Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

Robert Avery Robinson of Stamford, NY and Winchendon, MA

submitted to the website Jul 27, 2015 by Karen Cuccinello

R. Avery or just Avery Robinson was a bit trick to research as there were two Avery Robinsons in the area during the same time period. Robert Avery was in Stamford and Charles Avery was in Hyndsville, NY. They both, interestingly enough, used their middle name of Avery.

Robert Avery Robinson was born July 28, 1906 in Winchendon, MA to Byron W. and Eliza Belle (Young). Byron was a native of Worcester, NY. Avery was first married to Dorothy Stevens in 1936 and had a son Robert Jr. and then shortly afterward divorced. His second marriage was to Winnie Mary Walther Coleman, a widow, on September 10, 1947 in TX. Avery met Winnie while he was in the service (1943- 1947) and stationed in TX. He had one older sister Anna June who lived most of her life in Winchendon, MA and married Ray Broadhurst, in 1951, when she was 50 years old.

Avery died in 1983 and Winnie in 1996, both are buried in the Stamford Cemetery (posted on

1936 - Hastings On the Hudson News (Westchester County, NY) - Announcements have been received by a number of Hastingites of the wedding of Mr. Robert Avery Robinson, formerly of Hastings, and recently of Winchendon, Mass., and Miss Dorothy Marie Stevens, daughter of Mr, and Mrs. Harold Stevens of Bridgeport, Conn. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson will make their home in Bridgeport, where Mr. Robinson is associated with the General Electric Company.

July 6,1939 Hastings On the Hudson News - Miss Bernice Shirley is visiting her cousins, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Avery Robinson, at their home in Little Neck, Long Island.

August 25,1944 Otsego Farmer – Worcester- Mr, and Mrs. Samuel Robinson, Stamford, Mr. and Mrs. Byron Robinson, Miss Anne Robinson, Winchendon, Mass. and Avery Robinson, U. S. A., San Antonio, Tex., were calling on friends in town.

1947- Avery and his brand new wife moved to his uncle Samuel's residence at 46 Main St. Stamford (Samuel gave his home to Avery and Winnie) after he had a stroke. Samuel, who had become quite wealthy, died a bit more than a year after their arrival, he was childless. Samuels last will and testament requested that a sizeable portion of the Robinson family assets be used to set up a charitable foundation, thus the Robinson-Broadhurst Foundation was born.

1953- 16th Annual Stamford Golf Club Invitational Tourney -The committee comprises W. J. Murphy, Richard Demarest, Avery Robinson, Karl Reynard, Dr. Simon P. Dansky and Jack Maxwell, club pro.

1954 – Avery was an area Leader for the Delhi Chapter of the American Red Cross.

January 9,1959 Catskill Mt News (CMN)- A gift of $13,800 on New Years gave the Stamford hospital building committee a major shot in the arm. A gift from Avery Robinson was 25 shares of International Business Machines (IBM) stock. Value of the stock that day was $552 per share. Robinson is president of the Bathgate hospital board, also a member of the board of directors of the National Bank of Stamford and president of the Stamford Golf Club. He is a veteran of WWII and a member of Utsayantha post 6292, American Legion, Stamford Fire Department, Hobart Masonic Lodge F&AM and the Cyrpus Temple of Shriners in Albany.

March 24,1961 (CMN)-... In the most spirited contest R. Avery Robnson defeated incumbent Police Justice Elias Jacobs for Stamford Village Police Justice 454-83. Mr. Jacobs had sought to have his opponents name deleted from the ballot as a candidate of the Democratic and Square Deal parties.

1961- He and Fred P. Murphy donated monies to renovate the Library and Churchill gym. July 1962- The Conservation Departments Region 7, which includes Albany County, will get a new headquarters in Stamford. It will be a gift from F.P. Murphy of the Murphy Foundation Inc. and R. Avery Robinson both of Stamford.... The building cost $250,000.

1962 - R. Avery Robinson of Stamford, is president of The Community Hospital of Stamford Board of Directors.

1962- Avery opened his ski area, Scotch Valley, and ran it until 1981. It was a joint venture at first with Fred Murphy then Avery kept the ski area running on his own. The ski area only made a profit one season.

October 4, 1983 Stamford Mirror-Recorder- (excerpts from his obituary not mentioned above)- R. Avery Robinson, Stamford philanthropist, industrialist and businessman, died at the age of 77. An early supporter and investor in Audiosears Corp. Restored the Robinson family farm on South Hill (Worcester). Graduate of Norwich University, class of 1929. Member of the Stamford Rotary, strong supporter of the Boy and Girl Scouts and member of the Stamford Presbyterian Church.. Survived by his wife; a son Robert of Tuscon, AZ, sister and two grandsons. Contributions to be made to the R.A. Robinson Emergency Squad or Community Hospital.

4/27/1894 (OF) Byron Robinson, late of Fergusonville, will soon place a jewelry counter in Adams's drug store.

1/28/1898 OF- Worcster- Byron W. Robinson was Town Clerk of Worcester (also 1896)

3/31/1905 (OF) Worcester- Byron Robinson ft Winehendon. Mass., and S.C. Of Stamford were here to attend the funeral of their father Samuel C. Robinson. Byron was recently a business man at Worcester, being In the jewelry business. He is coming on in his profession with good success.

1930 Census Winchenson, Worchester County MA, Byron W. age 65, Eliza B. 57m dau. Anna J. 28, occ. Optomitrist

1940 census also MA He ,E.Belle wife, dau Anna J. 38and lodger Raymond Broadhurst 45 of CT

1920 census AM with wife, Dau Anna 18 and son Avery R. 13

1910 Census MA- Robert A. 3

1880 census Worcester, NY Samuel C 47, Lucy 38, Mary 19, Anna 17 , Byron 15, Clarence 13, Robert H. 20, Samuel 4, Stewart 11 all children

1874 census WorcesterNY

reference-The Robinson-Broadhurst Story by the Foundation

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger