel, Kenoza Lake, the bridal party, at the strains of the wedding march, came from the front door of the house and approached the altar up the center aisle between the guests - the bride on the arm of her father, preceded by the matron of honor, the four bridesmaids, the four ushers and the two flower girls and the little ring bearer. The groom and his best man, CLYDE FOGG of East Williston, L. I., had taken positions at the right of the altar, and were joined by the ushers. The attending ladies took places at the left side. The officiating clergyman, REV. HAROLD BLAKE, O.F.M., head of St. Bonaventure Monastery, Paterson, and former parish priest here, took his place on the portico of the playhouse in a bower of foliage. In addition to the many garden flowers there were decorations of gladiolas, lilies and palms about the altar. In the midst of the ceremony MR. HARRISON sang "Ave Maria." After the ceremony the bride and groom and attendants marched back through the aisle and to a place on the lawn back of the house, were felicitations were given, and a social hour was passed, with refreshments of orange punch and a brew of hops and malt. Photographers were numerous and busy for a time. The bride's attire was of white chiffon and lace, with square neck and puff sleeves; white chiffon gauntlets; a long train; three-quarter length veil of tulle and lace crown; she carried white roses and babies'-breath and wore a pearl necklace. The maid of honor was MRS. HERBERT GRISHABER, aunt of the bride, and she wore white printed organza and carried pink roses and babies'-breath. The four bridesmaids were MISS DORIS HICK, MISS ARLENE BOWEN (sister of the groom), MRS. LEO WOLFF and MRS. LEST GUTE, aunts of the bride. The groom and the best man wore white suits. The ushers were CLYDE FITCH, RAYMOND WALLMAN of Pittsford, N.Y., FRANK OPPERMAN of Syracuse, and JOHN HOFFMAN of Cortland. The flower girls were TERESA, aged 4, daughter of MR. and MRS. CHARLES DECKELMAN of Obernburg, and CYNTHIA, aged 3, daughter of MR. and MRS. HAROLD HAINES (aunt of the bride) of Binghamton. The ring bearer was WILLIAM, aged 4, son of MR. and MRS. LESTER GUTE. The reception was held at Antrim Lodge, Roscoe, at 2 p.m., with nearly one hundred guests and a collation with champagne. A three-tier wedding cake was topped by a miniature couple under a bell, and decorated with cupids, doves, horseshoes, roses and ribbons of icing, was in the center of the bride's table. It was the handiwork of EMIL PFEIFER, a city pastry baker, who bought the M. A. HOFFMANN home in Obernburg. The bride and groom departed about 5 p.m., for a trip up state, and will be at home on a farm just outside Syracuse. The young couple were fellow-graduates of Cornell University in June, the groom in the agricultural courses, and the bride in the science course. Among the out-of-town guests were the groom's parents, MR. and MRS. RALPH BOWEN; MR. and MRS. HAROLD HAINES and son RICHARD of Binghamton, MILFORD FITCH and family of Brooklyn, GEORGE BLAKE FITCH of Munsey, Pa., REV. and MRS. RUSSELL BISHOP (sister of the groom) of Ardsmore, Pa., GRANT L. KING (grandfather of the groom), MRS. FRANK OPPERMAN, Syracuse; MR. and MRS WILLIAM JOHNSON, Walton; MRS. MARTIN BILLS, Broadalbin; MRS. ALICE KRAKAU, MR. and MRS. JAMES LEWIS and grandchild SHIRLEY, Syracuse; GEORGE YURESKA and family, Rockaway, N.J.; MRS. M. G. DECKELMAN and daughter AGNES, Grantwood, N.J.; ROBERT J. EVERINGHAM, South New Berlin; MR. and MRS. W. H. VOIGT, Barryville; MISS DORIS WEBER, Islip, L.I.; MISS CATHERINE DUNHAM, New York; MISS ELEANOR WEARNE, Wassaic, N.Y.; JUDGE GEORGE L. COOKE, MR. and MRS. J. M. KELLEY and daughter; SHERIFF and MRS. WALTER J. FLYNN, Monticello; MISS MARION GEROW, MR. and MRS. A. T. DECKER, MRS. GEORGE B. COOKE, CHARLES CLEMENTS, Liberty; J. MAXWELL KNAPP, Hurleyville.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no year given

(Family Records says this is NENAH GERTRUDE (BEERS) OSTROM, (b. 5 Apr 1867; d. 30 May 1940; wife of Clinton DeWitt Ostrom, deceased 1930. If anyone has more information on these two would you please contact me.)

Estate of NENAH OSTROM, late of Walton
Will admitted to probate and letters testamentary issued to ARDYS WHITAKER. Bequeathed to ARDYS WHITAKER, household furniture, cemetery lot and certain stock; to BERNICE ALEXANDER and NENAH OSTROM, nieces, certain stocks; to PAUL BERTAN, nephew, watch.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - handwritten date May 3, 1924

(This has a picture of all four men, if anyone would like a copy, I would be glad to send it.)

Four of the men in Company F. Tenth Infantry, National Guard New York, to which was presented the War Department trophy for marksmanship, Saturday night, total more than 100 years in military service. They are from left to right: Corporal A. E. OOTHOUDT, 33 years service; Mess Sergeant JAMES J. CONNELLY, 25 years service; Mechanic HARRY WILBUR, 22 years service; Supply Sergeant ROBERT WILBUR, 20 years service. - Courtesy of Binghamton Press.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date

A. BERT GRABY, 27, son of MR. and MRS. AUGUSTUS GRABY of Beerston had a lively yarn to spin in a letter home this week. BERT is a gunner on the U.S.S. Niblack, a passenger boat converted into a United States navy armed vessel on convoy duty to Iceland. The Niblack and three other navy ships operated with the ill-fated Rueben James when she was sunk, presumably by a German U-boat, Oct. 31. BERT entered the navy Oct. 27, 1940, and received his training at Newport, R.I. The Niblack was acting as a convoy vessel and was also carrying marines en route to Iceland. BERT was on his fourth trip to Iceland when the Reuben James was sunk. The first part of his letter is written from his station in Iceland and the last portion is penned as the Niblack approaches Boston harbor. The letter follows:

"Hualfjondun, Iceland
Thursday, Nov 6, 1941
Dear Folks:
There is so much I could write that I don't know where to begin so will start from the time we left Augusta, which was on Oct. 23. We left with four other cans, the H. P. Jones, Benson, Reuben James, and Tarbell. We picked up a convoy of 43 British ships next day. All was calm and quiet except for one day when we ran into a storm. About 5:30 a.m. on Oct 31, the Reuben James was hit by a torpedo and went down. Of course, you have heard about it. I was on watch and heard the explosion and looked out and saw a cloud of black smoke. It was pretty dark so we were not sure which ship was hit. We rushed to pick up the survivors, who numbered 36. The Jones picked up 10 or 11. Don't know whether we got the sub. The Tarbell dropped several charges. We were supposed to leave the convoy that day. Some British corvettes were supposed to meet us. We left them next morning, the corvettes having arrived to relieve us. We brought two ships from the convoy into Iceland with us. Got in Monday morning, the 3rd. The survivors were taken to the battleship, Idaho, where they were given a complete outfit of clothes. The all get 30 days' leave when they reach the states and have the choice of any ship they want to serve on when they return. It is pretty cold here now. The hills are covered with snow. The temperature tonight is about 28 or 30 degrees above zero. I have been outside watching the northern lights. The sure are pretty. It gets dark at 4 in the afternoon and daylight about 8 in the morning. The sun shone from out 10 until 2 today. I say the Kearny Tuesday. She doesn't look too bad for being hit by torpedo. She is alongside a repair ship being patched up so she can make the trip back to the states, which will be sometime this month. The Edison, a destroyer same as this one, came in Tuesday. She is to take the place of the Reuben James. Well, I guess this is all for tonight.
At sea,
Nov. 23, 1941

Dear Folks:
We are nearing Boston at present. Expect to anchor outside about midnight and tie up to the dock early in the morning. We brought another convoy of British ships back. Nothing unusual happened except for an awful storm that lasted for three days. We expect to be in the yard about six days. There isn't much more to write except that I am O.K. Will write again in a day or so.

One hundred lives were lost in the sinking. Forty-five survived the disaster, 43 of whom arrived in New York City, Monday.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date

Assignment of his ship as a troop transport to the submarine-infested Pacific will place Cadet Engineer REX BEERS, JR., son of MR. and MRS. REX BEERS of Beers brook, right in the Pacific war theatre. REX, a former Reporter company employee, is studying and training to become an ensign in the naval reserve aboard the American export ship, Excalibur. For several months now he has been a member of the Excalibur crew on regular runs from the States to Lisbon, Portugal, taking grain and Red Cross supplies to Europe and returning with cargos of wine, cork and olive oil. Recently all commercial shipping on the Atlantic was suspended and the Excalibur has been assigned to troop transport service in the Pacific and will go immediately to that ocean via the Panama canal. BEERS left Sunday to rejoin the crew, after spending a short vacation with his parents. To become an engineer with ensign rating in the naval reserve he must complete satisfactorily 10 months at sea and 12 months of schooling.

From the Scrap Book of Lena Belle (Beers) Alverson Walton Reporter newspaper clipping - no date

His furlough was granted and his railroad ticket purchased when Corporal FRANK IVES, JR., son of MR. and MRS. FRANK T. IVES of Walton was called back to Fort McClellan within the past fort-night to move out with his buddies of Co. F. 106th Infantry. Corporal IVES has a specialist's rating with the military police and is now in charge of 17 trucks of Co. F. When about to leave with the company he was ordered to round up 34 extra truck drivers so that each truck would have three drivers, in readiness apparently for long, continuous driving. It is understood, however, that the company traveled westward by train. He is a chip off the old block. His father was at one time team boss at the Beerston Acetate company plant, later of the Keery Chemical company, and had as many teams to supervise as FRANK JR., has trucks.

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger