catbar

Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager


The following is a part of a collection of articles written by Karen Cuccinello of the Stamford Village library history room, mostly pertaining to Stamford, and originally submitted to the Mt. Eagle. We are pleased to share them here with all our Delaware County researchers.


59th Anniversary of the revitalized Stamford Fireman’s Bugle and Drum Corps


The following brief history of the Corps is derived from a minutes book dating from 1953-1961 that are currently housed at the Stamford Village Library.


There is no date on the formation meeting but the first business meeting was December 23, 1953. The first officers were Laford “Stout” Stoutenburg chairman, Robert Gregory secretary, Clifford Mattice treasurer and Guy Benjamin instructor. The first equipment purchase was made in January 1954 and ordered from K and K Musical Instrument Co. Inc. of NYC. The order included six parade drums $135.00, two bass drums $85.00, two bass drum harness’ $3.00 and two bass drum sticks $2.70. Four more parade drums, one parade sling and six drum books were purchased in March, total cost $94.00. Mrs. Traxler and Fred Traxler donated $16.95 to the corps for the purchase of 18 red ties and 16 pins.

The following were in custody of drums in 1954: Laford Stoutenberg, Robert Gregory, Howard Raynor, Guy Benjamin, Gid? Wickham, Walter Cornell (bass), Hilbert Ballard (bass) and Cliff Mattice. The following were in custody of a bugle: George Simonson and Cliff Mattice. They performed in seven parades in 1954: Grand Gorge, Schenevus, Unadilla, Walton, Deposit, Cobleskill and Stamford, and it looks like the won monetary awards at most of the parades.

After 1954 the meetings appeared to be held only annually in the spring. The minutes are very brief. Besides elections or purchasing equipment the only other topic was to have their annual supper/banquet at the Boat House. “Stout” remained president until 1959 when Alton “Dutch” Laux Jr. took over followed by Robert Gregory then Aaron Armstrong in 1961. I found a few articles in some Stamford Mirror newspapers dated 1877 talking about the Stamford Drum Corps and or Fife and Drum Corps, so other forms of the corps have been around for a while.

Karen Cuccinello


submitted by Karen Cuccinello - posted to this website February 4, 2015

BACK TO INDEX TO ARTICLES

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger