Most of the soldiers who died in South Carolina during the war are buried here; color photographs depict this beautiful cemetery.
Related Sites of Historical Interest to Visit Near Honey Hill Excavations at Charlesfort Beaufort Stoney Creek earthworks Stoney Creek Cemetery Old House and Bolan Church Euhaw Church grounds Church of the Holy Trinity, Grahamville Gillisonville Baptist Church
Old Sheldon Church Sheldon Chapel at McPhersonville Chapel of Ease on St. Helena Island McPhersonville
Dr. DePrater's excavation on Parris Island, c. 1562, and Santa Elena Stanlet South excavation on Parris Island, c. 1566. Both sites are located on a golf course and are open to public.
The Beaufort Museum has some Civil War items and should be visited because of the arsenal building itself. It was originally built in 1795 on the site of Beaufort's first court house. The Beaufort Volunteer Artillery was organized here in April 1775 and was the fifth military unit established in the United States.
The earthworks here, constructed by Robert E. Lee, are now part of the South Carolina Heritage Trust. They can be seen easily from US17/21 but are unmarked, except for conservation easement markers.
Col. C.J. Colcock's grave is located across the highway from the Battery, situated down a road that crosses Stoney creek on a causeway. Go when dry as it can get very muddy.
The Thomas Heyward, Jr. grave is at the junction of SC 462 and SC 333. Heyward was a signer of Declaration of Independence. This is also where Union Troops spent the night before Honey Hill and nursed their wounds afterwards.
The original Euhaw Baptist church was established in 1751 on Edisto Island, moved to a site on the Coosawhatchie to Old House road, then moved again in 1907 to the present building in Grahamville, one block south of Holy Trinity. Claims to be the second oldest Baptist congregation in the United States.
Founded 1830 as parish church of St Peters Parish. The present building was constructed in 1858 and escaped destruction by Sherman's troops, who used it as offices and stables. It is an excellent example of "Board and Batten" Episcopal church construction. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1838 in the Greek Revival Style. Has communion service which is etched "War 1861-2-3-4, Feb 1865, this was done by a Yankee soldier." Gillisonville Baptist is on the National Register of Historic Places.
This is the crown Jewel of the area and was built in 1745 as the church of Prince William Parish. It was burned by the British in May 1779. Rebuilt, it was burned again on January 14, 1865 by troops of General Oliver O. Howard, commanding Sherman's right wing coming out of Beaufort. The walls remain today and it is a spectacular place to visit. It truly is stepping back into the history books. This is a National Register of Historic Places site.
In a village that was leveled by the Union Troops in 1865, the existing structure was rebuilt on the site of the original on 1893. This is a small church structure not in the normal Episcopal style. The chapel was built by Prince William Planters, who resided in the area during the summer months.
It was "on a Sunday morning, November 4, 1861, morning service at St. Helena Island's Chapel of Ease...interrupted by a courier bearing a dispatch...which ..the pastor read...from the pulpit...announced that a great Yankee armada had steamed past Charleston bound for Port Royal." (Tombee by T. Rosengarten 1986). The chapel, like old Sheldon, is now in ruins, burned by a forest fire in 1886.
A pineland village of wealthy planters who spent at least half the year escaping the harsh hot summers at the plantations in the lower swampy area. Behind the Sheldon chapel about 100 yards down a paved road is the Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church. This was built by the planters of the Stoney Creek Cemetery and where once stood a Presbyterian church. (The church at Stoney Creek cemetery was knocked down by Union troops to make shelters.) This original 1833 building was the only structure left standing as the Union used it for a hospital. The Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church is a highlight of the area because of its purity to the 1800s. It has no electricity, water or heat.
Excavations at Charlesfort
Stoney Creek earthworks
Stoney Creek Cemetery
Old House and Bolan Church
Euhaw Church grounds
Church of the Holy Trinity, Grahamville
Gillisonville Baptist Church
Old Sheldon Church
Sheldon Chapel at McPhersonville
Chapel of Ease on St. Helena Island
Detail Provided by William Olendorf
Unauthorized Trespassers Could Be Arrested
Please Do Not Contact the Property Owners!
Doing So Could Jeopardize Future Plans for the Site
Send me an e-mail message: email@example.com
Return to Honey Hill Home Page