catbar

Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager



A Brief History of Hamden

Prior to the date of 1797, the territory occupied by the present-day town of Hamden was contained in the counties of Otsego and Ulster. From 1798-1825, most of the land was included in the town of Delhi and some in Walton. Increases in population around 1825 led to the formation of Hamden. On April 5, 1825, legislature was passed stating that portions of Delhi and Walton would combine on March 1, 1825 to form the new town. Hamden became the 17th town of Delaware County. It consists of 53 square miles and contains 1/26 of the area of the county.

The earliest known settler in Hamden was David Harrrower. He came from the east with his wife and two sons, David and Dugal, in the summer of 1779. Harrower eventually built a cabin and constructed a farm on a knoll near the Delaware River. In 1792, Harrower obtained the title to his land, which contained about 950 acres. The house on the property was known for many years as the "Harrower Mansion" and in 1890, was razed. David Harrower, Jr. grew up to become pastor of the first church in Walton and Dugal lived in town until his death in 1842. Harrower himself passed away shortly after the War of 1812.

Written by Jill Lehmann, daughter of Town Historian of Hamden - March 18, 1997



Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger