Biography of William O'Connor
William O'Connor was born in the town of Andes, Delaware county, August 27, 1827. James, the father, was a blacksmith by
trade, and also a native of Delaware county, and William was nine years of age when the family removed to Steuben county, NY.
They remained in Hornellsville but a year, then removed to Mt. Morris, Livingston county, where he died August 7, 1847. The
mother of our subject was also of Delaware county, and died in 1880, aged sisty-six. Of their three children, two survive: James, a
tanner, and William. The latter was educated in the public schools, and at the age of eighteen engaged in tanning, which trade he
learned in Mt. Morris, and which he has ever since continued. In 1850 he bought a small tannery at Almond (Allegany county, NY),
which was burned in 1864, and he then removed to Hornellsville and bought the Rose & Benton tannery on Seneca Street, which
has become noted as the O'Connor Tannery. The output has alsways been of rough leather, but he is now changing it to sole
leather, with an output of about 90,000 sides per year. In 1879 he took his son George W., as partner, until September 29, 1894,
when the latter died. Mr. O'Connor has made a fine success of his business to which he has given most of his attention,
excluding all outside matters. For over 30 years he has been a member and trustee of the Park Methodist church (torn down to
make the 4 lane thru Hornell and relocated on North Main Street Ext.-AC). In 1850 he married Julia M. Childs of Leroy, who died
June 1, 1889. Their two children were George W. and Mrs. Dr. Samuel Mitchell.
Taken from "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896.
This family unrelated to typist, Annette Campbell, August 12, 2001
This website is held in trust by Joyce Riedinger for the use of all Delaware County Researchers
© copyright 1996-2014