On the formation of Delaware county in 1797 Masonville was a part of Franklin, which had been taken from Harpersfield in 1792. It remained a part of Franklin till 1801, when Sidney, including Masonville, was set off from Franklin. The territory remained a part of Sidney till 1811, when it was organized into a town and named Masonville, from the Rev. John M. Mason, who, in right of his wife, Ann, a descendant of General John Bradstreet, was owner of the greater part of the Evan's patent, which is in that town.
Formerly there was a fine growth of splendid pine trees, which were manufactured into boards, drawn to the Delaware and rafted to the Philadelphia market. There seemed to be a fascination among nearly all the early settlers for the lumbering business, which attracted the attention and employed the time and energies of the inhabitants to the exclusion of farming and dairying, to which if the same labor had been given, the wealth of the people would have been vastly increased. The town is situated inland, and does not touch the Susquehanna or the Delaware river.
The Evans patent was surveyed in 1786 by William Cockburn for the proprietors, and was named after Charles John Evans, husband of Agatha Evans, granddaughter of General Bradstreet. More than half of the town is in this patent. The first white settlement on this patent in Masonville was in 1792, six years after the survey. The eastern part of the town includes part of Walton's lower patent, part of the Rapelje and a small portion of the Walton patent.
The Astraguntira and Gannuissa creeks, now known as the Cold Spring brook and Trout creek, and the Monquago (Indian name Tewbeac) rise in this town, and run southerly into the Delaware from the watershed between them and Bennett's creek, which runs northwestward into the Susquehanna, in the town of Bainbridge.
SETTLEMENT OF THE TOWN
In 1792 Cockburn's gore was surveyed and added to the Evans patent, as claimed, and the first settlers in Masonville came the same year and located on the gore. The question is still open whether this part of the gore is in Chenango or Delaware county, though for a long time it has generally been recognized as belonging to Masonville. About the year 1840 some ten or twelve suits in the Supreme Court were commenced against the settlers on the gore by the Bainbridge heirs or claimants to recover possession, but for some reason they were not prosecuted to trial; and now the Martha Bradstreet heirs are bringing suits against occupants, claiming the gore to be in Delaware county.
The State road from Cherry Valley to Jericho (now Bainbridge and Afton) was opened in 1797, when settlers come and located along the road. Among the earlier settlers were Adin and William Wait, Daniel Scranton, Enos Goodman, Justin Nash, Peres Moody and son Moses, Asa Terry, Caleb Monson, Darius Smith, Timothy Eastman, Bernice Hazor, Silvester and Ebenezer Smith, Dr. Pliny Smith and Eli St. John. The Smiths and several of the others were from Massachusetts.
Dr. Eli Emmons taught the first school. Simeon Wells kept the first inn; Fitch & Phelps kept the first store; Joseph Bushnell built the first grist-mill and saw-mill.
The land at first was much of it taken on lease. The first birth in the town was that of Sally, daughter of Daniel Wait, August 10th, 1797, and the first death that of William Wait, the same summer.
Hazor Smith, Ebenezer, Dr. Pliny and Darius Smith settled near the center of the town.
Enos Goodman settled on the gore, on the farm now owned and occupied by William Bixby, Esq., whose father, William, came from Vermont (one of the Vermont sufferers) and first settled on the Stebbins place, two miles east of Masonville post-office, and in 1832 bought and moved on to the gore, as also did Peres Moody and son Moses, and Adin Wait, in 1797.
Silas Kneeland came in 1803 and settled on Beach Hill, where he and some of his descendants still live, one of whom, Levi, is a surveyor.
Collins Brown came about 1800, and settled on the hill about three miles south of Masonville post-office, on the road to Deposit.
His son, Collins, resided first on the old homestead, then, about twenty-five years ago, moved to Sanford, Broome county, and staid some fifteen years, when he returned to Masonville and bought a farm one mile south of the village, where he now resides.
Wearam Willis was also a pioneer. He settled about two miles south of the village of Masonville, on the Delaware road.
He was an intelligent man, and for many years land agent for John M. Mason, and had much to do in relation to the early settlement of the town. (He employed Mr. M.R. Hulce, of Deposit, in 1833, to survey the subdivisions of several of the larger lots of the northern part of the Evans patent.) His sons, George, Joshua, John and Warren, all reside in the town, and all but John on adjoining farms, including the old homestead. Warren represented the county in the Legislature in 1876. He is a lawyer.
Malcom Allen and John McKinnon came early, and settled about two miles west of Masonville post-office.
Lauchlan McQuain, Job and Simeon Elmer and Thomas B. Palmer came in 1810 into the same vicinity. Joseph Bucknal, ---Balcom and Levi Wells, Elijah Whitman and George Claghorn came in the early part of the century.
William Bolt came from Saratoga to Masonville in 1813. He had four sons, John M., Ambrose, Henry and Alpheus. The latter was member of Assembly some years ago, and resides on the old homestead, one mile northeast of the village. One daughter, Melissa, married Dr. Aylesworth, and another daughter died unmarried at thirty-five. John resides at Masonville, Henry in Michigan and Ambrose in Tompkins.
William McCrea, about 1811, came from Saratoga county, N.Y., and settled on a farm in the southerly part of the town. He and his brother, Samuel McCrea, had purchased several large lots of land in the Evans patent, in Masonville and Tompkins. He was an intelligent and good citizen, much esteemed, and was sent to the Legislature in 1829. He belonged to the family of which the celebrated Jane McCrea was a member, whose sad fate awakened a thrill of horror and indignation throughout the colonies in 1777, when she was killed near Fort Edward during Burgoyne's invasion. William S. McCrea died, much lamented, soon after his return from the Legislature. His widow remained on the farm for some years and managed it.
Mrs. McCrea hired one Pangburn and his wife to do the labor. They lived in the mansion house, with the widow. One day, during the oat harvest, Mrs. Pangburn aided in mowing away a load of oats in the loft, pitched to her by her husband from a wagon on the barn floor. Pangburn came to the house and washed his hands at the tank, then returned to the barn and soon came back in haste and reported that his wife lay on the barn floor, dead. It proved true, and it was suspected that he had murdered her. She lay near the door, behind the wagon, and several feet from it. An informal inquest was held, and a majority found that she came to her death at the hands of her husband. Great dissatisfaction and doubt still existing, a coroner, Judge Peter Pine, of Deposit, was called on, and her summoned a jury and surgeon in Tompkins, who repaired to the premises. The body was exhumed and examined. The view of the body and the evidence of the surgeon and other witnesses, and of the barn floor, etc., appeared so conclusive that the jury, without a dissenting voice, returned a verdict that the deceased Mrs. Pangburn came to her death by willful murder by her husband, by three blows on her head made by him with an ironwood flail swingle. The swingle had been found in the weeds near the barn door after the first inquest had been held and the body buried. One of the blows had broken the nose; the end of the club had passed through the eyebrow, and some of the hair was still at the end of it. The other blows were on the top and back of the head, breaking the skull, in both cases in different directions. Pangburn was indicted and tried, and, strangely, was acquitted. Soon after his discharge he went to one of the Western territories, near the Mississippi, and married there. Not long after, his second wife was found dead. He was accused of killing her, tried summarily before "Judge Lynch," condemned, and righteously hung by the people, in accordance with frontier law. His first wife was a reputable, industrious and comely woman, born of German parentage, on the Mohawk.
In 1819 an old man, a resident of Masonville, named Nathan Foster, was tried at Delhi for the murder of his wife by poison. The district attorney was assisted by Martin Van Buren on the part of the people. The prisoner was ably defended by Erastus Root and Samuel Sherwood. The jury found a verdict of willful murder. He was sentenced to be hung, and was executed by Martin Keeler, of Kortright, then sheriff of the county. Gould, in his history of Delaware county, states that "Foster was a Tory during the Revolution, and is reported to have been the identical person who inhumanly murdered Colonel Alden at the massacre of Cherry Valley in 1778. Priest, in his narrative of the capture of David Ogden, deceased, of Franklin, Delaware county, New York, says: "This act of barbarity was perpetrated by a man named Foster, a Tory at that time, and the same who, a few years since (1819), was hanged a Delhi for the murder of his wife by poison, in Delaware county, N.Y.. That the same Foster did murder Colonel Alden was ascertained by a certain James Campbell, another Tory, who stated to David Ogden that he had heard this Foster boast of the act while they were both with the British at Niagara. He was at length overtaken by justice, and ended his miserable life on the gallows." It is proper to state here that Colonel Stone, in his Life of Brant, says that Colonel Alden was killed by an Indian.
Mrs. Martha Bradstreet came to Masonville in 1819, and commenced suits for the recovery of lands in that town and in Tompkins. She had in 1810 and later commenced suits in both town, in which she recovered possession either by compromise or the decision of the courts. She resided in the western part of the town about ten years, when she removed to Herkimer county, and later to Barnettsville, in Bainbridge, Chenango county, where she died in 1873, aged ninety-three, at the house of her son Edward L. Bradstreet. Since her death her children and grand-children have prosecuted a great number of persons to recover possession of their premises. Several of these farms had been sold and deeded by Mrs. Bradstreet; but the heirs, ignoring their mother's acts, claim under a deed of trust executed by her and her husband in 18087, but not recorded in Delaware county till 1859.
CIVIL HISTORY AND STATISTICS
The following have been sent to the Legislature from Masonville: William S. McCrea, Seymour Smith, George H. Windsor, Alpheus Bolt (twice), Warren G. Willis.
The following have been supervisors: 1812, 1814-16, 1820-23, 1825-27, 1840, 1841, Warren Willis; 1813, 1824, William S. McCrea; 1817-19, 1842, Pliny Smith; 1828-30, 1833, 1834, Sylvester Smith; 1831, 1835, Seneca Omsted; 1821, Samuel Baldwin; 1836-38, Darius Smith; 1829, Quartus Brown; 1843, Josiah Cleveland; 1844-46, Israel Bourne; 1847, John McKinnon; 1848, William Bixby; 1849, Hiram Bixby; 1850, Samuel Y. Scofield; 1851-54, Harlow Bundy; 1855, E. Kentfield; 1856, Steelman Smith; 1858, Alfred C. Bailey; 1858, 1866, A. A. Van Horn; 1859, Lewis Kentfield; 1860, 1862, 1867, Alpheus Bolt; 1861, James A. Baker; 1863-65, W. G. Willis; 1873, John B. Parker; 1874, Roswell B. Whitman; 1875, Nathan Parker; 1876, John E. Barnaby; 1877, Alfred L. Austin; 1878, J.J. Whitney; 1879 Frederick M. Smith.
The census of 1875 showed that the town contained of improved land, 20,983 acres; unimproved, 9,697; total, 30, 679.
The value of real estate was $1,038,890. Plowed land amounted to 2,418 acres; pasture, 10,165 acres; mowing, 7,644 acres. The gross sales from farms in 1874 were $117,622. There were in the town in 1875, 2, 105 cows. Butter produced, 289,025 pounds. The number of acres, by the report of the supervisors for 1878, is 33,100 valued at $14 per acre; and the equalized value, $462,400.
The population of Masonville at the dates of censuses for the last forty-five years, as shown by the "red book" of the Legislature, has been as follows: 1835, 1,278; 1840, 1,420; 1845, 1,388; 1850, 1,550; 1855, 1,543; 1850, 1,684; 1865, 1,700; 1870, 1,738; 1875, 1,660.
For some years pat the two great political parties have been nearly equally represented. The voters being largely farmers, the elections are quiet.
For the last fifteen years the population has slightly decreased. Emigration to the west is the chief cause.
Dairying is the principal industry. Eight-seven years ago the town was all forest, through which roamed wild beasts unmolested.
THE VILLAGE OF MASONVILLE
This village is a part of lot No.13 in the Evans patent, the whole of which lot, containing 1,067 acres, is claimed by the heirs of Mrs. Martha Bradstreet. Most of the occupants have compromised for two-thirds of the claims by paying $5,000 to William Youmans, attorney for that portion of the claimants. Edward L. Bradstreet refuses to compromise, and has commenced suits for the recovery of the other third. All the suits in Masonville and Tompkins are at present suspended, awaiting a decision in the Court of Appeals in a suit tried in Herkimer county, on the question whether the title to the lands is vested in the trustees, if so, adverse possession for twenty years under a claim of title would constitute a valid defense.
In 1798 Timothy Eastman took the first lease of sub 8, in lot 13, in the Evans patent, embracing the site of the village of Masonville. This lease was assigned to Reuben Bump, and by him to one Nash, and by Nash to Darius Smith, grandfather of Stedman Smith, in 1801. These parties held possession, and their successors have done so ever since, the title having been purchased of the lessor. The people having purchased in good faith, and cleared up and improved the lands without knowledge of the trust deed, there being no record of it, as before state, till 1859, feel it to be a great wrong and hardship to be troubled by a secret (so far as the record showed in Delaware county) and, as they believe, fraudulent transaction more than seventy years ago.
There are about 200 inhabitants in the village; two lawyers, James K. Bawmus and Warren Willis; four physicians, Israel E. Bourne and son Henry, Isaac J. Whitney and H. J. Travis; five stores; one grist and one saw-mill; one shingle and spoke factory; one tavern; four blacksmith shops, and one cooper shop.
THE CHURCHES OF MASONVILLE
The First Baptist Church of Masonville was organized January 27th, 1810, by the adoption of articles of faith and a church covenant at the house of Collins Brown, then in Sidney, with eight members, namely: Caleb Bennett, Collins Brown, Joseph Sanders, John Balcom, Darius S. Smith, Lois Balcom, Zilphia Smith and Sally Welch. On the 15th of January, 1812, twenty-two more had been added to the church, when it was recognized and received into the fellowship with sister churches by a council convened for the purpose, composed of delegates from the Baptist churches of Franklin, Oxford and Coventry; one Brown, from the church of West Springfield, and G. Scofield, from the church of Clifton Park. The same year the church united with the Franklin Baptist Association, where it remained till 1854, when it was dismissed to join the Deposit Baptist Association, in which it still remains.
The pastors were: Orange Spencer, for seven years from 1812; temporary supplies six years; John N. Ballard, two (to 1825); Simeon P. Griswold, ten; Henry Robertson, eight; E. L. Benedict, one; James Amner, three (to 1847); Henry Robertson, ten; E.C. Cook, one; M. Evarts, three; Henry Sherwood, one; E. Baldwin and others, one; E.T. Jacobs, four; E.H. Covey, four and a half, by himself and a substitute (M. Pierce) while Mr. Covey was a chaplain in the army. There was then no pastor two years. In 1867 B. l. Wellman was ordained; he preached one and a half years, when N. Ripley became pastor (in 1869) and he has continued such till the present time (1879).
The deacons have been as follows: Darius S. Smith, Elijah Whitman, Abijah Cady, Oliver Kneeland, Phineas Bennett, Henry Chandler, Asa Gillett, Silas Kneeland, Icabod P. Whitman, Isaac Randall and Roswell P. Whitman. Like all the earlier churches, this one met for worship in private houses, school-houses and barns. The boundaries of the church included about four hundred square miles in Masonville, Sidney, Bainbridge and Tompkins, and the members held meetings in the different localities till 1819, when they built a meeting-house and enclosed it, about half a mile east of the present village. In this they held their meetings for seven years, summer and winter, before they were able to finish the interior, and three years more before stoves were set up. Here the church worshipped some twenty years, when it build a new and convenient house near the center of the village, in which it now worships.
Several churches around have been formed in whole or part from this, namely, those of Sidney Centre, Trout Creek, Sidney, Unadilla, Bennettsville and Sanford, and several members were dismissed to unite with the Deposit Baptist Church. The whole Number of persons who have united with this church is 746. The present membership is 130. An efficient Sunday-school has long been sustained through the year.
The following preachers were baptized in this church: Jacob Knapp, George Scofield, Charles Fox, Simeon P. Brown and John Ballard. Henry Robertson, B.L.Wellman and ---Brunson were ordained there, and six men have been licensed to preach.
Congregational.-The second church in the town was the Congregational, formed June 18th, 1818. The Rev. Caleb Wright was moderator of the council. The constituent members numbered forty-three, of whom seventeen were males. The early records being lost the names cannot now be given. Most of them had previously belonged to the Congregational church of Sidney, which was formed August 14th, 1808. The first deacons were Enos Goodman, Elijah Bryant and Thomas B. Palmer. They have a pleasant and commodious house of worship and about sixty members. The present pastor is Rev. Sumner Mandeville, who has served thirteen years.
In 1820 the Rev. John M. Mason and his wife, Ann, of the Bradstreet family, granted a lot of one hundred and twelve acres of land for the support of the ministry of this church. A society was formed to receive the grant, under the law providing for the incorporation of religious societies, under the name of the First Presbyterian Society of Masonville. The farm and parsonage are about a mile south of the village. The farm has been partly cleared, and is cultivated for the benefit of the church. It is a good piece of land, and suitable for farming and dairying.
Rev. Egbert Roosa was settled as pastor in 1822. John B. Fish became stated supply in 1830 for three years. Charles Chapman next officiated; then Samuel Manning, seven years; Moses Thatcher, two; ---Thorp---; Harvey Smith, eight; George T. Everest, eight; A.H. Fullerton, one; Sumner Mandeville, thirteen. The first and present house of worship was erected in 1822-23, and was remodeled in 1852. The present number of members is sixty.
The church has been connected with the Susquehanna Association and the Chenango Presbytery, and is now in the Binghampton Presbytery. It "has always been feeble as to number and means, and for most of its existence has been dependent on home mission funds for support." The title to its property is now in litigation by the Bradstreet heirs, and the financial fate of the church depends upon the decision of the courts.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Masonville was organized in 1822. From this time till 1851 meetings were held principally in the school-house. In 1851 a commodious church was erected. In 1873 the church was enlarged and modernized, the seats cushioned, and both outside and inside it was nicely painted. In 1864 a large and convenient parsonage was purchased, and a lot containing two acres of land. All of the church property is free from debt. The following are the names of the pastors, with the year of their appointment: 1822, Joshua Rogers; 1823, John Griffin; 1824, Isaac Grant and E. King ; 1825, W. G. Warner, H. Barnes and E. King; 1826, M. Preston and Benjamin Shipman; 1827, H. Peck and G. Evans; 1828, G. Evans and R. Summery; 1829, J. M. Brooks and M. Rugan; 1830, J. M. Brooks and E. Colson; 1831, M. Rugan and P.G. Budgeman; 1832, 1833, R. Reignolds and J. Demeway; 1834, S. Stocking and G. G. Hapgood; 1835, D. Fancer; 1836, R. Ingols and D. Fancher; 1837, T.D. Wire and S. B. Taramgton; 1838, T. D. Wire and A.G. Burlingame; 1839, A. G. Burlingame and A. Moore; 1840, Ira D. Warren and A. Brown; 1841, Ira D. Warren, F.P. Cleveland and E.C. Shelgles; 1842, 1843, J. Brooker and R. S. Rose; 1844, P. Bartlett and B. Ferris; 1845, G. Evans and B. Ferris; 1846, G. Evans and A. Daeal; 1847, E. P. Bucher and W. G. Queal; 1848, 1849,E.W. Breckenridge and A. R. Wells; 1850, E. P. Beebe and W. G. Queal; 1851, E. D. Thurston, G. G. Wells and J. E. Hide; 1852, 1853, L. Hartsaugh; 1854, 1855, Joel Davis; 1856, R. O. Beebe; 1857, L. M. Sackett; 1858, A. Burlingame, 1859, 1860, A. C. Smith, 1861, J. M. Williams; 1862, William Southworth; 1863, S. Moore; 1864, 1865, 1866, F. Willis; 1867, 1868, G. M. Mead; 1869, 1870,1871, R. Southworth; 1872, 1873, L.A. Wild; 1874, 1875, George W. Hathaway; 1876, 1877, A. Brown; 1878, 1879, A.H. Harding (the present pastor). The M. E. society when first formed in Masonville comprised seven members. The church has had a steady growth from the first. There are now connected with this station one hundred and twenty-five members, among whom are some of the best families in the place.
HORACE D. BAILEY, farmer, East Masonville, was born in Unadilla February 21, 1812, and is a son of John and Polly Bailey. He came to Masonville in 1824, and has lived on the farm ever since. He married Harriet Jackson, a native of Delaware county, in 1839; they have four sons living, Edgar H., Marshall I., Frederick J. and Frank D. A daughter, Helen H., died April 21st, 1868. Mr. Bailey's father, James Bailey, was in the war of 1812, and his grandfather in the Revolutionary war.
J. E. BARNEBY, merchant at Masonville, was born in Otsego county, N.Y., September 17th, 1838. He commenced business by working for others at farming, in 1846. He was engaged in seventeen battles and wounded three times. He has been in trade in Masonville two years, and has been supervisor of the town. He was married December 13th, 1866, to Marian Gould, of Masonville; they have three children.
GEORGE S. BARTLETT, son of James P. and Elizabeth Bartlett, was born in the town of Sidney June 26th, 1853, and came to Masonville with his parents in 1856, where he has been engaged in farming and teaching. He was elected school commissioner of the first district in the fall of 1878.
JOHN H. BAUMES, attorney at law, Masonville, is a son of David and Maria Baumes, and was born in the town of Bethlehem, Albany county, N. Y. , March 14th, 1839. He came to Delaware county at the age of nine years. He began farming in 1860, and in 1865 engaged in limbering, which he carried on two years, and was then in the hardware business in Masonville until the fall of 1872. He then commenced the study of law, attended the Albany law school, and was admitted to the bar in 1876. He was married October 24th, 1860 to Sarah L. Bolt, and they have two children.
GILBERT BOGART was born at Catskill, N.Y., January 23rd, 1825. He came to Delaware county with his parents in 1838, and was married to Hannah M. Beach in 1848; they have one child. Mr. Bogart has been engaged in farming, and was in the war of the Rebelllon in the 61st N.Y. infantry and the 1st N.Y. engineers.
ALPHEUS BOLT was born in Masonville October 15th, 1830, and was married to Mary M. DeForest April 20th, 1847. She died in 1848, and Mr. Bolt married Jane Burch July 6th, 1852; he has five children. He has been engaged in farming and teaching; was a superintendent of schools ten years, supervisor of the town, and representative in the Legislature two years, 1870 and 1871. His father was a native on Connecticut, and settled in 1814 on the place occupied by the son.
ALBERT C. BOURNE, merchant at Masonville, was born in the town March 1st, 1845, and is a son of Dr. I. C. Bourne. He commenced business at Sidney Plains in 1871, and came from there to Masonville, where he has since been engaged in business. He was married to Dora Searls, of Pittsfield, November 21st, 1871.
ISRAEL C. BOURNE physician and surgeon, Masonville, was born in Paris, now Marshall, Oneida county, N.Y., March 20th, 1815. He studied at Hamilton, reading medicine with Drs. J. and E. Babcock in 1837-39. He took his degree and began practice in Masonville in 1839. In January, 1841, he married Mary A. Thurber, who died in 1848. In July, 1849, he married Miss J.C. Whitman. In 1852 he received the degree of M.D. from New York Medical College, and the honorary degree of A. M. in 1856. He has been supervisor, and a member of the State medical society, and president of the county medical society three years.
GEORGE F. CLARK, farmer, post-office Trout Creek, was born in England June 2nd, 1818, and came to America with his parents in 1820. He has since resided in Delaware county. He was married to Mary Parker, in February, 1863.
A. COUSE was born on the farm he now occupies October 9th, 1828, and was married to Sarah M. Rogers February 15th, 1847: they have three children.
JOHN A. CRAWFORD, harness maker and farmer, Masonville, was born in 1839 in the town of Sidney, and came to Masonville in 1868. He was married in 1869 to Caroline Bradshaw, of Delaware county, and has one child. Mr. Crawford enlisted in the 6th Wisconsin regiment in 1861, and was in many great battles. He lost his right leg at Gettysburg while forming the lines, July 1st, 1863; was discharged in May, 1864, and has since resided in Masonville.
ADRIEL DEYO, post-office Trout Creek, was born in Otsego county, N.Y., April 4th, 1831. He came to Masonville in 1865, and has since resided here. He was married in 1856 to Tamson Sugles, and has one child, named Emma.
JAMES S. FOSTER, farmer, was born in Masonville May 6th, 1834. He resided in Otsego county from 1852 to 1855, and in New York city, where he was engaged in the custom house, from 1857 to 1861. He married Mary M. Utley, and they have two children.
FRANK FORSYTH, son of John and Jessie Forsyth, was born in Sidney January 6th, 1843. He married Addia H. Wheat, of this county, in 1868; they have one child. Mr. Forsyth has always been engaged in farming.
WILLIAM FULLER was born in Sandford, N.Y., October 28th, 1840. He came to Masonville in 1855, and has resided in the town since. He was married in 1864 to Emeline Parker, of Masonville, and has two children.
MICHAEL GAFFITY was born in Ireland in the year 1820. He came to the town of Tompkins at the age of seven years and engaged in farming. He died June 17th, 1876. He was married to Sarah Van Valkenburg, and afterward (in 1851) to Annie E. Denmeth. He had two children.
A.F. GETTER, Son of John C. and Maria Getter, was born in Schoharie county, N.Y., June 20th, 1830, and was married February 11th, 1852, to Mary M. Case, a native of Hartford, Conn. He came to Masonville with his parents in 1837. He was in the 104th Ohio regiment during the Rebellion, was in several important battles, and was discharged in June, 1863. He has one child.
THOMAS GRAHAM, farmer (post-office Trout Creek), was born in Delaware county November 22nd, 1826. He came to the town of Masonville with his parents about 1833, and has since resided in the town. He was married October 28th, 1847, to Amanda M. Rulenber, of Otsego county , and they have two children. Mr. Graham was in the 90th N.Y. infantry during the Rebellion.
LOCKWOOD KEITH [the book shows the name this way] was born in Milford, Otsego county, N.Y., July 6th 1836; came to Delaware county in 1866, and has since resided here. He was married in February, 1858, to Mary Richards, of Otsego county, N.Y., and has one child. He was engaged in shoemaking until he came to Delaware county, since which time he has been a farmer.
L.B. KNEELAND [this is Levi Brown Kneeland , ancestor of transcriber], was born in Masonville July 12, 1827, and married February 23rd, 1851, to Harriet B. Kneiff [initial should be P. for Permelia]; they have six children. Mr. Kneeland is a farmer. His father, Silas Kneeland, was born in Jericho (now Bainbridge) in 1801, and came into this town in 1802.
E. C. MAKLEY, blacksmith at Masonville, a son of David and Louisa Makley, was born in Massachusetts December 22nd, 1840. He removed with his parents to Sidney Plains in 1845, and to Masonville in 1860, and has been in business since. He married* Cordelia D. Willis January 25th, 1865, and has one child.
*In fact E.C Makley married Nancy Cordelia (aka Cordelia N.) Wells January 25,1866 they had one child named Wilson named after her brother Wilson J. (aka. Joel W.) Wells killed 1864 in the Civil War. Both were children of Nancy and Joel Wells. Joel was son of Levie Wells. This should open new areas of investigation. Regards, Jackie Gallagher, August 10, 2000
L.P. MAY, farmer, was born in Chenango county, N.Y., November 28th, 1827. He came to Delaware county in 1859, and was married September 25th, 1862 to Emily M. Beach.
H.M. MILLS, farmer, son of Henry and Mary Mills, was born in Tompkins December 16th 1826. He came in 1832 to Masonville, where he has since lived. He was married October 13th [no year given] to Etha Bixby, of Masonville, and they have three children, Flora M., John B. and Wilbert H.
WALTON H. MILLS at the age of six years came from Tompkins to Masonville, where he is now carrying on a farm. He was born December 16th, 1826, in the town of Tompkins, and married Effie Bixby, of Masonville.
R. McKINNON, hotel keeper at Masonville, is a native of this town, and was born December 9th, 1853. Florence Scofield, also of Masonville, was the lady who became Mrs. McKinnon.
THEODORE OLMSTED, one of the farmers of Masonville, was born in Masonville February 22nd, 1842. He was married in 1869 to Deborah Parker, of Masonville, and has two children. He began farming in 1864, but enlisted in the same year, and served one year in a regiment of engineers.
HENRY PAUL was born in Saratoga county, N.Y., April 16th, 1807. He came to Masonville with his parents about 1810, and has since resided in the town, except two years in Chenango county. He was married October 22nd, 1828, to Salona Scofield. She died in November, 1870. They had six children.
JAMES W. RAMSDELL, farmer, was born in Massachusetts April 9th, 1822. He came to Sandford, Broome county, with his parents in 1834, and in 1839 to Masonville, where he has since lived. He was married in 1854 to Susan O. Thurber. She died in 1876, and Mr. Ramsdell married Emma Lyon in 1877 and has one child.
ISAAC RANDALL was born in Chenango county, N.Y., June 10th, 1814, and came in 1825 to Masonville, where he has since carried on a farm. He was married September 24th,1848 [date could be 1843-hard to read] to Sally May, and they have two children, of whom Lucy E. was married to Calvin Teed in 1864.
REV. NATHANIEL RIPLEY, pastor of the Baptist church of Masonville, was born in Franklyn county, Mass, November 3rd, 1815, and was married December 20th, 1838, to Mary A. Ellis, of Massachusetts. He came to Masonville in 1869, and has been pastor of the Baptist church since. He has one child.
WILLIAM H. ROBERTSON, farmer, was born in Walton September 10th,1839, and resided there till the spring of 1878, when he moved to Masonville. He was married in 1860 to Abigail Gould, of Walton, and they have four children. Mr. Robertson's grandfather was in the war of the Revolution.
F.W.SMITH, tanner, was born in this town January 30th,1831, and was married to Ledy A. Wells, February 22nd, 1855: they have five children. His father, Hazor Smith, was born in Massachusetts and came with his father, Darius, and settled in 1801 on the land where the village of Masonville now stands. The land now occupied has always been held by the Smith family. Mr. F. W. Smith has been justice of the peace six years.
ELIZABETH RANDALL STEBBINS was born in Masonville, N.Y. March 18th, 1826, and is a daughter of Thomas W. and Ruth Randall. She was married in December, 1848, to Charles H. Stebbins, and native of Vermont, who came with his parents to Masonville at the age of twelve years. Mr. Stebbins died September 2nd, 1862. Mrs. Stebbins has two children.
HIRAM SCOFIELD was born at Half Moon, N.Y., May 7th,1812. He came to Masonville with his parents, Gilbert and Hannah Scofield, in 1813, and has resided in the town since. He was married in 1836 to Nancy Ompsid, and has seven children. He has been supervisor of the town. He is engaged in farming.
MARY B. STRAIN (post-office Sidney Plains), a daughter of John Strain, Esq., was born in Otsego county, N.Y. in 1814. She was married to Edward Evans in 1835, and they have four children. A son, J. B. Evans, was in the 144th regiment, Company A, and died from the effects of wounds received in action on James Island.
HENRY M. THORP, farmer, post-office Sidney Plains, was born in Montgomery county, N.Y. in 1822, and married to Maria Miller, of Fulton county, in 1841. She died in 1871, and he married Susan Clark, of Norwich, in 1872: they have three children. Mr. Thorp came to the town of Masonville in 1842, and located on the farm where he now resides.
H.J. VAIL, dealer in drugs and groceries, and postmaster, Masonville, was born in this town October 18th, 1845, and commenced business for himself in April, 1871. He was first appointed postmaster July 23rd, 1873.
REUBEN A. VAIL, builder, Masonville, son of Elias and Ann, was born in Masonville August 3rd,1820. He began farming in 1841, and was afterward in mercantile business. He married Martha Gilbert, a native of Massachusetts, July 3rd,1844: they have nine children.
MARY REYNOLD WALEY was born in Albany county in 1812, and was married to John Waley, a native of Connecticut, October 3rd, 1837, and has two children-Harriet and Elmer. Her son Dighton E. was in the 61st N.Y. infantry, and was killed at the battle of Fair Oaks, VA, June 1st, 1862, aged twenty-one years and eight months.
ROSWELL B. WHITMAN was born in Masonville March 2nd, 1834, and married January 15th,1863, to Louise Wheat, of Sidney; they have six children. Mr. Whitman is engaged in farming.
STEPHEN WHITMAN, farmer, son of Elijah and Mary Whitman, was born in Saratoga county, N.Y. in 1806, and came with his parents in 1809 and settled within one mile of where he now resides. He was married in 1834 to Mary A. Brown, who died May 1st, 1877. He has ten children.
I.J. WHITNEY, physician and surgeon, was born in Otsego county, N.Y., May 28th,1848. He commenced the study of medicine with his father, William H. Whitney, in 1867, and in 1870 commenced to attend lectures in Philadelphia Institute. He graduated in 1871, and came at once to Masonville and began practice. He was elected supervisor of the town in 1878.
W.H. WILSON, proprietor of the Wilson House, Masonville, was born in Walton April 3rd,1852. A few weeks after his birth his father, Freeman Wilson, removed to the town of Tompkins, where he lived until he took charge of the hotel at Masonville, in 1871. He was married to Ella Vail May 20th,1874 and has one son.
JOHN M. WILLIS, farmer, son of Warren and Hannah Willis, was born in the town of Masonville February 20th, 1824, and was married in 1848 to Mary A. Harris, a native of New Jersey and resident of Steuben county, N.Y. when married. They have two children.
JOSHUA S. WILLIS, farmer, was born in Masonville in 1822, and was married to Elizabeth Whitman, of Masonville, in 1852; they have two children.