Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

This article was found in a Hobart High School Yearbook, 1923-1924.
It tells a little of the history of Hobart, NY and of the school and its history. - Richard Nesbitt, May 20, 2000


The first settlers came here before the Revolution but returned to their former homes during the war. Soon after peace was declared, the falls at this time, as a means of waterpower, attracted settlers, and soon the hum of machinery was heard. The earliest name of record is Waterville, by which it was called earlier than 1790. In 1828 this was ordered changed by the Post Office authorities, there being another and larger Waterville in the state. The leading citizens of the village at the suggestion of Rev. Philander Chase, rector of St. Peter's, then decided to confer upon it the name of the good Bishop Hobart, whom they all loved-and so it remains to this day, and will remain.

Hobart has always excelled in its attention to the education of the young. The first recorded school in the village was widely known as Waterville Academy and was situated on the present site of the Locust Hill Cemetery. It became very efficient under the management of Mr. Kingsley. The building, the second story of which was used as a Masonic Hall, was erected in 1805 and was burned in 1816. One old school building still remains, though removed from the original site. It is now the cottage on Maple Avenue, belonging to Mrs. E. G. Hanford. Formerly it stood on Church Hill and was occupied by the Masons. As Hobart Seminary this school gave the advantages of education to many of the youths and maidens of earlier days. In 1845 a building known as Hobart Academy was erected on Church Hill for Frederick Hanford. This building became a flourishing school of 100 people. The building, since removed, has been used as a blacksmith shop and later as a dwelling and is now owned by B. G. Post. It is an interesting fact that here Jay Gould, then a poor boy, received his education, WORKING his way by bookkeeping. There is also remembered a private school kept by Miss H. E. Rollins 45 years ago. This school was held in the building now owned by Mrs. J. B. Borst.

Then a new building was erected in 1887 and in 1892 the institution was made a Union Free School. The Academic Department was admitted in 1893 to the University of the State of New York.

The rapid growth following these changes necessitated more room and in 1894 the building was remodeled, enlarged and fitted with modern improvements and in 1897 the Regents of the State of New York granted it the title of Hobart High School.

On account of the progress both in numbers of scholars and the quality of work it had to do it was found necessary to construct a new building. In 1914, the old High School building was condemned by the State Department of Education and finally in the summer of 1921 a new school building, modern in every way, was constructed at a cost of nearly $50,000. It contains a large auditorium, a spacious study hall for the academic department with large class recitation rooms. There are adequate rooms for the grade departments, together with a well equipped laboratory, library, principal's office and teacher's room. The auditorium is so arranged that it may also be used as a basketball court and gymnasium. During the past years the school has been making rapid progress along substantial lines. The policy of higher education has always been fostered by the people of Hobart. The students who have gone forth from the halls of Hobart High School we find are fulfilling successful lives in the various professions and our graduates are scattered through-out our state as well as in many states in the Union. Hobart graduates make good.

Picture of the Hobart High School, 1887 to 1921. - submitted by Richard Nesbitt
1932-34 Hobart Basketball Team - submitted by Floyd Howard

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger