Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

From THE DOWNSVILLE NEWS, A. E. Peck Editor, Thursday, August 8, 1901

Leaves from our Reporter's Notebook

Transcribed by Arretta Early

The Round of Life in a Thriving and Busy Community

Erastus Miner and wife went to Equinunk Sunday, called there by the illness of an aunt.

A very enjoyable party was held at the home of Miss Maggie Shaver, near Pepacton, on Friday evening of last week. About 75 were present and the occasion is spoken of as a very delightful one.

Rev. Merle Negley Smith again occupied the pulpit of the Methodist church of Sunday morning and evening, in the absence of the pastor. A large congregation greeted Rev. Smith at the morning service, but a t the evening service the edifice was packed.

H. D. Shaver of Margaretville was a caller in Downsville last week.

The Unadilla Times has the following concerning Mrs. M. S. Fuller of that place, a daughter of Mrs. Perry Radeker, formerly of Colchester: Mrs. M. S. Fuller will go to Oneonta Friday and the next day her left arm will be amputated just below the shoulder in the hopes of staying the progress of a large "stone" cancer, the seat of which is about half way between the elbow and shoulder. The cancer has been forming for over six years and in size is now nearly as large as one's head. Fruitless efforts have been made to check the progress by applications and the knife. It was decided that amputation only would save her life longer than a few weeks.

Frank Davis of Milford, residing across the river from the village, on the Chauncey farm, was struck by lightning during the severe thunder storm of Tuesday afternoon. He was engaged in repairing fence and he was badly injured. He succeeded in reaching the house only after a long time and he was partially paralyzed and unable to talk but little. A cow, standing near the fence, was killed and was found near the spot where Mr. Davis was struck. Mr. Davis is recovering.

L. H. Johnson of Ninevah Junction, poured the contents of a giant cracker that had failed to explode into a small cannon and proceeded to ram the charge down by tapping the ramrod with an axe. The stuff proved to be partly dynamite and Johnson was terribly injured by the explosion that followed. One eye may be lost.


The Awful Havoc Wrought by Run in One Family.

Luke Butler, the wooden leg man from Hurleyville, was arrested in Middletown and sent to the lock-up for intoxication of Friday morning last. He was fined $3 and he paid it. He continued to throw in various drinks until in the evening when he was again arrested and fined $10 or 30 days in jail. He had $13 left after paying fine in the morning, but night found him but with sixty cents. He couldn't pay his fine and taken down to Goshen.

In 1885 Butler's two brothers, Robert and Henry, got into a quarrel while both were drunk. Robert killed Henry and was sent to the penitentiary where he remained eight years and was then pardoned. Luke, the one legged brother, lost his leg by being run over by the cars when drunk. Verily, run has been a terrible scourge to this family.


A Man Named Woodhouse Seriously Injured.

William Woodhouse and a companion named Elmendorf, met with a serious accident last evening. While driving in the village the horse got beyond control and while coming down the West End hill, collided with a tree, which threw both men out. Woodhouse was injured seriously. His companion sustained severe injuries. Woodhouse resides on a farm near town and very seldom comes to town unless he drives a cow, which he has trained to harness. Last evening was an exception. Woodhouse suffered severely from the shock and continued to vomit blood for some house. - Stamford cor.



Two Drunken Tramps Engage in a Fight in Classic Delhi

A mix up between two tramps occurred early yesterday, Monday, in the door yard of Dr. Phyfe on Main street. The belligerents were both too intoxicated to be very dangerous. One of them complained that he had lost some money, with the other took as a reflection on his character. Sheriff Smith was called by telephone and went down and gathered them in. Before Justice Hewitt they gave their names as Dan Sullivan of Binghamton and James Clark of Shinhopple. The Justice being in an amiable mood, imposed a light penalty, sentencing them to jail until after dinner to give them a chance to sober up. - Delhi Ex.

Lightening's Play

An East Meredith correspondent writes: During a storm early one morning some two weeks ago, lightening struck the telephone wire between H. B. Perris' and August Schmidt's places. Six or more trees and several poles show marks of it, and fifty feet of wire either melted or thrown where it had not been found. Henry Parris' phone was torn open, Joseph Smith's was injured, also James Johnson's and Will Mitchell's. The aermotor tower at Mert Figger's barn was struck and the galvanizing material melted, as if some one had been over it with a soldering iron.


Fresh Grist of Happenings Condensed - Personals

Harry Hoag was in Hancock the first of the week on a visit, making the journey there on his wheel.

W. F. White of Walton and A. P. Williams of Sidney were among the visitors in town last week.

C. C. Tobey and T. Guild of Walton were recent callers here.

H. V. G. White of Port Jervis made friends here a short visit Saturday.

Wm. E. Blair and lady of Union Grove called on friends in this place last Friday.

Many in this section who have dug a few potatoes for the table claim that the tubers are quite badly damaged by some kind of a worm. The wise ones claim the damage is done by angleworms. But other residents assert that all patches are not infested.

Mrs. H. Williams of Walton was a visitor here the first of the week.

Mitchell Stadel of Horton was in town Thursday with a load of honey, which he disposed of in quick time. Mr. Stadel understands bee culture in all its branches and his success as an apiarist has been marked. His colonies will yield over a ton of honey this season. The product is bringing 10 cents per lb. In the local markets, but prices will be lower before fall, as this has been an unusually good bee year.


A Delhi Man tries to Stop Them and Is Injured

Wednesday afternoon Prof. Holmes' team escaped from him at the Post Office and ran down Main St. Seeing them coming, J. D. Schlafer undertook to stop them, but was run into and thrown to the ground with such force as to stun him for a short time, reviving soon after being picked up and carried into his barber shop in the basement of Bell's Brick Block. The horses continued down the street, becoming separated at Cormack's corner, by running astride of a tree, one taking the sidewalk and the other the street, both turning into Kingston's Hotel barn, where they were secured, not seriously damaged. - Delhi Rep.


An Arena Man Victimized at the Tournament in Oneonta

Alexander White of Arena came to Oneonta yesterday, bringing about $50 and intended, after seeing the fireman's parade, to purchase material. While waiting in the crowd on Main Street for the appearance of the parade he discovered that his pocketbook had been lifted from his hip pocket. He followed a young fellow he saw hastening through the crowd and stopped him. The fellow said he was innocent, confessed a willingness to be searched and was not detained. So far as the Star can learn no trace of the book has been found. It contained his pension check for $11.13 and $40 in money, besides papers of value only to himself. - Oneonta Star.

Where Rattlesnakes Are Found

Last week a rattlesnake was killed on the north side of the west branch of the Delaware river. Rattlesnakes have been found on the south side of the west branch. A great many have been killed in the vicinity of Rood's Creek and below there towards Hancock. A few stragglers have been captured on the road from Deposit to Hale Eddy and up the Whitaker creek. A few years ago D. Vernold caught one near Laurel Bank cemetery. One was killed on the John Briggs farm a year or two ago. But the first one to be killed on the north side, known to the writer, was captured by Archie Faulkner, last week, mowing out a swale on his father's farm, known as the Geo. Burrows flat. The snake was about 3 and one-half feet in length and had eight rattles. - Deposit Courier.


The Varied Experience of Harriet Wood of Walton.

Overseer of the Poor Beagle of Walton brought Harriet Wood, who has long lived in Marvin Hollow, to the poor house Tuesday. Mrs. Wood, who was formerly Harriet Robinson, has had a varied experience in the field of romance and has been several times wedded. Her last venture was with Dallas Wood, one of Walton's most conspicuous ne'er-do-wells, but as "Hat's" charms were insufficient to hold him she soon found herself cast adrift with about half a century of life behind her. Relatives were willing to care for and give her a home, but she preferred a life of squalor and want and had for years fought the proposition to take up a residence at the county farm. Her arrival on Tuesday was the result of a determination on the part of Overseer Beagle to place her where she will be properly cared for.

Quite Badly Injured

Last week Wednesday George O. Waterman, of Meredith, while at work in his barn was quite severely injured. He was on the barn floor at the time beside a load of hay, and one of the men was on the load handling a heavy piece of timber. The stick eluded his grasp in some manner and descending struck Waterman on the head, however striking the rigging of the wagon first, breaking the force of the blow. A deep gash was cut in his head which required four stitches to close. Had the timber fell on Mr; Waterman direct the result would have been serious indeed.



Late Happenings Gleaned During the Past Week

J. H. Jenkins and E. F. Tompkins were in Livingston Manor a few days ago and each purchased a horse.

W. E. Blair and Miss Josie Franks were at Downsville last Friday on a pleasure trip.

Miss Bertha Jenkins of Fleischmanns is visiting at J. W. Keator's.

Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Gibbs and daughter of Andes, Mrs. C. Hull, daughter and son of Brooklyn visited at Mrs. F. C. Reside's on Tuesday of last week.

Will McCadden of Margaretville was a caller here a few days ago.

S. H. Mason and L. R. Jenkins were in Bovina on Tuesday, the 6th.

Sun Bros. Circus will be at Margaretville the 12th. This place was billed by a representative last week.


A. B. McCune intends to build a silo this fall and O. D. Smith is talking of putting up another one - both of the round kind.

Prosperity has struck neighbor O. D. Smith of Tremperskill. He has purchased a gasolene engine to run his ensilage cutter.\

The Perch Lake telephone line is appreciated by patrons. Concerts by wire are frequent. The rate for messages is ten cents.

 Life at Fish's Eddy

Is it in the air? Or has the intense heat any influence on the morals of the people, that it tends to disintegrate the bands of matrimony to an alarming extent in this neighborhood. Within a very short time past there has been separations in four different families, but the generating influence in some of the cases may be traced to the dancing pit. - Fish's Eddy cor.



The Round of Life in a Thriving and Busy Community.

Ernest Houck and wife have removed to Oneonta, where he has employment in the car shops.

Mrs. Frank Leroy and Mr. Cole of Gee Brook are suffering from injuries sustained by blows rendered by an club in the hands of Frank Kneer, Saturday last, as a result of a family quarrel. Mrs. Leroy, the physician says, may have a fractured skull, and Mr. Cole lies in a semi conscious condition.

Mr. and Mrs. Hallock have seven boarders at present.

Leon Baxter, son of Charles Baxter is attending the Pan-American at Buffalo, and will return in about two weeks.

Francis H. Williams is at present at Warren Williams's, Downsville.

There was a pleasant family gathering at the home of Amaziah Williams, Aug. 1st, the occasion being in honor of his 70th birthday. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bogart and Warren Williams of Downsville, and Monroe Williams and wife were out-of-town guests.

Mr. and Mrs. Albert Hodge of Rockland were guests of Jerome Bolton last week.

Charles Howard and wife of Pinesville were recent guests of Mrs. Roff.

Rev. J. S. Graham of Falls Village, Conn., was a pleasant caller recently at W. T. Williams and Geo. Leicht's.

Mrs. Bolton, mother of Jerome Bolson, was quite seriously injured as a result of a fall from a wagon en route to Long Flat on a fishing excursion, with friends. The board which was used for a seat broke, letting her fall back ward to the ground, and the hind wheel of the wagon passed partly over her breast. She was taken back to her home and is now nearly recovered.

There Are Yet Obstacles

The subscriptions to the fund to secure rights of way for the Monticello-Fallsburgh electric road now amount of $3,550, officers of the company having subscribed $300. It is feared, however, that this sum will not be sufficient to meet the demands of certain land owners who think that by holding out they can get their own price. In come cases it is probable that application will be made to the courts to appoint commissioners to assess the damages.

The Wood Acid Business

Overproduction is playing havoc with the profits of the wood acid business. So many new factories have been started that the market is overstocked with acetate and at a meeting of manufacturers recently held the price was cut from $1.50 to $1.25 per hundred pounds. Not many years ago acetate sold readily for $5 a hundred. Pennsylvania is now the great acid producing State.


That Was the Result of the Ball Game at Roscoe Friday.

The Downsville baseball club was defeated by the Roscoe team on the grounds of the latter on Friday of last week. 'Twas a sort of surprise, to be sure, although the score was close - 10 to 11. Of course we had an idea when we journeyed over the divide that we'd win - easily, perhaps, but 'twas Friday, you know, and the Fates were unkind. Then, too, every Downsville lad acted as if the result of the game were a foregone conclusion, but it wasn't - not by any means. The end of the 11th inning saw Roscoe victorious, and as the smoke of battle lifted several veterans who have pinned their faith to the Roscoe organization for years - who were at Livingston Manor and looked upon that carnage - exclaimed, "You've don't it at last boys; haven't you?" After the game the manager of the Downsville club - and he's not noted as a vocalist, you know - sang these verses, with a husky voice, as he journeyed homeward, while, as if in mockery, the soft, mellow light of the rising moon illumined the picturesque mountain ranges:

We had a warning of this fateful day, But yet we thought that we would win the fray.

Defeat, dear boys, is not a pleasant thing; It lacks the tickling, heart-inspiring ring.

The day will come, my men, when you will see That fate will smile and give no hard decree.

The Manor tragedy will be acted o'er - Your name will be just as it was before.

To lay aside all burnishing and glossing, the Downsville boys lost on Friday last because they could not bat. Either pitcher Tuttle has thrown off his nightmare of last season, or Downsville has lost the art of wielding the ash. But, then, Roscoe did little batting, and what little was done by them is chargeable to the professional player who is "visiting" in this section. Pitcher Scott did fine work and H. Whitney supported him almost faultlessly behind the bat. France Eschbach entered the pitcher's box at the beginning of the ninth and did nice work, but the clumsy fielding of the team, together with umpire Curry's abominable rulings, made a victory impossible. Nearly every run obtained by both sides was the result of some ludicrous fielding error - some incomprehensible muff or some inexcusable throw. The contest had no interesting features - unless errors be interesting - up to the last half of the ninth, when the score was tied by Roscoe. Then ensued a little excitement, but the Downsville boys seemed to be blind at the bat, and in the second half of the eleventh inning Roscoe scored the winning run.

A large number of city people were present, and they cheered for Roscoe. One crowd actually had the effrontery to sing as we left:

It was the wile of Tuttle's arm That did your Downsville club such harm.

We'll meet again your famous nine, So be prepared and don't repine.

Yes, Roscoe; we'll see you again.

 Made $500 on a $10 Investment

A. S. Day, a native of the town of Davenport, now of Hamilton, Texas, resides about 80 miles from the heart of the oil fields and visited the same as soon as the strike was made. He had $500 in his pocket but caution controlled him and he invested $10. He recently sold his interest for $500. It is safe to say, however, that he would not recommend, notwithstanding his large profit, others investing in any of the oil companies now so extensively organized in California and Texas.


M. Arbuckle Becomes Proprietor of That Popular House.

Marshall Arbuckle has bought of the Calvin B. Griffis estate the Edgerton House. Consideration, $16,000. Immediate possession given.

Mr. Arbuckle has conducted this popular hostelry for several years and has kept its well established reputation fully up to its high standard. Recently its register was filled, showing that a book of 400 pages at an average of 25 per page had been filled since May 15, 1900. This for fourteen and one-half months, makes a total of nearly 10,000 people who have in that period registered as guests of the house. The many patrons will be glad to know that Mr. and Mrs. Arbuckle are to become permanently identified with the property that they have so successfully conducted. - Delhi Gazette.

Killed Wildcat With His Boot.

The Grand Gorge Gazette of Saturday says: Harry R. Casey, popularly known as the Grand Gorge comedian, while hunting woodchucks on Irishman's mountain, was suddenly confronted by a monstrous wildcat. His ammunition was exhausted and his trusty poinard had been left at home. Quickly his hairy foe approached, when with startling presence of mind "Dashing Harry" removed his number nine boot and awaited the onslaught. The rest is soon told. Although much lacerated about the face and body, Casey rapidly dispatched his hungry assailant. The cat is to be stuffed and will be placed on exhibition at Murphy's hotel.

Result of a Drunken Sleep

"Tiny" Benjamin, a well known Stamford character, while in an intoxicated condition, went into M. S. Wood's livery barn early Sunday morning to pass the remainder of the night on a hay mow. He went to sleep near the edge of the mow, and in his slumbers rolled off, striking the bare floor below. Barn employes found him Sunday morning in an unconscious condition and summoned medical aid. He was severely bruised about the face and head, and also received a broken collar bone. - Mirror.


Items of Interest Gleaned During the Week - Personal Notes

Rev. J. D. Belknap and wife of Syracuse are visiting at Mrs. Ada Frazier's.

John Chalmers of Hamden called on friends in town Monday.

J. H. Bull of Colchester had three sheep killed by dogs Tuesday.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Barnhart of Baxter Mt., Aug. 7th, a son.

Alfred Babcock was elected trustee in the Shinhopple dist. Tuesday night.

Charles Eschbach and lady spent Sunday and Monday with friends at Margaretville.

Potatoes in New York Monday were $5 per barrel. A few changed hands here last week for $1 per bushel.

W. G. Wagner, Mrs. Wagner and Jacob Wagner of Rockland were recent callers in town.

Ed. Fuller and wife of Scranton are visiting Mr. Fuller's mother and other relatives in this village.

Miss Jennie Wilson, who has been employed at Hancock for some time, has returned home.

The Downsville tennis club journey to Walton Friday and meet the experts at that place in a game.

T. W. Holmes has been hired to teach the Terry Clove school, town of Hamden, the coming term.

A number of teachers from this section will attend the examinations at Walton this week.

W. M. Gavett and daughter, Miss Laetta, are visiting relatives on the Beaverkill this week.

The members of the Telford Hollow Sunday school held an enjoyable picnic in Dann's grove Wednesday.

There will be no preaching at the methodist church Sunday. Epworth League, Sunday school and Junior League will meet as usual.

Georgie Babcock, whose injuries were spoken of in a recent issue, is gaining slowly, with good care, and will be able to be out again in several weeks.

W. W. Golden and wife leave next week for Buffalo to attend the Pan American. Mr. Golden goes as a delegate of the Red Man lodge here.

Lou Sherwood gave the drama, "The Deacon" at Unadilla on Thursday and Friday, July 25 and 26, and had packed houses each night.

The receipts at the ice cream social held at the residence of Mrs. James betts on Tuesday evening of this week amounted to $12.50.

Mrs. H. H. Hawks, one day last week, had the misfortune to fall and break three of her ribs. At present she is improving nicely.

At the school meeting held in this district Tuesday evening the following officers were elected: Trustee, E. A. Holmes, in place of J. D. Merritt; collector, W. S. Sprague; clerk, F. M. Shaver; librarian, D. W. Clements.

A few copies of the Delhi Fair Book for 1901 have been left at the News office for distribution. Call and get one. The Delhi fair officials pay big premiums this year. For instance "Best herd Jerseys, $25; best stallion, $15; best collection vegetables, $5," and so on down through the list. It will pay you to take your exhibits to this fair.

Lester Miller met a black bear and two cubs in the road just below P. L. Purdy's house on Tuesday evening of this week. The animal said "Woof" by way of introduction, but Miller did not wait to hear any further remarks. It wasn't a great while ago that Geo. Shaw encountered a bear in the Telford Hollow road.

The Shinhopple bridge project, which was voted upon at the last town meeting, seems to have died a sudden death, and even the inhabitants of that place have begun to despair.

The teachers who have been attending F. M. Shaver's summer school held an enjoyable picnic in Warren's grove last Saturday afternoon. It was a pleasant affair in every sense.

The Margaretville Fair is first on the list. The dates are Aug. 20, 21, 22. It is one of the best agricultural exhibitions in this section of the state. Our thanks are due for comp. tickets.

W. E. Holmes' Sons & Co. have a new advertisement this week.

Lynn Dodge of Rockland was a caller in Downsville Wednesday.

Teachers are now hustling for schools but few have hired out as we go to press. It is stated that the number of available teachers in this vicinity is not as large as last year - in other words, there's a scarcity.

Notice if hereby given that the annual meeting of the Gregorytown Cemetery Society will be held at said cemetery Aug. 20 at 10:30, for the purpose of electing trustees and transacting other business. All interested should be present. - T. D. Gregory, Clerk.

A letter has been received from Reuben Elmore, who has been in a county house in Pennsylvania for three years, by friends here. Mr. Elmore is ill with consumption. His friends in this place sympathize with him in his misfortune and changed conditions.

Joseph Rosenfeld and sister, Miss Grace, of Walton are visiting relatives in Downsville.

Daniel Budine and father have rented rooms in one of the Holmes tenant houses on Bark street.

Alfred Youngs was elected trustee in the Colchester dist. Tuesday night.

It is expected that the Roscoe and Downsville clubs will be the participants in an interesting game of ball at this place one week from the coming Friday.

The condition of Mrs. May Young, who some time ago was prostrated by the heat, is not very encouraging. Her improvement is not rapid and doubts are entertained of her recovery.

Mrs. C. R. Gladstone and children of Shavertown are visiting relatives in this village.

Secured a Patent

C. W. Colwell of Delhi, has secured a patent on an ingenious device for preventing cows from switching their tails while being milked. It is easily applied and removed, is effective and causes no distress to the animals while in position, overcoming objectionable features of other inventions.

A Lucky Find

William Harris of Franklin, uncovered a can of honey in his garden the other day, and it was found to contain $1,200. It is thought his father buried it twenty years ago. - Ex.


What Our Correspondent Finds Worthy of Mention.

Alex. Jackson of Matteawan, Dutchess Co. is visiting at Helen M. Lewis's.

John Hood and daughter Lena went to Pinesville last Friday to visit his mother. She came home with him; also two nephews.

Mrs. E. B. Greeman of Deposit and Mrs. J. M. Garlow of Sherman, Pa., are spending a few days with Helen M. Lewis and other friends.

Miss Mamie Sutton and Mr. Jackson called on Downsville friends Saturday.

O. P. Sutton has no city boarders at present. The last one was called home by sickness.

T. Hendricks, who recently had a shock, is improving slowly.

Augustus Ingram is preparing to build quite an addition to his house.

Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Nichols of Hancock called on friends here Sunday.

A narrow Escape

Emory Evans of Davenport was struck by an engine, near the Delaware and Hudson depot, Saturday evening , and escaped more fortunately than is usual in railroad accidents. Mr. Evans came to Oneonta on the Ulster and Delaware and started down the tracks toward the Delaware and Hudson depot, walking between the two main tracks. At the water crane No. 9's engine, which had put away its train, hit him, the beam on the pilot striking his right hip and side. A number of persons about the depot witnessed the accident and feared the man would be seriously hurt. He was lifted to a truck and a rig called to take him to the home of George M. Bowdish on the South Side. Dr. Denny saw him at that place and found one rib broken. - Oneonta Star.

A Good Yield

From one hive of bees T. S. Miller has so far this season taken 51 pounds of fine section honey and 28 pounds more will be ready to take off this week. - Andes Recorder.

A Serious Accident.

Robert Wilder and D. F. Elmendorf, who reside near Stamford, met with a serious runaway accident on Wednesday evening, while emerging from the driveway at Westholm. It is supposed that the harness broke, frightening the horse, which ran wildly down the hill. The animal made a sudden turn at the corner of Moffatt's store, which brought the wagon into collision with a tree, and threw both men out. Elmendorf escaped with a few cuts and bruises and a sprained ankle, but Wilder was seriously injured and suffered a severe shock.

Damage by Storm.

The storm on Monday afternoon was very severe in this section. Much damage was done in parts of Kortright and Betta's Brook. J. S. Kerr's barn was struck by lightning, also a tree standing near his wagon house. Part of the roofs of William Shaver's, also J. S. Dyer's barns, were carried away by the heavy wind. Lightning rods were broken and bent, and many trees were blown down besides considerable other damage. - North Kortright cor.

Fire in Walton

Fire broke out in the house occupied by a son-in-law of Policeman Reed, in Walton village, on Sunday night of this week and in a short time the structure was consumed. Nothing was saved except one bed and a table. A lamp exploded in the house Friday night and it is thought that the woodwork caught and smouldered until Sunday night. The building was formerly owned by the Harby's.

Elopers Captured

Frank Tucci and Theresa Pitrongeio, the former a man of 26 and the latter a girl of 13, both Italians, residing in Rome, N. Y., eloped and came to Sidney a few days ago and stopped at the Delaware house in that village for several days, claiming they were married. From Sidney they went to Cobleskill and Tucci was arrested there on a charge of abduction. The girl is described as very pretty.

Took the Latter.

George Sprague, a farm hand, was picked up Tuesday evening and arraigned before Justice Hewitt Wednesday morning, who leniently gave him his choice of paying $8 or boarding at the expense of the county for eight days. He started on the latter proposition. - Delhi Rep.

Progress in Meredith

Orlando R. Munson, one of Meredith's successful farmers is making preparations for putting in a dynamo for the purpose of lighting his building with electric light, the same is to be run by water power. Progress is the watchword in Meredith.

Advertisers included C. E. Hulbert, Downsville and Shavertown (department store and patent medicines); C. W. Hulbert, Hamden; W. E. Holmes' Sons & Co. (department store and patent medicines); Holmes Milling Co.; Jos. Schaufler (blacksmithing); W. R. Wright (tinware, glassware and barbering); A. L. Hyzer, (Dentist); R. Babcock (store, tobacco shop and barber); J. A. Crispell (wagons & sleighs); H. A. Wilson (furniture & undertaking); Nettie Dibble (baked goods); The First National Bank of Walton, Geo. O. Mead President, Samuel H. Fancher Vice President, John Olmstead Cashier; A. J. Wilson, Postmaster.

There were Notices to Creditors for settlement of estates as follows:

Parker H. Sprague, deceased; Robert Brittain, Executor; F. S. Hartman, Attorney for Executor.

Enoch Young, deceased; Irving R. Youngs, Executor; F. W. Hartman, Attorney for Executor.

James R. Clapperton, deceased; Charles E. Hulbert, Executor; F. W. Hartman, Attorney for Executor.

Otto L. A. Haennings, deceased; H. H. Hawks, Administrator; Williams & Conlon, Attorneys.

John Baxter, deceased; C. R. Baxter, Wm. H. Baxter, Ward J. Baxter, Executors; F. W. Hartman, Attorney for Executors.

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger