TEEDVILLE WAS A BOOMING SAWMILL TOWN IN EARLY DELAWARE COUNTY, NEW YORK STATE
(Highlights gleaned from the second edition of the "The TEED Family Tree" edited by Sally Teed Foust)
submitted by R. M. "Rik" Teed, August 23, 2000
The article was taken from the book "Recollections - Town of Tompkins" published by the town board in 1983. Originally written for the Bicentennial in 1976, it was co-authored by Ralph G. Clark and Bruce Teed Sherwood. Both now deceased, Ralph was the Town Histoian at the time.
Teedville had it beginings in 1788 when Samuel Teed purchased the first lots of the old "Rapalje Patent". The Rapalje's being Tories had their land
confiscated by the new Republic in 1784 and title passed to William Banyar an attorney in Albany and a political power in the Federalist oligarchy of
Post-Revolutionary New York. The patent was surveyed by James Cockburn in 1775. Samuel Teed bought the land from the Massonville line on the North, south to the present village of Trout Creek, he; his wife and their 4 sons came there in the Spring of 1788 to prepare the land for settlement. In the winter
they returned to Mrs. Teed's family home in Schenectady and returned and made permanent settlement in the Spring of 1789.